What's new

Who uses Protools nowadays and do I need to to get it!

I still use it, albeit for mixing and mastering only, not for MIDI work which is 95% of what I do. Honestly there's nothing that I can't do in any other DAW, but have a few mix/master Pro Tools templates that I'm too lazy to re-build from scratch in another workstation.

The free Pro Tools Intro is limited to eight stereo audio tracks (plus eight MIDI and eight stereo Instrument tracks), but it's the real deal.

Reactions: wfm
I can't imagine ever "needing" it. Unless you are mixing soundtracks, not composing them. I think I would probably quit the industry forever if I ever really "needed" to use it.

I don't like Pro Tools. I really don't. I do everything in Cubase, from sketching to mastering when needed. But there are these times when the deliverables are not WAV files but a Pro Tools session. I think that depending on what your goals are, a working knowledge of Pro Tools is a necessity. No need for an absolute mastery if this is not your main DAW but the basics of audio editing using PT is useful.

I was just wondering who uses protools and should I renew my perpetual license? I never really need it lately but do get projects and have some old projects on it. Just curious!
I use it, for recording, audio and midi, mixing and mastering. Been working with it for the last 25 years or so.
Mostly tv and film but lately a lot of music and corporate sound design.

Have most of the other DAW’s, but there’s always something that Pro Tools does differently that suits my workflow so I’m sticking with it. :)

Nowadays most of my mixes are delivered in Atmos and the integration with hardware is superb.
Recording without latency is a goodsend when overdubbing and working with paying clients.

Saying this I think most other major DAW are just as good, it’s a matter of workflow and the amount of hours spent in the program.
Last year I sound designed and mixed a tv-series in Da Vinci Resolve/Fairlight. The Swedish broadcast corporation wanted to see if it was possible within their organisation to edit, mix and grade from within the same session and on their servers. Worked just fine.
Would it been “better” if I’d used Pro Tools? No, but probably different.
For example, the room I was assigned to didn’t have the possibility to connect a microphone to Fairlight. So I had to record the foley onto an external recorder and then transfer and sync the audio.

As others have said, you can rent it for a month or so and probably reinstate if you need it more frequently. Look for the Black Friday/end of the year deals.

Best of luck!
/Anders

I use it, for recording, audio and midi, mixing and mastering. Been working with it for the last 25 years or so.
Mostly tv and film but lately a lot of music and corporate sound design.

Have most of the other DAW’s, but there’s always something that Pro Tools does differently that suits my workflow so I’m sticking with it. :)

Nowadays most of my mixes are delivered in Atmos and the integration with hardware is superb.
Recording without latency is a goodsend when overdubbing and working with paying clients.

Saying this I think most other major DAW are just as good, it’s a matter of workflow and the amount of hours spent in the program.
Last year I sound designed and mixed a tv-series in Da Vinci Resolve/Fairlight. The Swedish broadcast corporation wanted to see if it was possible within their organisation to edit, mix and grade from within the same session and on their servers. Worked just fine.
Would it been “better” if I’d used Pro Tools? No, but probably different.
For example, the room I was assigned to didn’t have the possibility to connect a microphone to Fairlight. So I had to record the foley onto an external recorder and then transfer and sync the audio.

As others have said, you can rent it for a month or so and probably reinstate if you need it more frequently. Look for the Black Friday/end of the year deals.

Best of luck!
/Anders
A question I would have is growing up it was one of those programs I'd hear in the music production world as being an "industry standard". I know loads of producers used it to record and mix audio mostly. In terms of composing is it a flexible workflow (especially if you're using samples etc)?

A question I would have is growing up it was one of those programs I'd hear in the music production world as being an "industry standard". I know loads of producers used it to record and mix audio mostly. In terms of composing is it a flexible workflow (especially if you're using samples etc)?
Midi dates form the time of Alexander the Great

best

e

I’ve used Pro Tools since it was Sound Tools, and I’ve used Pro Tools almost exclusively for the last 20 years. I prefer it over every other DAW for audio recording and editing; and while it’s never been cutting edge for MIDI, it has more than just the basics covered. It works fine for my needs with all types of virtual instruments, both sample-based and synth.

Another important factor for me is that almost everyone I work with is Pro Tools based, and it’s helpful to be compatible with each other. I have one foot in film and television and the other in the record industry, so my circumstances may be different than they are for others here. I really don’t think it matters what DAW you use, as long as it works for you.

Best,

Geoff

If you're working in a recording studio or post production facility, or a client specifically requests or provides a Pro-Tools session, then you need Pro-Tools. Other than that and personal preference there is no reason you have to have it.

You might also want to check out Ardour. It's an Open Source DAW that was originally created as an alternative to Pro-Tools and shares some similarities. Like Pro-Tools it's not that great for MIDI (although it's getting better all the time) but is great for tracking and sequencing audio. It can also open "some" Pro-Tools sessions.

While Pro Tools may be not the 'be all end all' solution for everybody, my opinion is that it is the best editing system there is. They way you can edit audio, you also can edit midi, and the multitool/editing shortcuts (tab to transient, tab to midi note (yes, you can arrange midi to audio transients) work logically across the whole app. This is the strength of the application. Not that it's the industry standard, which it is, and for a good reason - there still is no another DAW that has import/export session/tracks capability as good as PT does. And the control surfaces with Eucon is just a dream. Automation is stellar, also the best ever imho. My 5 cents. I was using Logic (a mess, but matched my messy brain in my 20-ties), Cubase (slow, a click fest) and when i started to use PT for film work - even reading the manual i could see that it was brilliantly designed to get out of the way. It literally helped me to learn the craft, manual is a teaching tool. The Gui is also the best in the biz, imho.

It's a pity that people who never gave it a honest try bash it all over, but i guess it all comes down to the corporate greed of AVID. Last year they got better though, so we appreciate it :)

I do some post-sound mixing here and there and I love it for that. I honestly find that its audio editing tools are still far an above any other DAW out there - the speed at which I can edit audio and waveforms and do complex automation tasks is unlike anything else, it's just a stellar experience for editing, like the Rolls Royce of audio editing basically.

But for composing and mixing and production? Nah, not really. I've used other DAWs and find them more enjoyable for that. I am Cubase now for music creation and pretty happy with it.

Top Bottom