What's new

Where to find official or fan film scores?

Sorry if this is a beginner question but I genuinely have googled it and i'm just ending up looking at piano versions.

I'm trying to recreate the creepy one ring theme from the prologue of lord of the rings. I've got the chords and notes from piano but I'm not at the stage I can identify instruments so I'm hoping to find a film score.

I'd happily buy a 2nd hand copy on ebay if i knew it was genuine

Sorry my dear friend.. Howard sells it direct.

My favorite is Jerry’s score to poltergeist! He had a copy made for me of my favorite cue when the aspiration or ghost comes out! He had it hard bound and signed it.

I got allot of others. I got pictures of Carl Stallings road runner cartoon scores. I got access when working for Disney on warner lot. Fires destroyed so much !

Enjoy! A saw buck (slang for $100) is a good deal!!! Howard must make money somehow! Scoring films does not always pay the bills! Ha
call Howard and bargain! He loves to bargain!

Last edited:
Sorry my dear friend.. Howard sells it direct.

My favorite is Jerry’s score to poltergeist! He had a copy made for me of my favorite cue when the aspiration or ghost comes out! He had it hard bound and signed it.

I got allot of others. I got pictures of Carl Stallings road runner cartoon scores. I got access when working for Disney on warner lot. Fires destroyed so much !

Enjoy! A saw buck (slang for $100) is a good deal!!! Howard must make money somehow! Scoring films does not always pay the bills! Ha
call Howard and bargain! He loves to bargain!

Bah humbug. I'll look for some fan midis then

You would think that the scores would be free! Me too. No reason they cant PDF them. If your a member of SCL use directory and call howard and ask for a copy! I think he has it in pdf.
They can and do pdf them, but the exchanges that popped up to facilitate their circulation got closed down for whatever reason. It’s hard to figure since the studios themselves haven’t been that interested in exploiting the full scores. It’s only been very recently that Omni, Siddall, and Neumation have come on the scene, and they struggle with clearing the rights (which is largely why obvious titles are missing from the catalogues) and with maintaining a reliable back catalogue (since their right to publish is very limited in duration and print run). If you know anything about publication costs (paper, inventory, etc) you will know that small print run businesses like film scores are not big profit centers and I don’t think any of those three makes enough in sales that they can afford to do it full time. At this point It’s basically a side hustle they do because they love the music. Before these publishers you had at best concert suites arranged for pops orchestra or maybe for youth orchestra. You had to get the actual scores through the network, which meant being in the business or knowing folks in the business who had access or visiting archives if they were open to the public—and that was generally restricted to older scores from the studio era.

There are now some discords that exchange film scores.
Which unlike the old Reddit sites, say, are not on the open internet and so you need to know someone to get an invitation, a bit broader maybe than being in the industry network, where they have always circulated (in xerox before PDFs) but likely not that much broader.

Which why we should praise our YouTube and internet transcribers who do it for the love of education. Those folks are awesome.

Top Bottom