What's new

What synths do top composers use?

Have used long list of Omnisphere _ 3rd Pty expansion creators _ to guide for many orchestral, cinematic, epic, xyz, interests. Often find very useful selections.
Absynth 5 became more visible, as PluginGuru showed interest with early days expansions.
Knifonium creeping slowly, on short list.
Knifonium I tried for the first time yesterday and ...wow

Using Omni 2.8 _ Thead pushing Positively toward Dune 3, as top-tier addition _ yet was committed to Abyss, as highly motivating, stimulating, fun add.

Fair to commend Abyss, yet exclude from this discussion _ as being more 'niche' choice ??

Using Omni 2.8 _ Thead pushing Positively toward Dune 3, as top-tier addition _ yet was committed to Abyss, as highly motivating, stimulating, fun add.

Fair to commend Abyss, yet exclude from this discussion _ as being more 'niche' choice ??
I don't have it, but I understand that it has certain limitations. I believe it uses samples, but whatever it uses, there is a finite number of them to play with. It's unusual way of combining sound sources means that you may find yourself making sounds that you wouldn't have otherwise, but it may make it difficult (or different enough) so that that, added to the limited sound sources, makes it less ideal for building patches according to a plan or pre-imagined sound.

Also, I hear it is great for pads. I don't know how it does with textures, but I doubt it is a good all round workhorse.

And, it's a recent synth, and top composers are old, grizzled and experienced with older, grizzlier synths.

None of that should put you off it!

Last edited:
I don't have it, but I understand that it has certain limitations. I believe it uses samples, but whatever it uses, there is a finite number of them to play with. It's unusual way of combining sound sources means that you may find yourself making sounds that you wouldn't have otherwise, but it may make it difficult (or different enough) so that that, added to the limited sound sources, makes it less ideal for building patches according to a plan or pre-imagined sound.

Also, I hear it is great for pads. I don't know how it does with textures, but I doubt it is a good all round workhorse.

And, it's a recent synth, and top composers are old, grizzled and experienced with older, grizzlier synths.

None of that should put you off it!
@ Tatiana Gordeeva surely got in my head with earlier creations. Dune 3 is top complement to Omni v2.8, yet will impose major study/learn time.
Abyss really should. as well, but guessing more 'fun' _ ( rhymes with nun ) in the process.

@ Tatiana Gordeeva surely got in my head with earlier creations. Dune 3 is top complement to Omni v2.8, yet will impose major study/learn time.
Abyss really should. as well, but guessing more 'fun' _ ( rhymes with nun ) in the process.
I think it will be fun too. But I find designing sounds in Falcon fun, so it seems like my opinion on fun is nun too reliable!

I am top composer for sure.

I use (in this order, for software not hardware):

Omnisphere
Zebra
Hive

However were I really top composer or at least reasonably well-paid mid composer with a smallish staff I would have a dedicated person or peoples that would design me both bespoke and original patches and sounds/sound design for every project utilizing these synths which I would later release to the public for a small or reasonably fair price using my name/image or the name/image of the project if allowed. Maybe people have done that already, I dunno.

I noticed a lot of Absynth 5 instances in an actual DAW session of Tom Holkenborg in one of his Zack Snyder’s Cut videos. (As well as plenty of 8Dio Lacrimosa).
Oscar-Wilde-absinthe.jpg

"Absynth makes the heart grow flounder, er, fonder." ~Oscar Wilde

I am top composer for sure.

I use (in this order, for software not hardware):

Omnisphere
Zebra
Hive

However were I really top composer or at least reasonably well-paid mid composer with a smallish staff I would have a dedicated person or peoples that would design me both bespoke and original patches and sounds/sound design for every project utilizing these synths which I would later release to the public for a small or reasonably fair price using my name/image or the name/image of the project if allowed. Maybe people have done that already, I dunno.

I just want a TENET soundset :crying:

Same same 10+ year ago it was quite nice vsti. Easy to use back then

really weird question on a forum like this. Who the hell does not want to know what top composers use here?
It’s synthesis…I mean…maybe they used hive, but you could make a similar sound with a number of other synths. I just find it odd to focus on the software more than the technique. I can understand the curiosity, but not so much the inclination to imitate. Just because HZ used Zebra doesn’t really mean it’s something we all need to use. Shouldn’t we be trying to find our own unique sounds?

It’s synthesis…I mean…maybe they used hive, but you could make a similar sound with a number of other synths. I just find it odd to focus on the software more than the technique. I can understand the curiosity, but not so much the inclination to imitate. Just because HZ used Zebra doesn’t really mean it’s something we all need to use. Shouldn’t we be trying to find our own unique sounds?
The question was "what synths do the top composers use" not "if I wanted to imitate the pros what would I need to use".

Dune still needs a lot of work to come close to 2021 standards.
I don’t know what those standards are, but man, it’s just the opposite for me: Dune is the synth against which all others are measured, at least in terms of sheer sound quality, ease of use, and inspiration factor. It’s just a monster in every way. Omnisphere is up there with it for sound an inspiration, but I absolutely hate using it - it feels like swimming in quicksand much of the time.

YMMV of course, but it’s a head scratcher to me that any synth lover wouldn’t have Dune high on their list!

I don’t know what those standards are, but man, it’s just the opposite for me: Dune is the synth against which all others are measured, at least in terms of sheer sound quality, ease of use, and inspiration factor. It’s just a monster in every way. Omnisphere is up there with it for sound an inspiration, but I absolutely hate using it - it feels like swimming in quicksand much of the time.

YMMV of course, but it’s a head scratcher to me that any synth lover wouldn’t have Dune high on their list!
I agree that Dune 3.5 matches Omnisphere for the sounds that it does well; but I suspect Omnisphere is a bit more versatile. If you are going to have, and learn, more than one synth, I'd certainly pick Dune over Omnisphere for sound. But, you know, tastes vary. I like using Omnisphere, but it does trouble my CPU on occasion. (So does Falcon, but only for the sounds that no instrument can do without troubling my CPU).

Not being a synthspert, Dune 3.5 may be lacking in all sorts of ways that I don't know about, but I am attracted to the smooth but robust sounds.

Shouldn’t we be trying to find our own unique sounds?
I think that depends on the job and how much you want it and a reputation as a reliable professional. Or, in my case, yes. Yes, I want to find my own unique sounds. But finding my own unique voice as a composer or musician would probably come first for me.

Outside of the fact that everyone's sound is unique somewhat (yes, there are of course degrees of uniqueness; if it referred only to absolute uniqueness it would have no value as a comparative), I'm never going to find a unique voice, way of playing, or composing. So, I generally focus on trying to express myself (hence my last song 'I hate my phone falling out my back pocket into the loo' or the perennial favourite 'I don't want to get up, but I don't want to stay in bed'), or write something that does a certain job, as well as I can.

But you do raise some interesting questions for another thread, if you wanted to start it. Such as, 'What have I learned from X?' or 'What is the wildest, least used instrument that is still sort of good?' Or some such.

I agree it's one of the best sounding synths, but in that bit you quoted I'm referring only to the UI.

Top Bottom