What's new

Spitfire Audio : Abbey Road 1 Modular Orchestra - Speculation Thread.

I obviously cannot be too specific, but as the developer of Appassionata I can say that for me, the AR Violins are a big big step up. But that was always the goal right? The purpose of the modular is to quite literally push the boundaries. That should be no secret at this point and we're holding ourselves to the highest possible standard.
Reading the above reply by @Karma , makes me super excited about AR1MO Strings in general.

A big big step up from Appassionata is quite a BIG statement.

So... Maybe more lyrical, molto vibrato option for the upcoming AR1MO Vlns 1 , with the ability to crossfade the vibrato as needed via CC#, which imho. is one of the very important musical functions of a Vlsn 1 section.

I'm also curious if there is a First Chair player option that can be mixed in as needed, and hopefully a reasonable number of mic options (not an over kill), a very healthy set of articulations especially for the Pro version, for both shorts, longs, legatos.

Reading the above reply by @Karma , makes me super excited about AR1MO Strings in general.

A big big step up from Appassionata is quite a BIG statement.

So... Maybe more lyrical, molto vibrato option for the upcoming AR1MO Vlns 1 , with the ability to crossfade the vibrato as needed via CC#, which imho. is one of the very important musical functions of a Vlsn 1 section.

I'm also curious if there is a First Chair player option that can be mixed in as needed, and hopefully a reasonable number of mic options (not an over kill), a very healthy set of articulations especially for the Pro version, for both shorts, longs, legatos.
It will be interesting to see the release of this one. This one is probably going to be quite an important release for them as the rest of the strings are probably going be based on the same amount/number of articulations and similar approach.

I'm hoping it really is a big step up! We shall see soon. I think the next AR module release is due this coming Thursday so if it is not the next percussion module then it will probably be the Violins 1.

I obviously cannot be too specific, but as the developer of Appassionata I can say that for me, the AR Violins are a big big step up. But that was always the goal right? The purpose of the modular is to quite literally push the boundaries. That should be no secret at this point and we're holding ourselves to the highest possible standard.
I know you cant say anything, but give us a wink of there's still a Timpani on the horizon....

There's a lot of guessing in pricing going on and I appreciate new tech may have been invested in refining the Legato technology, however, I would say it needs to be competitive with what has already been out there for some of us to bite. People have not been pleased with the high price of the percussion, and it's likely most won't buy at those prices and wait for a sale. I expect that the top tier will also be £399 for 1st Violins, but because of the cost associated with the overall investment they are now bringing in a core to get more purchases.

For customers, it's hard to go in at £399 when there's a direct contrast in selling the likes of Thematic Horns for £50, and it contains:

Thematic Horns has:
Performance Legato
Lyricial Legato
Longs
Long Sfz
Marcato
Tenuto
Staccato
Staccatissimo

With:
Mix 1, Mix 2, Vintage 1, Vintage 2, Pop Cl, Pop R, Close, Tree, Tree 2, Ambient, Outriggers, Spill

Eh... a Horns release, for example, could have a solo horn (or two) and perhaps two distinct group sizes across 2-3x as many techniques, more dynamic layers, and a broader playable range than the Selection. That could easily hit 399.

Violins would hit that much on prestige alone, and it could have an absurd number of techniques.

Last edited:
I wondered about this too. Core could be a very cut down set of articulations, maybe not a whole lot more than SCS Essentials. That would likely mean an even larger spread in price between core and pro. After his description I feel confident that there will be more differences between core and pro than just microphones, that is, I think pro will have more articulations, perhaps many more, and they will be presented as extended or decorative, things like sul tasto, sul pont, trills larger than a second, different speeds of trem, maybe alternative notes on different strings, etc. Given the 95% comment Core might look something like Berlin Symphonic Strings in terns of articulations, and Pro maybe similar to Hollywood Strings or even beyond. But who really knows? I do hope that the articulation list for pro feels entirely comprehensive, with no corners cut.
Maybe it will have more tiers, just like good ol' EWQL Symphony Orchestra had Silver, Gold and Platinum (and Platinum+, but it's just a waste of space considering it adds 16-bit recordings to platinum, which already offers 24-bit recordings).

Wonder how much money Spitfire has / will end up investing in the Abbey Road project. $5M? $10M? Accounting for R&D (there's been a number of mentions of booking sessions purely to test things out, but having no commercial output), session time, editing time, scripting time, etc.

Eh... a Horns release, for example, could have a solo horn (or two) and perhaps two distinct group sizes across 2-3x as many techniques, more dynamic layers, and a broader playable range than the Selection. That could easily hit 399.

Violins would hit that much on prestige alone, and it could have an absurd number of techniques.
We're talking just first violins. Solos are unlikely to be included, and the fact you need to add 'an absurd number of techniques', to make it worth 399 is exactly my point, that its a hard sell if it's not packed beyond what is offered already at £50.

Wonder how much money Spitfire has / will end up investing in the Abbey Road project. $5M? $10M? Accounting for R&D (there's been a number of mentions of booking sessions purely to test things out, but having no commercial output), session time, editing time, scripting time, etc.
I read, I don't know if it was in an old topic here, or in an external source, that the EWQLSO (before the XP sessions) already costed them 1 million dollars.
If we were to extrapolate, and considering inflation, I think your 10 million $ figure might be quite close.

Just a quick question...
Here's a wip of a mockup that I'm preparing in order to use it as a demo for the upcoming violins. Would y'all prefer the mockup to be made entirely with Abbey Road libraries (except the piano, since there is none yet), or should I use Pacific as a layering tool for legato support for the other string sections? The first version only uses strings from AROOF, the second one is Pacific and AROOF.

View attachment ET excerpt AROOF Strings.mp3
View attachment ETT excerpt Pacific Strings.mp3

For customers, it's hard to go in at £399 when there's a direct contrast in selling the likes of Thematic Horns for £50, and it contains:

Thematic Horns has:
Performance Legato
Lyricial Legato
Longs
Long Sfz
Marcato
Tenuto
Staccato
Staccatissimo

With:
Mix 1, Mix 2, Vintage 1, Vintage 2, Pop Cl, Pop R, Close, Tree, Tree 2, Ambient, Outriggers, Spill
Yes but most of those art only have like 2 or 3 dynamic layers. If I recall shorts have two and legatos and long have three. I guess that for the Modular Orchestra there will be 4-5 dynamics. Its a big difference, specially for the legatos.

Just a quick question...
Here's a wip of a mockup that I'm preparing in order to use it as a demo for the upcoming violins. Would y'all prefer the mockup to be made entirely with Abbey Road libraries (except the piano, since there is none yet), or should I use Pacific as a layering tool for legato support for the other string sections? The first version only uses strings from AROOF, the second one is Pacific and AROOF.
I like the first one!

Core will be less mics (or a single mix), no question. I'd imagine they'll be further cuts too in terms of articulations, with a focus on the core playing styles. PT more or less suggested this second point I think with reference to "includes what you use 90% of the time" (Paraphrased!)

My guess though, is that whatever "secret sauce" in terms of legato etc comes with the new strings, 'Core won't be diddled out of it. Especially if it's "baked in" to the code of the library in the first place, or sampled in a specific way like Appasionata.

Core will be less mics (or a single mix), no question. I'd imagine they'll be further cuts too in terms of articulations, with a focus on the core playing styles. PT more or less suggested this second point I think with reference to "includes what you use 90% of the time" (Paraphrased!)

My guess though, is that whatever "secret sauce" in terms of legato etc comes with the new strings, 'Core won't be diddled out of it. Especially if it's "baked in" to the code of the library in the first place, or sampled in a specific way like Appasionata.
Depending on how many “flavors” of legato the full set up ends up having, I could see core having only a subset of those, maybe only a small subset. But I imagine at the least core will have the most common legato type(s), the equivalent of Appassionata. Then a good selection of shorts (at least spic, stac, and marcato plus pizz), and the common decorative articulations—trills in half and whole steps, trems, long harmonics. Hopefully real rebow as well. Lots of round robins on shorts, 5 (or more) dynamic layers on shorts and longs, at least three dynamic layers on legato transitions (as with Appassionata). Maybe a runs legato as well, as with SCS.

I’d like to imagine Pro having a total performance patch plus at least as many varieties of legato (and probably not the same set) as SCS, though perhaps not con sord, if they are planning a con sord expansion. Probably not divisi either if they are planning a divisi expansion that would also serve as a smaller ensemble, possibly even chamber strings (depending how they set it up.) I’d like to think they sampled each string individually for Pro so you will be able to select a figure to be played on the G string or D string, etc., and up bow and down bow, and of course sul tasto, sul pont, harmonics with shorts, longs, trem, and legato. Also different vibrato set ups, if that’s needed to work with the impulse legato tech. And so forth. There’s really so much I’d like to see the pro version have but managing it all is likely to prove most difficult, beyond the cost and limitations of the SF plugin. I am most curious what it might all look like in terms of comprehensiveness.

Top Bottom