What's new

Who's Got the Best Distortion?

Softube's Saturation Knob is an amazing free light distortion plugin. I use it a lot on SOS low strings to beef it up.

Destructor is among the best, without a doubt in my mind. It’s my first choice for distortion, followed by The Scream, Fury, Heavy Pedal.

And my analog gear.
What about PSP BinAmp @$29. promo now ?? ' the most analog sounding plugin ...... ' 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
What about PSP BinAmp @$29. promo now ?? ' the most analog sounding plugin ...... ' 🤷🏻‍♂️

There’s saturation and then there’s distortion.

I purchased an Electron Analog Heat +FX for primary use with some external gear (clearly a splurge buy, given the cost). It has a cool plugin "Overbridge" that lets you stream audio into and out of the device, without changing your primary audio interface in the DAW. Overbridge's latency is such that using it to track isn't very practical. But while mixing, the latency is no big deal. It has analog saturation, basic analog EQ and analog filtering. Along with some digital effects that when using a DAW, one can easily get ITB. It's interesting to have analog saturation external to the DAW. To my ear, it does sound a bit more open with extra clarity and depth (using the cleaner saturation settings). That said, it may just be my brain trying to justify the purchase... Regardless, an interesting approach with distortion, given all my other saturation alternatives are ITB plugins.

I purchased an Electron Analog Heat +FX for primary use with some external gear (clearly a splurge buy, given the cost). It has a cool plugin "Overbridge" that lets you stream audio into and out of the device, without changing your primary audio interface in the DAW. Overbridge's latency is such that using it to track isn't very practical. But while mixing, the latency is no big deal. It has analog saturation, basic analog EQ and analog filtering. Along with some digital effects that when using a DAW, one can easily get ITB. It's interesting to have analog saturation external to the DAW. To my ear, it does sound a bit more open with extra clarity and depth (using the cleaner saturation settings). That said, it may just be my brain trying to justify the purchase... Regardless, an interesting approach with distortion, given all my other saturation alternatives are ITB plugins.
OTB saturation can be very nice. I have an Elysia Karacter Qube and Erica Synths Acidbox 3 (as well as Walrus Julianna that can distort, Meris Polymoon, and Meris Mercury X that can distort).

Hardware OTB is a much more expensive and fraught proposition than plugins, though! Still offers something different sounding.

Beware. OTB dirt can become an obsession…

IMG_4175.jpeg
See this man’s pedalboard? He used to be an active participant of the VSL fanboy thread. Now, the last time he typed “VSL” was in the classifieds section of this board.

Don’t let hardware take over your world. Don’t become another Zanshin. To think all of these pedals will be hard to pick out in a blind test. This man could’ve just stuck to using Softube Saturarion Knob, but noooo…..

Top Bottom