What's new

X-touch compact

Sorry, not an answer to you question but it has made think of a question... Is the editor software still not available on OSX? I know it used to only be available with PC but surely they've added this to Mac now?

FFS. I've wanted to buy one for a while and I haven't moved back to PC yet so I guess I'll have to keep waiting.

surprising there's nothing on the internet with anyone trying the editor on mac with virtual windows

I’m a die-hard Mac guy who happens to have 1 PC machine among my 4 Macs (for my VEP template), so I used that to program the XTC. I would be lost without that thing. It feels superb and makes a killer controller. I just wish it had on board preset capability so you could quickly switch to different profiles. But man, there’s nothing else like it.

I’m a die-hard Mac guy who happens to have 1 PC machine among my 4 Macs (for my VEP template), so I used that to program the XTC. I would be lost without that thing. It feels superb and makes a killer controller. I just wish it had on board preset capability so you could quickly switch to different profiles. But man, there’s nothing else like it.

Yeah I’m gonna buy one. I’ve left my JLCooper Fadermaster pro back in England and I need something that isn’t dead technology. Being able to connect via USB also means getting rid of the need for my Motu express midi interface as well (for the time being). I’m just a bit surprised that after all this time they haven’t added an editor for OSX.

Last edited:
another question on the compact; there's a lot of discussion about midi cc and motorised faders, but in ordinary midi mode on the compact, do the faders move with automation if you use midi learn for various functions in logic or whatever?

another question on the compact; there's a lot of discussion about midi cc and motorised faders, but in ordinary midi mode on the compact, do the faders move with automation if you use midi learn for various functions in logic or whatever?

No, in MIDI controller mode, they're 'dumb' faders. The motors only kick in when it's in Mackie mode. That's why it's effectively two machines in one: a MIDI control surface and a mixer panel.

Thanks very much for the info. Preumably this the case for all surfaces with motorized faders

Thanks very much for the info. Presumably this the case for all surfaces with motorized faders

No. Some of them don't have the MIDI controller mode. The only ones I know of are the X-Touch Compact (the other two X Touch models don't have MIDI mode!), and the older Behringer BCF200. There used to be more, I believe, but they're all older models from other manufacturers that don't work with newer versions of MAC OS.

I'm sure if there are others someone will chime in (and I'd be curious to know! I did a lot of searching before I got the X-Touch).

Thanks again. How are you finding it? It looks to me it has a lot of scope for both mixing in Mackie mode, and using it for individual setups for softsynths etc in midi mode

I love it. It's y first motorized mixer, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it's as responsive as I need it to be, and the long throws and touch sensitivity are great.

The BIG drawback, as others have pointed out, is the lack of a Mac editor. So, most of the time instead of MIDI mode I just end up controlling CCs with either my Touchpad + Audioswift, or an Arduino breath controller I DIYed. I also bought a Genki Wave ring recently, but I'm still getting used to that.

Yes, I'm a gear addict :)

great, I think I'll get it. I expect the midi editor won't work with the various mac pc emulations because there's usually problems with hardware/usb with those programs, but I think I'll just 'borrow' a windows laptop from work if I find I really need the cc programming

for anyone interested, I've tested and the editor works in bootcamp on a mac. While I'm here, in mackie mode on the XTC it seems eq is very limited in terms of editing - do I need to adjust parameters in Logic control surface parameters to get the VPots to select all the bands etc?

How does it work when you edit the CCs on a PC and the use it on a Mac? Do the assignments get written into the hardware, or is there a preference file to be transferred to the Mac?

Also, there is an A / B switch. Is it possible to run Mackie Control mode on A, and Midi mode on B for example?

How does it work when you edit the CCs on a PC and the use it on a Mac? Do the assignments get written into the hardware, or is there a preference file to be transferred to the Mac?

Also, there is an A / B switch. Is it possible to run Mackie Control mode on A, and Midi mode on B for example?

1. Yes, you edit on a PC but all assignments get written to the unit itself. And of course you can store your edited profiles as backup files on the PC as well.

2. The A/B switch toggles between 2 different layers, each of which can have its own assignments for each control. So essentially every knob, button, and fader can have 2 different functions - it’s like having two whole units simply by hitting the A/B switch.

you can also switch between custom controller mode and Mackie by holding a key combo when powering up.

Reactions: Dom
2. The A/B switch toggles between 2 different layers, each of which can have its own assignments for each control. So essentially every knob, button, and fader can have 2 different functions - it’s like having two whole units simply by hitting the A/B switch.
I'm not sure this answers Dom's question. Someone please correct me if the following is wrong. The only way to switch into or out of Mackie mode is by turning off the unit and turning it back on again with the "MC" button held down. That can't be programmed into the A/B switches. You might (emphasis on "might") be able to simulate Mackie mode in either the A bank or B bank of controls, by documenting what message(s) each control sends in Mackie mode and then programming them to one bank or the other. I'm not sure about that because I don't know what set of MIDI messages make up the Mackie protocol.

Reactions: Dom
Top Bottom