What's new

Arturia V collection 9 out now

EXCITED! so glad they chose those to rebuild. I am excited to see how the fair to previous versions. the new korgM20 looks promising and the new augmented strings & voices sounds amazing! I'm not excited about that $199 upgrade price, $99 would have been greatly appreciated but i guess ill wait until black Friday or something. until then...it's demo time!

Reactions: Ger
Okay, here's some quick-n-dirty A/B comparisons for ya. The first one is between Arturia's new ProphetVS-V and my vintage Prophet-VS keyboard. I've converted a bunch of Patches and User Waves from the hardware into the plugin, using the SysEx import function on the plugin. Some of the individual voice panning controls seem to produce slightly different results between the two, and some of the envelopes have more / less "snap" on one vs the other. But it's very slight.

I used identical MIDI tracks to trigger them. Each phrase repeats twice, A-B-A-B. I level matched them by ear.

View attachment ProphetVS-V+Hardware.mp3

And here's the comparison between Arturia's Matrix-12v and my vintage Oberheim Xpander. These are big unison patches, so I disabled half of the voices / zones on the plugin so that it's a fair fight. Since there is no SysEx import on the plugin, I re-created the patches by eye and by ear. Some parameters do not line up 1:1 between the two, so it was a bit of a losing battle. But I got close enough for you to hear the character of the various filter types. The Oberheims were much harder to match because identical parameter values for things like kbd-tracking>cutoff and velocity>cutoff give different results between the two, so I had to get as close as I could by ear without losing my freaking mind. Also it was a bit of manual tweakery of the detune amounts for the zones on the software to try to get close to what the hardware does, and I could have continued down that rabbit hole but decided enough was enough. Plus, when you open up all 12 voices on the software it roars past the 6-voice hardware very quickly.

View attachment Matrix12v+Xpander.mp3

In all examples, A is always either hardware / software, and B is always the other one. See if you can guess!

Last edited:
Okay, here's some quick-n-dirty A/B comparisons for ya. The first one is between Arturia's new ProphetVS-V and my vintage Prophet-VS keyboard. I've converted a bunch of Patches and User Waves from the hardware into the plugin, using the SysEx import function on the plugin.

I used identical MIDI tracks to trigger them. Each phrase repeats twice, A-B-A-B. I level matched them by ear.

View attachment ProphetVS-V+Hardware.mp3

And here's the comparison between Arturia's Matrix-12v and my vintage Oberheim Xpander. These are big unison patches, so I disabled half of the voices / zones on the plugin so that it's a fair fight. Since there is no SysEx import on the plugin, I re-created the patches by eye and by ear. Some parameters do not line up 1:1 between the two, so it was a bit of a losing battle. But I got close enough for you to hear the character of the various filter types.

View attachment Matrix12v+Xpander.mp3

In all examples, A is always either hardware / software, and B is always the other one. See if you can guess!
Yeow. I can't really tell at all on the Oberheims. For the VS, I can tell that phrases 1 & 3 are different, but not on phrases 2 & 4. I don't know which is which, except that maybe the "real VS" is the more left-heavy one (B) in Phrase 1.

The only difference that I find obvious is the reverb tail in the third example from the first of Charlie's examples. Also there is generally some slight difference in bass response.
But honestly...I'd be happy with both so whatever the software is, I'd pick that for economic reasons.

What's the best way to get the collection if I am somewhat patient. Black Friday? I have $399 as my crossgrade price currently. I have been watching for a cheap Pigments too, get that and wait for a better crossgrade sale?

What's the best way to get the collection if I am somewhat patient. Black Friday? I have $399 as my crossgrade price currently. I have been watching for a cheap Pigments too, get that and wait for a better crossgrade sale?
yes that seems to be best black Friday or Holiday sale. 50% off I think according to Frogs ... pigments grabbed for 79 minus Best Service bucks

Straight up I can barely hear any difference even side by side, let alone in a full mix, and helps highlight just how good these software recreations are
Same. On my first listen they were 99% identical.

I'm sure if I listen to it a couple more times I will be able to discern more differences but this is super impressive.

Man that Matrix-12v sounds fantastic. Arturia is really getting serious!

Okay, it's time.... LET THE TRUTH BE REVEALED!

gandalf-old-man.gif

In my A/B comparisons, the sources were.....

A = Arturia
B = O.G. hardware.

The first and third occurrences of every riff are the software, for both the Prophet-VS and the Xpander tests. The second and fourth occurrences are always the hardware.

Top Bottom