What's new

Motorized faders to control Kontakt CC parameters

karelpsota

send nudes
Hi, I'm looking to control modulation, expression, volume, and Spitfire's mic positions with one controller.

Is there a way to have a controller automatically sending the same CC without having to reassign parameters for each new midi track? I know that the BCF 2000 has a few presets for stock EQ and synths in Logic.

If so what fader controllers do you recommend for Kontakt? (Junkie XL's FaderMaster is a bit too expensive).

-Karel

The one Tom is using I have seen on eBay for 80 - 150 bucks. It doesn't have motorized faders.

The one you are talking about is the ES8.

Can you precise what model it was?

The only one I saw is the JLCooper FaderMaster Pro on his template video.

Last edited:
Almost any midi controller like the BCF2000 will work. The Spitfire mic positions already have CC's assigned so you wouldn't have to reassign anything. The only thing with the BCF2000 (and many other controllers) is that you can't simultaneously use it as a generic CC remote and whatever automatic mapping functions it has (like Mackie emulations). One exception to this I believe is the new Avid controllers which can be split for CC's.

Almost any midi controller like the BCF2000 will work. The Spitfire mic positions already have CC's assigned so you wouldn't have to reassign anything. The only thing with the BCF2000 (and many other controllers) is that you can't simultaneously use it as a generic CC remote and whatever automatic mapping functions it has (like Mackie emulations). One exception to this I believe is the new Avid controllers which can be split for CC's.

Only the Artist mix will work (Cubase only), on the S3 the Quick Controls are spilled to the top encoders and they can't be flipped to faders.

Personally, i found motorized faders add little to no value to controlling CC. After testing the Artist mix for a few wks i end up with the JLCooper MasterFader for CCs and an S3 for mixing, really a great combo.

Thanks Gerhard and Anhtu.
I just need the CC, so the BCF is perfect (S3 and JLCooper are way too expensive for me).

Do you know if the faders respond in realtime when there is NO automation?
For example will the Spitfire volume fader go to -6 when I start my session, or do I have to move the CC volume to start the synch between the virtual and physical fader?

Last edited:
I just need the CC, so the BCF is perfect (S3 and JLCooper are way too expensive for me).
The Icon QCon EX might be an alternative to the BCF. The BCF costs a lot more now, but I guess the faders are still pretty noisy. Just a thought.

Only the Artist mix will work (Cubase only), on the S3 the Quick Controls are spilled to the top encoders and they can't be flipped to faders.

Personally, i found motorized faders add little to no value to controlling CC. After testing the Artist mix for a few wks i end up with the JLCooper MasterFader for CCs and an S3 for mixing, really a great combo.

Apparently there's a hack the S3 to split the faders for CC's.

+1 on automation being useless for CC's unless you're recording it as automation and not midi data.

The Akai Midimix is 79€ and looks very easy to assign any CC to any knob or fader. I just downloaded the Mac app for it and it is very easy. But the faders are 30mm :(

+1 on automation being useless for CC's unless you're recording it as automation and not midi data.

Yes - using the Artist as a CC controller means you have to go with automation rather than midi. Strongly disagree with Anhtu that it isn't useful to have touch faders on the automation data though.

Yes - using the Artist as a CC controller means you have to go with automation rather than midi. Strongly disagree with Anhtu that it isn't useful to have touch faders on the automation data though.
I totally agree, it would be useful to have motor faders for CCs! I just think it is a total PITA to deal with the CC data as automation, as currently implemented in Cubase. If they would make this automation data available within the key editor and give the same editing capabilities, I would immediately start using motor faders for CC data. Until then, I do it the old fasioned way with un-motorized faders.
But I have to stop here, because I think the whole integration of kontakt instruments, VSTis in general, touch screen controllers and hardware midi controllers needs a serious over-haul! So many brilliant ideas could be easily done, but current DAWs are still in the 90ies regarding that topic ...

So many brilliant ideas could be easily done, but current DAWs are still in the 90ies regarding that topic ...

Strongly agree. I've been pretty surprised at how slowly DAWs have evolved. Lots of bells and whistles, lots of bloat, but core workflow and functionality is waaaay below where it should be on all DAWs currently. I don't think any DAW is even half way as good as can be imagined with current tech. And then there's the hardware integration...

Apologies for the OT, one of my hobby horses and can never resist...

I totally agree, it would be useful to have motor faders for CCs! I just think it is a total PITA to deal with the CC data as automation, as currently implemented in Cubase. If they would make this automation data available within the key editor and give the same editing capabilities, I would immediately start using motor faders for CC data. Until then, I do it the old fasioned way with un-motorized faders.
But I have to stop here, because I think the whole integration of kontakt instruments, VSTis in general, touch screen controllers and hardware midi controllers needs a serious over-haul! So many brilliant ideas could be easily done, but current DAWs are still in the 90ies regarding that topic ...

Although I'm a Logic Pro user I think You nailed it. As Logic allows to have automation data on a track base or region base (bound to the object) the whole implementation of controllers etc needs an overhaul. All daws suffer from the same issue in my opinion.

I'm quite looking forward to the Behringer x-touch but at this rate, who know's when it'll be out.
(broken link removed)

Perhaps Nektar P1 is an option?

Apparently there's a hack the S3 to split the faders for CC's.

Where have you seen or heard about a hack for the S3 so one can have faders for CCs ? Love to try it out...

According to the Thomann site the X-Touch compact & mini are out for sale with the larger X-Touch available this week so I guess we'll find out soon what the Behringer devices are capable of controlling. Personally I'm not overly optimistic about CC handling on these but hopefully I'll be wrong as I've been holding off any purchase decisions until I hear definitively about these. (Surely Steinberg/Yamaha would have filled this gap by now... as I've said before)

I know I've pointed all this out several times before, but only the full x-touch has any display on each channel, and without a display you're blind and it's a paperweight IMO. Also it's not EuCon, and that means (AFAIK) that it won't follow you as you work around the DAW - you have to bank across potentially hundreds of channels.

That's why the only game in town for me is the Artist Mix (not the others in the series either). Tbh working with the automation lane for me hasn't been a problem at all, and the gains in every other way are tremendous.

I have an Alphatrack, it follows selection and its not Eucon so its not just Eucon limited. MAckie Control protocol follows too, i think.

Guy, I have ordered an Artist Control, i really cant understand why anybody would prefer 6 more faders than the ultra powerful touch screen. Is there a particular reason why you prefered the Mix?

I have an Alphatrack, it follows selection and its not Eucon so its not just Eucon limited. MAckie Control protocol follows too, i think.

Guy, I have ordered an Artist Control, i really cant understand why anybody would prefer 6 more faders than the ultra powerful touch screen. Is there a particular reason why you prefered the Mix?

That's interesting about the Mackie protocol - as I understood it, neither HUI or Mackie would follow selection. I've never made an app do it emulating those protocols, anyway.

The problem with the Control is there is no display on the 4 faders. I can't emphasise enough how important that display is - I'm constantly switching between volume, pan, sends, CCs etc and switching between single and multichannel mode. And of course roaming round projects with hundreds of channels. Without clear displays, it comes just a big dumb nightmare. Also the touchscreen on the control is not really that big a deal IMO - it tends to just get used for a few softkeys. And finally being able to mix on 8 faders is preferable to 4 for me - I do tend to grab whole armfuls at once on occasion.

According to the Thomann site the X-Touch compact & mini are out for sale with the larger X-Touch available this week so I guess we'll find out soon what the Behringer devices are capable of controlling. Personally I'm not overly optimistic about CC handling on these but hopefully I'll be wrong as I've been holding off any purchase decisions until I hear definitively about these. (Surely Steinberg/Yamaha would have filled this gap by now... as I've said before)

I just called Thomann to check and the site is correct. Though they haven't had the X-Touch yet and it says "due back" - but yes, there should be some X-Touch Compacts in the wild now and some X-Touch's soon.

One question though - at 498 and 725 EUR - they seems pricey. Is it my rose tints or are the prices 40% above the predicted 400USD street from the launch...? Does that account for the delay - "we priced this way too low, let's wait until everyone has forgotten and bump the price and claim we had to do extra to integrate with our new digimixers"... I am a cynic I know...

Top Bottom