What's new

Piano Library

Most, if not all computer based instruments are a load of crap when compared to the real thing. The real thing will triumph every single time. But that's not really the point is it?

That is not correct. It is very much dependent on what is written and whether or not it could even actually be played by a live ensemble and sound any good. Many times there are examples of even string arrangements that have something that a live ensemble does not. Again, it's dependent on the writing style and what it's for.

Certain instruments suffer when exposed and very much to the fore is the piano. It's a really difficult thing to get right compared to a good, real piano. Even a good cheap one. If it's for piano sounds that are buried or in the background, then it probably doesn't matter, but the second it's solo, it's generally crap. Same with the oboe, and solo stringed instruments and so on and etc.
You also have to remember that most of the people that populate these music forums use a midi keyboard and are crap keyboard players. They would sound even more crap on a real piano and that's another issue unto itself.

Reactions: AKM
Basically, nearly ALL good piano samples...Ivory (love the American), Ravenscroft 275, Orange Tree, can, with some good software/reverbs, imaging software, etc be anything you want it to be...
Many offer the ability to soften the attack, as does Ivory. I always feel starting with a very good saounding instrument is always a good way to go. Just my .02

Own it, love it. Great demo.
Yeah, Sampletekk pianos are great. I also really like their Yamaha 7CG Grand that they had sampled. Obviously very different from the Steinway. I forgot that I had made this comparison video of the Sampletekk 7CG and the Black Grand.

And for the umpteenth time, Art Vista's VG-2, to me the virtual piano that sounds most like there is air moving when I strike a note. It doesn't have the dynamic range of some modern pianos, but it is a great, easily EQ-d bread and butter instrument. It's my daily go to over Ivory, Emotional, Piano in Blue, Sonivox 88, Imperfect's Braunschweig, Vintage D and the other umpteen pianos I own.

And for the umpteenth time, Art Vista's VG-2, to me the virtual piano that sounds most like there is air moving when I strike a note. It doesn't have the dynamic range of some modern pianos, but it is a great, easily EQ-d bread and butter instrument. It's my daily go to over Ivory, Emotional, Piano in Blue, Sonivox 88, Imperfect's Braunschweig, Vintage D and the other umpteen pianos I own.
+1 for Art Vista Virtual Grand. It has an authenticity of tone like very few other sampled pianos, and has many well sculptured presets offering a wide range of variations to suit different settings/mixes. The Art Vista Supergrand is an interesting concept - a hybrid between their Virtual Grand (1960 Hamburg Steinway B) and their Swedish Malmsjo Grand. Have a listen to the demos and notice the resonance and dynamics.

Most, if not all, computer based pianos are a load of crap.

Well, crap is probably a bit exaggerated, but I have not found a piano library that I would guess were a real piano yet. They all end up a bit plastic. But some are close, like Production Grand 2 and Ravenscroft.

Yes, there are so many piano libraries out there but I hope they keep trying.

Well, crap is probably a bit exaggerated, but I have not found a piano library that I would guess were a real piano yet. They all end up a bit plastic. But some are close, like Production Grand 2 and Ravenscroft.

Yes, there are so many piano libraries out there but I hope they keep trying.
I wish I had discovered the Art Vista pianos earlier, after many disappointing purchases of 'plastic' sounding sampled pianos. Art Vista pianos are very real & resonant in tone - they are my first port of call if I'm after an authentic, character filled piano sound in many tracks.

Top Bottom