What's new

What kind of money does Kontakt Player cost developers?

. At this point I'm seriously considering going Player just so I don't have to deal with the "why does it say demo mode?" emails.
so then you will receive a lot of emails asking why their K player that have had for 4 years says your library was built for a newer version... and curse you because you force them to upgrade to the new KP which only works on a operative system they don't want to upgrade to... :)

If Apple was concerned as much as K Libraries Devs for their customer base, they would not come out every year with a new chip, or usb connection, and systems that throw off every software company out of the rail, spending more time updating their codes and less time be creative with new software...

At this point I'm seriously considering going Player just so I don't have to deal with the "why does it say demo mode?" emails. It's not that I get a ton of them, it's just that sinking feeling of potentially having to pay out a refund - every single sale matters to a one person dev, you know...
don't we all receive those??? No matter how huge you write it on the web page... :-(
Some are so harsh that they make you doubt if you ever wrote it at all... accusing you of misleading them.

but also you get those that want refunds because they can't install the library, and after back and forth of 10 angry emails they finally manage, and they end up buying almost are products... but that's another story....

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I was wondering if there are any benefits (except for having a bigger choice in libraries) to owning Kontakt vs Kontakt Player? None of my current libraries need the full version.

Mostly: opening yourself up to the VAST world of pro sample libraries outside of the Player realm. Plus: access to the full sampler.

Last edited:
so then you will receive a lot of emails asking why their K player that have had for 4 years says your library was built for a newer version... and curse you because you force them to upgrade to the new KP which only works on a operative system they don't want to upgrade to... :)

If Apple was concerned as much as K Libraries Devs for their customer base, they would not come out every year with a new chip, or usb connection, and systems that throw off every software company out of the rail, spending more time updating their codes and less time be creative with new software...
Yeah that's another downside I didn't consider. At the moment I'm able to develop everything I make for Kontakt 5, because I develop for full Kontakt.

Yeah that's another downside I didn't consider. At the moment I'm able to develop everything I make for Kontakt 5, because I develop for full Kontakt.
They let you encode for any Kontakt version as low as 5.6.8. I'm a backwards compatibility guy, and some of our customers don't want to get K6, so all our KPlayer libraries are encoded for 5.6.8.

Although ... it's a PIA at the creation level to do everything in 5.6.8, since some of the team often forgets and accidentally uses 5.8.1 to do some editing or mapping, which then won't load in 5.6.8. Chicken Systems can usually fix that, but it's a PIA, plus the KSP UI Z-Layers feature needs at least 5.7 and I love that feature, so for new stuff, we're moving to 5.8.1.

And with that said, there are some cool features in Kontakt 6 that are getting hard to ignore, so we'll be moving some libraries to K6. Most likely 6.2, since that's when they added the ability for users to add their own samples. And ... I guess release velocities in 6.3 would be nice ... and 16 EVENT_PAR_CUSTOM variables in 6.4 would be really handy ... and ... 999 controllers per type would in 6.5 would be really handy ... and ... :grin:

They let you encode for any Kontakt version as low as 5.6.8. I'm a backwards compatibility guy, and some of our customers don't want to get K6, so all our KPlayer libraries are encoded for 5.6.8.

Although ... it's a PIA at the creation level to do everything in 5.6.8, since some of the team often forgets and accidentally uses 5.8.1 to do some editing or mapping, which then won't load in 5.6.8. Chicken Systems can usually fix that, but it's a PIA, plus the KSP UI Z-Layers feature needs at least 5.7 and I love that feature, so for new stuff, we're moving to 5.8.1.

And with that said, there are some cool features in Kontakt 6 that are getting hard to ignore, so we'll be moving some libraries to K6. Most likely 6.2, since that's when they added the ability for users to add their own samples. And ... I guess release velocities in 6.3 would be nice ... and 16 EVENT_PAR_CUSTOM variables in 6.4 would be really handy ... and ... 999 controllers per type would in 6.5 would be really handy ... and ... :grin:
That's great to know, I wasn't aware of that. I'm a backwards compatibility guy too, so all my stuff works in 5.6.6 except the harmonium, where I needed some of the KSP features only available in 5.7.3. I'm probably moving to 5.8.1 as well going forward. I know plenty of people who still haven't upgraded to K6, but I think that the vast majority of people still on K5 will probably be on the latest version of that. Not that I have any data to back up that hunch though.

K6 does indeed have some tasty features, and I think creator tools could save me a lot of time, so it is becoming very, very tempting. I'm one of those poor souls who don't have Chicken Systems...

Here's another interesting update: The person who didn't know we have to buy licenses from NI and wrote "Why? All the other libraries I have work in the Player"...has now - as a direct result of me explaining it to him - bought the full version of Kontakt (and subsequently all my libraries). As far as I'm concerned NI should be paying me a fee, not the other way around.

Last edited:
That is a really big part of it as Kontakt doesn't seem to really have any copy protection, given nearly all the pirated libraries are Full and Player Kontakt libraries
ah no. As a reformed pirate, trust me, g/l finding a full working version of Kontakt. Unless things have changed in recent years....but I get the impression torrent sites have largely gone to a pay model, which IMO is bizarre, although possibly in a good way ("want free stuff? pay us first") but whatever.

As for Kontakt, IMO the UI sucks in a wide variety of ways, so I'm very glad companies are coming up with their own, even if the early returns are iffy. My (faint) hope is that trend continues and pushes NI to get off their fat arses and improve it.

What's everyone current (2024) perception on the ratio between full Kontakt and Kontakt player users?
With NI offering to wave the encoding fee, one would think that K player would grow substantially for version 7.

What's everyone current (2024) perception on the ratio between full Kontakt and Kontakt player users?
With NI offering to wave the encoding fee, one would think that K player would grow substantially for version 7.
I've often thought about this myself. Maybe in the future, I'll make a version of my libraries for the Player, or perhaps something entirely new.

The way I see it, as an independent developer, I have to carefully balance the budget I put into producing the library against the revenues after taxes and the share of royalties my distributor takes.

Adding the costs for encoding and serials into this equation requires thoughtful consideration.
This approach makes sense for me personally.
Most of the users I cater to, about 90%, own Kontakt Full.

My libraries are primarily designed for sound design, film scoring, and video games, areas where owning Kontakt Full is quite common, either through Komplete or a crossgrade from Player to Full.

While the Player offers advantages—like better management of Snapshot Presets, which led me to create an installer to help less experienced users place User Snapshots correctly—the cost doesn't justify the investment for me at this moment.

I plan to keep developing for Kontakt Full.

Top Bottom