What's new

Motorized faders to control Kontakt CC parameters

The problem with the Control is there is no display on the 4 faders. I can't emphasise enough how important that display is - I'm constantly switching between volume, pan, sends, CCs etc and switching between single and multichannel mode. And of course roaming round projects with hundreds of channels. Without clear displays, it comes just a big dumb nightmare. Also the touchscreen on the control is not really that big a deal IMO - it tends to just get used for a few softkeys. And finally being able to mix on 8 faders is preferable to 4 for me - I do tend to grab whole armfuls at once on occasion.

The names of the 4 channels are displayed on the screen. While i agree is better to have them on top of the fader, it takes very little time to adapt to this (its just something like 10 degrees on the right anyway). Due to the fact that its just 4 channel info, you never get too lost there.

The soft keys shouldnt be overlooked, they can be used for basically anything you can think of (they can send QWERTY commands too). You can, for example, add your plugin(s) with a single touch on the screen, and map every parameter as you wish to the rotary knobs. You can define your own sets of softkeys, creating your own customized intefrace.

Its actually the closest thing to "not looking at the screen" controller type, and not limited just for the mixing stage.

Where have you seen or heard about a hack for the S3 so one can have faders for CCs ? Love to try it out...
I saw it on a comment Trevor Morris made on Facebook on a picture of his S3. It's now the only control surface he has on his desk for both PT and Cubase.

I'm quite looking forward to the Behringer x-touch but at this rate, who know's when it'll be out.
(broken link removed)

Perhaps Nektar P1 is an option?
I'm also between the Behringer x-touch and the Nektar P1...

The P1 also interests me. However, since a GS thread in June where the Nektar dev said that the new Logic integration is imminent, there has been no news. And the faders are 45mm. The price is better. And the description of the integration if/when it is ready sounds good. The website hasn't been updated in a bit. My concern is that the Nektar software won't last. Still looks good as a generic midi controller though. But if only AKAI had put longer faders on the midimix...

I saw it on a comment Trevor Morris made on Facebook on a picture of his S3. It's now the only control surface he has on his desk for both PT and Cubase.
I saw it too, and I'm also seeking a motorized touch fader for CC automation control under cubase. Still haven't found the best solution yet. I had a faderport, but it's not working really with cubase 64bits and only concern volume automation, not CC (midi) automation. But I'm almost sure I've seen a working solution with logic audio (environment tweak) and a fadermaster...

...just to point out that, AFAIK, the S3 has the same limitation in Cubase as the Artist series of requiring you to work in automation lanes.

The S3 looks lovely if you have the space, but I'm not convinced it offers anything much above the Artist Mix for me personally. In some ways a better solution than the s3 for me would be 2 Mixes, one set to 8-fader mode, and the other set to single-channel mode, flipping between auxes, CCs etc. Like the S3, it takes up a lot more space though, obviously.

Wouldn't that be nice if Yamaha/Steinberg would come out with an Artist Mix look-alike that was tightly connected to Cubendo. That said, I wonder if a Nuage system could control CC's with it's motorized faders?

Where have you seen or heard about a hack for the S3 so one can have faders for CCs ? Love to try it out...
you can see a video of trevor here where he shows his "hacked" S3...

I'm also trying to find out where and how to "hack" it and get it to work as a midi cc controller but so far no luck and avid says it doesn't work....yeah right ;o)

Last edited:
you can see a video of trevor here where he shows his "hacked" S3...

I'm also trying to find out where and how to "hack" it and get it to work as a midi cc controller but so far no luck and avid says it doesn't work....yeah right ;o)

I've read that he use plogue bidule to hack it...

I've read that he use plogue bidule to hack it...
Do you still remember where you read this?

I've searched everywhere on the internet to find a document or guide how to change some (or all) S3 Faders to be able to send CC Midi Commands but I can't find anything and it seems only Trevor Morris was able to do this.

Do you still remember where you read this?

I've searched everywhere on the internet to find a document or guide how to change some (or all) S3 Faders to be able to send CC Midi Commands but I can't find anything and it seems only Trevor Morris was able to do this.

I believe you don't need the hack anymore as the new version of Eucon will let you spill top encoders to faders.

So in order to have it set up like Trevor Morris, simply lock the number of faders you want for CC using the Eucon app then press Quick Control and flip top encoders to faders on S3.

I have moved to the S6 since so i have no way to test this....

I believe you don't need the hack anymore as the new version of Eucon will let you spill top encoders to faders.

So in order to have it set up like Trevor Morris, simply lock the number of faders you want for CC using the Eucon app then press Quick Control and flip top encoders to faders on S3.

I have moved to the S6 since so i have no way to test this....

Hey Anhtu! Thank you very much for the info! That would be awesome, I will try it out tomorrow and tell you if it worked ;o)

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to do something very similar to this right now with an MC Mix - and have yet to get it working.
Does anyone have an (up to date) tutorial on getting it working?
What I'm hoping for is to use 3 faders on the left for dialog, temp score and my score levels, and then the last 5 faders for midi CC control.
To date, I've got quick controls PARTIALLY working - they control kontakt, but for some reason, anything recorded with them using the automation lanes does not show up in the kontakt gui - though it IS changing the sound.
(So - I can hear it go from non-vib to vib, and expression working, using CC103 and CC104 - but this is not shown on the kontakt GUI!)

I've also not got to the stage where I can have more than one fader doing CC control - but I'm still very much just starting out on this and learning as I go. I feel like I'm stabbing in the dark a little.

If it all works, the next step is to try the behringer controller, as the mc-mix belongs in another room :).......

I have had more success - but then other problems :)

Success - I've been able to get multiple CC's out accross faders. Unfortunately, locking the first 3 faders to stay as audio faders isn't working at all. I feel like I've come across some bugs in eucon / nuendo implementation, but I'll look further into this. I keep getting double ups of the locked tracks if I'm in that part of the session, and the faders don't remain audio faders when I flip the other channel to CC's. I'm not sure if some of this is by design?

Success - the quick controls DO work inside kontakt - but using Spitfire Mural for instance, some things don't show up on the GUI. CC's 103 & 104 for Dynamics and Vibrato do alter the sound, but don't show up in the GUI. But using CC23 for the tree mic DOES alter the GUI as expected.

Can anyone lend any ideas?

Many thanks! Brendan.

Further Clarification.
It seems everything is working ok if I'm NOT trying to lock a couple of tracks at the start. As soon as I do that, I can no longer get multiple CC's across faders. If i take away the locked tracks, everything works as expected - aside from the GUI inside kontakt for certain CC's.

To be sure - this is my method.
Setup quick controls for the CC's I want to control
On the Artist, press and hold the EQ button for 3 seconds. Then press flip, then shift flip - and this gets the CC's on the faders.
BUT - if I lock say Dialog to fader2, Temp Music to fader 2 and music master to fader 3, I can only control one CC at a time on the midi channel I select.
Further, the locked tracks can re-appear on the faders if I'm in a section of the project which contains one of those tracks (which I just find a very strange design decision).

Any further ideas on this?

Cheers! Brendan.

But I believe that Trevor Morris is using half of his S3 as a standard midi controller and not as an automation controller which is what Eucon allows in Cubase so I think there must be something else that he's doing. I believe he may have mentioned it in his SCL lecture (his S3 hack is pretty much the only secret he didn't disclose) but he does use midi editing controls on his touchscreen which only work for midi regions and not midi as automation so he must be using it somehow as a midi controller or else he wouldn't be able to use those controls. Perhaps he found a way to connect with Eucon in something like Max or Bidule and then translate the messages into midi CC's but I doubt that's possible.

But I believe that Trevor Morris is using half of his S3 as a standard midi controller and not as an automation controller which is what Eucon allows in Cubase so I think there must be something else that he's doing. I believe he may have mentioned it in his SCL lecture (his S3 hack is pretty much the only secret he didn't disclose) but he does use midi editing controls on his touchscreen which only work for midi regions and not midi as automation so he must be using it somehow as a midi controller or else he wouldn't be able to use those controls. Perhaps he found a way to connect with Eucon in something like Max or Bidule and then translate the messages into midi CC's but I doubt that's possible.

Yes, I think you are right... guess we never know:sad:

To be honest, i don't see the point of loosing 8 motorized faders from a $5K console for midi cc. Just get the JL Cooper Master Fader, it has excellent faders (not motorized but for strictly cc usage, it's not a problem), built like a tank and as a cc controller it does a hell of a lot more that an S3.

I was using an S3 with the JL Cooper and an iPad...a truly killer trio!

To be honest, i don't see the point of loosing 8 motorized faders from a $5K console for midi cc. Just get the JL Cooper Master Fader, it has excellent faders (not motorized but for strictly cc usage, it's not a problem), built like a tank and as a cc controller it does a hell of a lot more that an S3.

I was using an S3 with the JL Cooper and an iPad...a truly killer trio!

Well that's all that Trevor needs it for. I don't think he has more than 8 faders in PT to adjust since his stems all stay at 0 so it's basically just for dialogue, click, etc. Not for mixing. He used to only have an Artist Control (which he probably somehow also hacked for the non automation midi CC's) so he was probably having to switch it back and forth between Cubase and PT. I think going to the S3 just simplified things for him without having to get 2 separate units.

(And yes, I am a big fan of Trevor Morris's studio and have been following the changes he's made in it for quite a few years :grin: )

Well that's all that Trevor needs it for. I don't think he has more than 8 faders in PT to adjust since his stems all stay at 0 so it's basically just for dialogue, click, etc. Not for mixing. He used to only have an Artist Control (which he probably somehow also hacked for the non automation midi CC's) so he was probably having to switch it back and forth between Cubase and PT. I think going to the S3 just simplified things for him without having to get 2 separate units.

(And yes, I am a big fan of Trevor Morris's studio and have been following the changes he's made in it for quite a few years :grin: )
...was already thinking you work there :)...with all the detailed knowledge...:2thumbs:
..had high hopes you have details on how he hacked his S3...:sad: so sadly back to bribing his housekeeper :)

Top Bottom