What's new

Windows 11 Audio Fix? Driving me insane!

I had some issue like that on the past and the thing that helps is to use a PCI USB card and plug the audio interface on that (the interface alone).
Sometimes i don't know why but it's the usb controller of the motherboard who are responsible for troubles.

Something like this :
1700226858832.png

or this :
1700226832236.png

Try do some research on your brand audio interface's forum to see if there some brandname recommandations.
For example UAD recommand sometime startech.

It's a cheap way to solve problems sometimes. :2thumbs:

I had some issue like that on the past and the thing that helps is to use a PCI USB card and plug the audio interface on that (the interface alone).
Sometimes i don't know why but it's the usb controller of the motherboard who are responsible for troubles.

Try do some research on your brand audio interface's forum to see if there some brandname recommandations.
For example UAD recommand sometime startech.

It's a cheap way to solve problems sometimes. :2thumbs:
If I run into problems again down the line I'll look into it. Cheap, and I have a free PCI Slot. Thanks!

also wanted to say a big thanks to all who have helped here. i have been having issues with my relatively new machine since i bought it (mid 2023) with s1 and my scarlett solo 3rd gen. constant popping at even 256 samples. now i have tried some of the steps stated above and my latencymon stays almost in "green". i think deactivating hyperthreading and coreparking may have done the trick. latencymon stills says that my (cleaned up) nvidia driver has an execution time of 0.9 ms. cant fix that. what still worries me is the wdf01000.sys with a high ISR count. cant fix it cause i dont know which driver is finally causing this high counts. could be anything. and i am tired. what i constantly asked my self (and havent tried yet) is, is it just the focusrite driver in conjunction with s1? i downloaded cubase 13 pro demo and even i got some pops on 16 samples there it was way more bearable. should i change my interface maybe? internet suggests that the focusrite interface drivers are not very good. oh and btw - asio4all did not work at all.

cheers!

Someone mentioned it earlier, but make sure the interface is direct to a USB port from your motherboard. I was having a lot of latency issues and pops until I removed my USB hubs from the equation. No more latency issues. The popping was due to me using a nice looking braided USB-C cable that wasn't actually as good as it appeared. All is good now.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but make sure the interface is direct to a USB port from your motherboard. I was having a lot of latency issues and pops until I removed my USB hubs from the equation. No more latency issues. The popping was due to me using a nice looking braided USB-C cable that wasn't actually as good as it appeared. All is good now.
my interface was connected on a dedicated usb port from the start. this issue was driving me insane...cause i upgraded to a new pc from a relativerly weak machine with only 16 gig ram etc. on my old rig i had no (!!!) problem at all...at least not daw related. yesterday evening i was checking my bank account and was soooooo close to order a brand new m3 pro and change sides.... but still the question remains about the focusrite stuff. change the interface and buy a new one for around 150 bucks or not. i dont do any audio recording so a small one would suffice...

Core parking, MSI/IRQ settings for Nvidia, power settings, disabling power down on idle of PCI/USB devices as needed, connecting Focusrite to a FrescoLogic-based USB PCIe card, quality cables, and probably a few more I've forgotten. I've never had to mess with threading or CPU BIOS stuff for latency.

The Focusrite drivers are now rock solid on my Clarett4pre USB and have been for at least 2+ years (just installed the most recent last week). It was a crash-fest before then to the point I was thinking of replacing it. The latency numbers aren't awesome, but they're "average".

I've definitely had a much better experience overall with a Clarett USB than a Focusrite gen2 and gen1, but that could at least have been in part to improving drivers. Can't say for sure.

Macs can have issues, too. It's all computers and tech = bugs and issues.

Disabling Core Parking seems to have almost entirely fixed the issue at this point. Night and day difference in LatencyMon, and in turn, my DAW.
Watching with interest. And hali-looya to the discovery of Core Parking...

Now - I gently step on the soapbox...

I wanted to add that I went thru ALL of this over the last few days - after doing the same thing as you over the holidays - brand new DAW from the ground up - ASUS Prime z790-A, Intel i5-13600K, Studio One 6.5.x etc etc.

I hemmed and hawed over Windows 10 vs Windows 11 and after about a week of analysis - decided Win 11 was the way forward. The actual build and subsequent addition of the software was simple enough but I have to say - in my 22 years of DAW building - I have never seen a deeper dive into getting a machine working properly than this one.

One minute early on - when I used the XMP II RAM profile during initial testing - the machine would not stay up for 5 minutes without a blue screen. Then I wasted two days doing a MEMTest run to make sure the RAM was actually good - then more analysis to find that XMP I was the ticket and the machine is stable. And so it went...

Then yesterday - I decided to take a "quick" look at how this new machine is performing in LatencyMon - all because when I was loading my main software like Omnisphere etc - I did hear a random click/glitch or two - where I have not heard one in years.

All happening on my new RME UCX-II which is the world standard for best drivers ever. Hearing a click or a pop with this thing - almost always requires an investigation.

So I run LatencyMon and get probably the worst report this thing could produce. And down the ole rabbit hole I went. I have learned more about hidden power settings and core parking than one man should know in his lifetime - ALL of it just to get the machine running correctly. I solved the issue - but wow - whatta PITA.

Which brings me to this - while I keep reading massive amounts of posts and chatter from the masses saying "You should really installl Windows 11 you know - on new hardware" - I say - what is the point of all of this?

What is point of buying a killer motherboard, a racehorse CPU and then having the OS park all the bloody cores so pops and clicks are a regular part of a recorded song? Who thought any of this was a good idea?

Then - to arrive back to what I had previously - a perfectly running DAW on slightly older hardware (z490 w/i5-10600K) but using WIndows 10 - I have to spend hours finding all these obscure settings and reversing all of them to stop the clicking madness.

Half of me wants to strip this thing to the steel and start over with Windows 10 again...and now gently stepping off the soapbox :)

Sonic.

Last edited:

I wanted to add that I went thru ALL of this over the last few days - after doing the same thing as you over the holidays - brand new DAW from the ground up - ASUS Prime z790-A, Intel i5-13600K, Studio One 6.5.x etc etc.

I hemmed and hawed over Windows 10 vs Windows 11 and after about a week of analysis - decided Win 11 was the way forward. The actual build and subsequent addition of the software was simple enough but I have to say - in my 22 years of DAW building - I have never seen a deeper dive into getting a machine working properly than this one.

One minute early on - when I used the XMP II RAM profile during initial testing - the machine would not stay up for 5 minutes without a blue screen. Then I wasted two days doing a MEMTest run to make sure the RAM was actually good - then more analysis to find that XMP I was the ticket and the machine is stable. And so it went...

Then yesterday - I decided to take a "quick" look at how this new machine is performing in LatencyMon - all because when I was loading my main software like Omnisphere etc - I did hear a random click/glitch or two - where I have not heard one in years.

All happening on my new RME UCX-II which is the world standard for best drivers ever. Hearing a click or a pop with this thing - almost always requires an investigation.

So I run LatencyMon and get probably the worst report this thing could produce. And down the ole rabbit hole I went. I have learned more about hidden power settings and core parking than one man should know in his lifetime - ALL of it just to get the machine running correctly. I solved the issue - but wow - whatta PITA.

Which brings me to this - while I keep reading massive amounts of posts and chatter from the masses saying "You should really installl Windows 11 you know - on new hardware" - I say - what is the point of all of this?

What is point of buying a killer motherboard, a racehorse CPU and then having the OS park all the bloody cores so pops and clicks are a regular part of a recorded song? Who thought any of this was a good idea?

Then - to arrive back to what I had previously - a perfectly running DAW on slightly older hardware (z490 w/i5-10600K) but using WIndows 10 - I have to spend hours finding all these obscure settings and reversing all of them to stop the clicking madness.

Half of me wants to strip this thing to the steel and start over with Windows 10 again...and now gently stepping off the soapbox :)

Sonic.
z790...same here and all over the net. maybe there is connection. tested my setup on my wifes oder machine...guess what? nothing. no clicks or whatsoever...and her pc is the typical users mess. nothing maintained nothing tidied up.

z790...same here and all over the net. maybe there is connection. tested my setup on my wifes oder machine...guess what? nothing. no clicks or whatsoever...and her pc is the typical users mess. nothing maintained nothing tidied up.
What really frosted me was - after I got this brutal LatencyMon report on the new DAW - I ran it on my "work" workstation for kicks - which is just a run of the mill ASUS based PC I built a few years back with Win 10 Pro and NO audio in mind whatsoever - and the report was practically pristine.

Felt like taking a pencil in the eye....

Sonic.

What really frosted me was - after I got this brutal LatencyMon report on the new DAW - I ran it on my "work" workstation for kicks - which is just a run of the mill ASUS based PC I built a few years back with Win 10 Pro and NO audio in mind whatsoever - and the report was practically pristine.

Felt like taking a pencil in the eye....

Sonic.
today i told a friend of mine to run latencymon on his machine just built for gaming purposes. all bright green. he then did a clean new install of his nvidia drivers (DDU and nvlean) and guess what? suddenly his results were pushed over the red line. now tell me....who to believe? :D its so funny. computers are by no fucking way machines. they live.....oh yes they live....

today i told a friend of mine to run latencymon on his machine just built for gaming purposes. all bright green. he then did a clean new install of his nvidia drivers (DDU and nvlean) and guess what? suddenly his results were pushed over the red line. now tell me....who to believe? :D its so funny. computers are by no fucking way machines. they live.....oh yes they live....
Nvidia is a whole ‘nother risk level. They don’t care about latency. AMD typically has no issue. But nvidia issues are typically easy to solve (but not always).

Well - if it wasn't for the not-so subtle pops n clicks that appeared out of nowhere when I started loading software for the first time since say - 2005 - on a custom DAW of mine - WITH a rock solid RME card - I never would have given LatencyMon a single thought.

Despite the nasty "red" lines all over my initial LM report - after making a few key power tweaks and parking all the cores - I went brutal to perfect in minutes.

It was good learning - but again - "grand scheme of things"-wise - completely pointless with Microsoft and Intel thinking that it's awesome to instantly kneecap ALL hot new CPUs out of the gate in the name of power savings - as a bloody default.

The last thing anyone needs in a DAW - is power saving.

This whole process of power/core optimization should be a huge sticky at the top of all these boards to assist anyone who gets roped into this scenario and then struggles to understand what is going on.

Sonic.

Sonic.
It's insane, I know. Still having little issues here and there. Granted, these tiny blips would almost be imperceivable to the average person, but I can tell. The investment and obsessive research that led me to buying my "ultimate" studio PC is now laughing at me. I too almost never had these problems on my old vastly underpowered computer (comparatively), unless I overwhelmed the CPU/RAM. It's driven me to almost wanting to give up music after over 20 years, or at least go back to a 4 track cassette recorder. I am a fairly techy person too, but this Windows 11 latency issue is THE DEVIL.

Try Process Lasso CPU Affinity and set/limit everything that is not DAW
to the E-cores, the P-cores will be free to run the DAW stuff.

This is what I do aswell. Its a great program.

This way I get to prioritise every 3rd party process. You can ban processes that keep installing themselves, like the incessant NI hardware daemon. There's a core parking setting. Restrict all security, auth daemons, browsers, usb device panels, windows defender, indexing to only use e-cores. Give processes priority as well as affinity. Then save it as a profile for different applications.

There's no way this sorting can be done automatically. Everyone's needs from a PC are different.

Every time I think about moving back to a PC for my DAW I come across threads like this. I was fighting clicks and pops with USB devices in 1998 - 25 years ago! It’s beyond crazy that we are still here today.

Every time I think about moving back to a PC for my DAW I come across threads like this. I was fighting clicks and pops with USB devices in 1998 - 25 years ago! It’s beyond crazy that we are still here today.
I would challenge this statement a bit and say I haven't seen a pop or a click until I installed Windows 11 and its ridiclulous "core parking" schemes and other crap.

On my last DAW build in 2021 (Win 10 21H2) - it was install, check and record!

Now it's install, check, "wait - what's that? A click and pop and a glitch? WTF?", then waste two days chasing down reasons for said obscure crap, then tweak, recheck, find more tools, do another 3 days of trial and error and then maybe - just maybe - things start to settle down.

But you are bang on - regardless of era (or usefulness) USB still manages to find a way to ruin even the best builds.

Sonic.

I would challenge this statement a bit and say I haven't seen a pop or a click until I installed Windows 11 and its ridiclulous "core parking" schemes and other crap.

On my last DAW build in 2021 (Win 10 21H2) - it was install, check and record!

Now it's install, check, "wait - what's that? A click and pop and a glitch? WTF?", then waste two days chasing down reasons for said obscure crap, then tweak, recheck, find more tools, do another 3 days of trial and error and then maybe - just maybe - things start to settle down.

But you are bang on - regardless of era (or usefulness) USB still manages to find a way to ruin even the best builds.

Sonic.
its not a pure win 11 issue. as stated somewhere above i tried s1 5.5 and my interface on my wifes pc with win 11. 16 samples as buffer size and i jumped on my keyboard to have like 600 voices playing in kontakt. not a single pop. back to my machine (new faster better hotter) a had 96 samples and was striking a single chord....BOOOOMBADABANG.

The main problem is that Windows is tweaked to economize power
and this behavior is not good for realtime audio.
Even the Ultimate Power Mode does not provide, it still not
proper set/tweaked.
The bloatware in Windows 11 is well behaved, problem is that it
is not 100% well behaved 100% of the time...

I updated the tweaks like I did in other forums...

Top Bottom