What's new

WTF? Native Access wants ridiculous amounts of free space on my startup drive

Nick Batzdorf

This is a new one on me. I have 28GB free on my startup drive (Mojave), which is how it's been for years, and I've installed huge libraries as recently as a few days ago.

I'm trying to install a library that's about 14GB.

It wants me to free up an additional 35GB or something on my startup drive and won't allow it to install the library on the drive I want to put it on (which has oodles of room).

Is this new? What's the solution?

No, I'm not going to free up 35GB on my startup drive.

Last edited:
unpacking the download needs double the space sometimes and also your system wants some free space to work fine. seems normal to me. also every of your drive should have 15% free space after all is installed.

As I said, I've installed 50 billion much larger sample libraries. It shouldn't need to download them to your system drive.

This is a new one on me. I have 28GB free on my startup drive (Mojave), which is how it's been for years, and I've installed huge libraries as recently as a few days ago.

It wants me to free up an additional 35GB or something on my startup drive and won't allow it to install the library on the drive I want to put it on (which has oodles of room).

No, I"m not going to free up 35GB on my startup drive.
People have been complaining about this sporadically for about the last 6 months, so I guess maybe Native Access has changed something about how it works. But it seems that you have to have the free space on the boot drive because even though Native Access allows you to designate another download drive, it still wants to use the bootdrive as the temporary download drive. There are ways around it, and the most common, I think, is to create a new bootdrive with plenty of free space on an external drive just for the purposes of downloading.

Yikes. Guess I won't be getting any Kontakt Player libraries > 20 gb or so anytime soon. Good to know.

Why can't they have it break the download into manageable pieces?

I wonder if this is related to the way Apple has locked down Catalina and above requiring all sorts of new permissions to access external disks. It does seem to be mostly Mac people who are having the issue. And it could easily be affecting everyone, if Native Access has been rewritten for all systems.

I wonder if this is related to the way Apple has locked down Catalina and above requiring all sorts of new permissions to access external disks. It does seem to be mostly Mac people who are having the issue. And it could easily be affecting everyone, if Native Access has been rewritten for all systems.
This is actually a REALLY good point. Lots of software on the newest versions of MacOS have been running into intense issues with managing disk space, managing permissions, deletion of caches, etc. etc. I know several people having massive issues with Dropbox's Smart Sync feature recently, ballooning caches and an inability to properly delete things when they transition to Smart Sync.

Wouldn't be surprised of Native Access is being subjected to similar issues.

You can download huge files from anywhere on the Internet to any drive you want from a browser (or, for example, AudioBro's own downloading app). It makes no sense that this would be an Apple murder, although who knows.

After you have the files, NI should be able to install the NKIs from wherever it wants without requiring enough space for the samples + more.

Yikes. Guess I won't be getting any Kontakt Player libraries > 20 gb or so anytime soon. Good to know.

Why can't they have it break the download into manageable pieces?
I have more than 20GB just PCG Content for Kontakt
without any Samples LOL. 20GB? Lol
I would actually stay away from a 20GB Library
unless it was for only one Sound.

I have more than 20GB just PCG Content for Kontakt
without any Samples LOL. 20GB? Lol
I would actually stay away from a 20GB Library
unless it was for only one Sound.
You're missing out on one of my favorite new libraries without knowing the first thing about it.

The only reason I'm not mentioning it by name is that the developer would kick me hard in the ass.

EDIT: I hope everyone appreciates the incredible restraint I used not going straight to the obvious size dickjoke.

@Nick Batzdorf
i had this problem recently,i was trying to install Sunset Strings via Native Access. I had 32 gig of free space available but NA would aways give me error messages either for an incorrect install path or not enough room on the drive for a 13gig download.
Finally I replaced my boot drive,I went from 500 gig to 1tb and NA instantly installed the library.
So yeah I think NA wants more room on the drives for installs than it used to demand.

It’s not just Catalina. It’s happened to me here on high Sierra. 11 gig library wanted over 30 gigs. 😑
No, it doesn’t seem to be system based. But that doesn’t mean they didn’t rewrite Native Access for all systems to address issues that were appearing in the more recent systems. This problem seems to have started cropping up recently, so I speculate that NI rewrote the code. And I know when I changed to Catalina I spent much of the first few days granting programs privileges to read and write to external disks among other things.

@Nick Batzdorf
i had this problem recently,i was trying to install Sunset Strings via Native Access.i had 32 gig of free space available but NA would aways give me error messages either for an incorrect install path or not enough room on the drive for a 13gig download.
Finally I replaced my boot drive,I went from 500 gig to 1tb and NA instantly installed the library.
So yeah I think NA wants more room on the drives for installs than it used to demand.

For me the problem is that I'd have to replace all my back-up drives too if I did that.

Really stupid!

I updated to CCC5 cloned the boot (incredibly easy) and setup a 6tb CCC daily backup of the boot drive(which is also bootable).
I was also having issues with Time Machine so I just transitioned the TM drive to Carbon Copy Cloner, done.

Last edited:

No, I'm not going to free up 35GB on my startup drive.
I point the Native Access download folder path to an external drive and never install content packages on the boot drive, just applications and plugins. Additionally you could try to run a scan for temp files on your boot drive which can be deleted.

Top Bottom