What's new

Arturia V collection 9 out now

I personally am really loving the open-string resonance modeling. Play a chord REALLY quietly on your left hand, let it die out, hold it, then start playing with your right, and hear the chord reappear in the resonance on the lower strings. FUN. piano v3 sounds great.

I had no idea that the Korg MS 20 V would allow you to sidechain audio to it. I sent my microphone to it and not like a Vocoder, either. My synth was basically talking to me, with full inflection.

I was trying to do a review video for it, but I got completely sucked in to messing with this one feature. Check it out!

I honestly just don't feel like I can say enough good about this package as a whole. No, I am not in love with every part of it, but the things I really like, I REALLY like. Do I like their OB-Xa compared to Obsession? Not really. Does their Prophet V compare to Repro as far as mojo and girth? Nope. But, as much as Repro is stellar, it can really be a little bit too big, and often. I'm playing the Arturia Prophet-5 this morning and I am really really liking it. I was never into it before, but now it just seems to have that, to me, dust-on-the-circuits sort of vibe to it, like it's a bit old, and the corners are rounded off. It makes me want to write with it, and play it, just for fun. I definitely did not feel that way back on version 5 of the V-Collection.

I know that some people are put off by the upgrade prices, but man, I've just never been one to barter about pricing. It's either worth it or not, and having come from the days paying $1100 for my first "synth" with maybe 8Mb of Rom samples, no filter, and maybe 128 different samples to play with, this seems like I'm living in synth paradise. I do truly believe that it all falls short of hardware but it's getting so close that I can't imagine really caring at all. I also feel like the Augmented series is extremely cool and it seems like something that other companies would release for $100 - $200 bucks as a stand alone item.

I've never played a real MS-20, but this emulation is a monster of it's own regardless.

My biggest takeaway, is that maybe 5 years ago, I felt like at whatever cost the V-collection was, it was super cool to have an idea of what all of this stuff was, and to be able to interact with it in a similar way to the hardware, and be able to reproduce a flavor that leans toward the original thing. It was like eating at a buffet, where you might not think it's all that good, but there's lots of it. Well now I feel like there is some super serious quality surfacing in many of these instruments, in a very real way. It's now at a level of being awe inspiring AND feels very true, not like a cheap imitation.

I wish this company all the success they can handle. 5 years ago, V-Collection was something that was in my drop-downs in Cubase, but it NEVER saw use. I always reached for something else from Rob Papen or U-he or Specrtasonics. Now I seriously can't wait to use a LOT of this stuff in my next feature. It's also well-rounded enough now, that it can really just about make a perfect gigging package for a lot of keyboard players.

I dunno, I probably come off like a fanboy but I always like to really pile on the praise when I feel like someone is doing something right, and boy are they. I'll be stoked for V-10!

Did anyone notice the book Coltrane and the Jazz Revolution of 1960 on top of the Classical Upright? 😎

Arturia V collection 9 out now

(btw, I fired up Komplete Kontrol so faster knobs assignment controller and loaded the Piano but it sounded weird, like all magic was gone, ew. minutes later I found out I've loaded V2...)

I downloaded the demo of Piano V3 and I actually prefer the sound of the V2 version. Just saved myself $49.

I am awaiting for things like
SY99
D50 (the classic)
JD900 (but with a jd800 like interface)
K2000/2500/2600
and others to hit the v collection. not going to upgrade to 9

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Arturia's Virtual Synths. I stopped upgrading my Arturia V Collection at version 6. Never felt satisfied with the sound of their virtual synths. Nothing I heard tempts me to upgrade. I just don't like the way they sound.

For those who upgraded to ver 9, do you still feel it was worth it ? I haven't really heard anything that would change my mind about any of their virtual synths. No matter what version they release. Sorry. Yeah.. They have nice GUI's but the sound is meh.

Well, I get you. Had the same feeling at V4 so I didn’t upgrade until recently to V8.
V8 was quite fantastic already, particularly both Rolands. Plus the Buchla, Synthi, Emulator, OB-Xa, CZ, CMI and Synclavier: all new to me and pretty, pretty good.
But now Vangelis died and V9 brought the upgraded CS-80, simply perfect. Same goes for the new Prophet VS (and the P5). Finally, I just love Augmented Strings (and Voices) in their advanced guise, fully tweakable. Not into the MS-20 (as I have the Korg emu) nor the SQ-80 (as the Prophet VS does hybrid digital-analog with CEM filter so much better).
Yep, finally I’m in love again with the Arturia V Collection. Even got me a MiniFuse, the only portable interface with an extra USB port for my iLok. Well done!

Well, I get you. Had the same feeling at V4 so I didn’t upgrade until recently to V8.
V8 was quite fantastic already, particularly both Rolands. Plus the Buchla, Synthi, Emulator, OB-Xa, CZ, CMI and Synclavier: all new to me and pretty, pretty good.
But now Vangelis died and V9 brought the upgraded CS-80, simply perfect. Same goes for the new Prophet VS (and the P5). Finally, I just love Augmented Strings (and Voices) in their advanced guise, fully tweakable. Not into the MS-20 (as I have the Korg emu) nor the SQ-80 (as the Prophet VS does hybrid digital-analog with CEM filter so much better).
Yep, finally I’m in love again with the Arturia V Collection. Even got me a MiniFuse, the only portable interface with an extra USB port for my iLok. Well done!
So, I guess you would recommend that I upgrade to ver. 9, from verr. 6.

I wonder how much better it is than ver. 6 ?

Thanks.

You can demo them through their software center, 20 minutes per session, no saving
Thanks.

Have you upgraded to ver. 9 ? How do you like the collection so far ?

My upgrade from v6 to v9 is $299. so, I'm being super careful. Demoing them is a good way to make sure I don't have any regrets. Honestly, I don't have a need to add more synths, I think I already have a lot of options, both software, and hardware synths. I also have a hard time choosing which synths I should use for specific tasks, they are all very versatile and sound very good. I have favorites but in general they all can be put to make some great music.

Thanks.

Have you upgraded to ver. 9 ? How do you like the collection so far ?

My upgrade from v6 to v9 is $299. so, I'm being super careful. Demoing them is a good way to make sure I don't have any regrets. Honestly, I don't have a need to add more synths, I think I already have a lot of options, both software, and hardware synths. I also have a hard time choosing which synths I should use for specific tasks, they are all very versatile and sound very good. I have favorites but in general they all can be put to make some great music.
That upgrade price could come down to $199 by Black Friday. On the other hand, upgrading today from v7 to v9 is $299 too (but $199 from v8) so you’re getting the better deal compared to v7 owners.

Hi,

OK, Since I'm still using V-Collection 6. I decided to just upgrade the CS 80-V to the latest version which was $49. and the Prophet 5 V to the latest version for $49.

For a total of $98, I think I now have a nice upgraded Arturia V Collection, instead of investing $299 for the full Upgrade from V6 to V9. Especially since these were the two instruments I feel I would use when needed. Not the other new stuff they released.

I had purchased their SQ-80 V a while back. Which is a very cool sounding synth.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Good choice. The only one I didn’t get, apart from the MS-20, is the SQ80, as I figured the new Prophet VS would cover that hybrid digital-analog (CEM) sound.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I was a bit undecided if I should also get the Prophet VS, which would cost me another $49. for the upgrade. I decided to go with the Prophet V instead.

How do you like the Prophet VS ?

Very much, actually. I think I made the right choice going for the Prophet VS instead of the SQ80. Same CEM filter but 12-bit DAC instead of 8-bit. On the other hand, if you prefer a more gritty sound the SQ80 would suit better.

Very much, actually. I think I made the right choice going for the Prophet VS instead of the SQ80. Same CEM filter but 12-bit DAC instead of 8-bit. On the other hand, if you prefer a more gritty sound the SQ80 would suit better.
I'm a big fan of the sound of the real (HW) Prophet VS Synth. I listened to some of the audio clips of the Arturia version, but wasn't blown away, I think it sound good, but the real thing sounds amazing ! I wonder if it is just a matter of programming, and musicianship.

Top Bottom