What's new

Which synths have a programming api?

DennyB

For example, is there an api for Reaktor where I can create a synth network (create nodes, connect outputs to inputs, etc) from a (probably) C++ api?

i know there is stuff like csound, but I’m looking for something whose audio engine is competitively performant and high quality.

thanks!

I don't know of any.
There is Surge as OS (and some others), you can't get much better than it anyway.
And you could - using JUCE - program a generic plugin host and control the parameters and MIDI of (almost every) synth from there. That's what I would do, but I don't know what you want to do exactly, as each of the nodes would be a plugin, not a part of a synth like in a modular.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for (e.g. it's not as complex as Reaktor), but since it is modular: MSoundFactory.

For example, is there an api for Reaktor where I can create a synth network (create nodes, connect outputs to inputs, etc) from a (probably) C++ api?
By using the VST SDK in C++ you should be able to instantiate and manipulate any VST device with the exposed automation parameters, no?

If you're on macOS you could use Swift with AU instead.

Top Bottom