What's new

Why buy a fancy desk...

This level of multitaskery is what the higher ups don't tell you. How do you think Zimmer got where he is? His synths probably double as microwaves. The time saved making popcorn is essential.

It's probably hard to get something cheaper but for around $120-150 you can get something like this, which is very similar to what I have.

It does require a bit of DIY skills, if you want the drawer included though. So, I skipped that :grin:

I thought about finding a door, true, but these were already lying around so I thought I'd see what I could do with them, and I've found at least 8 different ways to set it up. Mostly the reason I'm DIY inclined is because I recently moved to house sit for family while they travel and I'm still looking for work around town so I'd use a box as a desk at this point. Plus I enjoy fiddling with things...

I have a cheap, repurposed corner office desk that I bought many years ago at Office Depot that now serves as my studio desk. I have turned it against a wall so that I have a pair of 45º wings essentially. It originally had a monitor riser in the middle with a big hole in front of it for a PC to be stored and accessed underneath, but that was too high and far away for the 27" iMac that I use in my studio, so I did my first serious woodworking project and made a lower riser/plug (which I'm rather proud of ... it is even finished to mesh with the other wood on the desk quite well) which sits in that hole in the center of the desk and provides a more suitable place for the computer/screen.

It's certainly not ideal, but until I find an actual studio desk that would give me everything I need and be practical to bring in, it works well enough.

Last edited:
It's probably hard to get something cheaper but for around $120-150 you can get something like this, which is very similar to what I have.

It does require a bit of DIY skills, if you want the drawer included though. So, I skipped that :grin:
What's that keyboard you have (the typer)? It looks pretty sleek.

The problem is finding room for my backup drives:

article-2219188-158CE597000005DC-42_964x507.jpg

Perhaps I should start doing some YouTube Tutorials and track writing sessions from it?! Haha!
haha can't wait for it!! You should really do a tutorial or so "How to build your own home studio" etc, and agree with synthpunk that diffusor looks top notch! Also need new studio monitors, any links u can provide would help me and the rest of the bunch a lot!

haha can't wait for it!! You should really do a tutorial or so "How to build your own home studio" etc, and agree with synthpunk that diffusor looks top notch!

Only the best will do. I've also just got my very first iPhone so I've essentially got access to Pinewood Studios from my pocket. Maybe I should just ditch Cubase and record everything with Garageband as well. Exciting times ;)

...when you can buy $40 shelves from Target and make the antithesis to a fancy desk?

mm.jpg

You all must feel ridiculous now.

Well, at some point in your life, you'll want the finer things. And if you interface with clients, you'll come to appreciate the intangible effect that projecting success by your surroundings brings to the table. And it signals that you care about your surroundings and maybe put the same effort into your work. If all that is still moot for you, then there is the creature comfort of having your personal sensibility of having that desk with the rare exotic wood and layout exactly as it makes sense to you.
Aside from your mattress, your desk just might be the thing you spend the most time in front of.

Top Bottom