What's new

What are Afflatus' biggest gaps?

ScrltPumpernickel

Hello, I have a question for the Afflatus Strings users: what, in your personal experience, it's weakest spots are, what precludes it from being your main strings library? Maybe something obvious I missed, researching it the last couple days; apart from the (IMO) lackluster 1st chairs?
Thank you.

I’m just learning the library but right now the biggest weakness is work flow. its not set up at all for how I like to work so it’s taking some time to integrate the library. It’s also in essence a bundle of libraries and each of those libraries is optimized for particular uses, and many of those are therefore missing articulations that are not central to that use. Overall Afflatus has most things covered here or there but you might have to shift from one part of the library to another to cover it, and there are seams between the underlying parts of the library that can make it feel like you are stitching together different libraries. I don’t mean any of this as a criticism, as it’s a function of what the library as a whole is optimized to do, but it’s a liability of that design.

I’m just learning the library but right now the biggest weakness is work flow. its not set up at all for how I like to work so it’s taking some time to integrate the library. It’s also in essence a bundle of libraries and each of those libraries is optimized for particular uses, and many of those are therefore missing articulations that are not central to that use. Overall Afflatus has most things covered here or there but you might have to shift from one part of the library to another to cover it, and there are seams between the underlying parts of the library that can make it feel like you are stitching together different libraries. I don’t mean any of this as a criticism, as it’s a function of what the library as a whole is optimized to do, but it’s a liability of that design.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Were there any particular articulations that you missed the most?
Also, how does artificial sordino sounds to you compared to, say, CSS, if you happen to have this library?

I don’t have CSS. I’ve only toyed with the Afflatus simulated sordinos and haven’t tried them in context yet.

So far it’s not really missing articulations per se, but more thinking about how to set it up and realizing that if I choose, say, Scene d’Amour that I’ll be restricted to a subset of articulations and if I want articulations not in that setup I’ll have to shift to a different patch, set up with a different approach and likely a different number of players, not con sord, etc. That’s what I mean by there being seams in the library that you need to take into consideration. But on the whole the library offers lots options, with each of its patches aimed at particular sweet spots, and the sweet spots are well chosen and as many have noted, very inspiring. The library also has a lot of different legato options, and is similar to SCS in that respect (though Afflatus is organized around having legato for most of its various ensemble types whereas SCS is organized around legatos for its many long articulations).

So true. Afflatus is guilty in that sense. It was never meant to be a comprehensive string lib, but rather a sonic fountain of inspiration made possible through unique articulations, smooth playability, and a gorgeous tone that's just as versatile as it is distinctive.

And while it may not cater to one's specific workflow, it's easily one of the most user friendly string libs I've ever come across.
It's nearly foolproof compared to some of the other string libs in my arsenal.

If i were to fault it, I would say that It would be nice to be able to separate the instruments in some of the combination patches (like you can in the pads section).

And like you, i wish there was more consistency throughout the library. For example, they give you the Trailer Basses patch, but no other Trailer patches for rest of the string family.

Fortunately, I've always been a meat and potatos type of composer, so Afflatus works incredibly well for my style!

If i were looking for a string library with an extensive list of articulations that could handle most mockups, I'd probably recommend something like Synchron Pro, SSS, Berlin, or Hollywood Strings, but ironically, none of those can do what Afflatus can, especially when it comes to the aleatoric content and unique tonal structure of some of the patches. That's one way Afflatus stands out from the rest.

Last edited:
For bread and butter patches, curious what Afflatus does that the standard issue libraries (CSS, SSS, Hollywood Strings, VSL) don't already do? It seems to lack a number of bread and butter articulations in a sense. And then for the aleatoric / FX stuff, how does it compare to something like Spitfire's LCO Strings or Bernard Hermann Toolkit (which seem more extensive in terms of non-bread and butter articulations)?

So true. Afflatus is guilty in that sense. It was never meant to be a comprehensive string lib, but rather a sonic fountain of inspiration made possible through unique articulations, smooth playability, and a gorgeous tone that's just as versatile as it is distinctive.

And while it may not cater to one's specific workflow, it's easily one of the most user friendly string libs I've ever come across.
It's nearly foolproof compared to some of the other string libs in my arsenal.

If i were to fault it, I would say that It would be nice to be able to separate the instruments in some of the combination patches (like you can in the pads section).

And like you, i wish there was more consistency throughout the library. For example, they give you the Trailer Basses patch, but no other Trailer patches for rest of the string family.

Fortunately, I've always been a meat and potatos type of composer, so Afflatus works incredibly well for my style!

If i were looking for a string library with an extensive list of articulations that could handle most mockups, I'd probably recommend something like Synchron Pro, SSS, Berlin, or Hollywood Strings, but ironically, none of those can do what Afflatus can, especially when it comes to the aleatoric content and unique tonal structure of some of the patches. That's one way Afflatus stands out from the rest.

Mike. Would it be fair to say that it is similiar to Symphobia 3: Lumina in that you need to pick a story and compose for that story instead of composing original music and trying to make Afflatus work for that original music?

Because that is how it is seeming to me.

For bread and butter patches, curious what Afflatus does that the standard issue libraries (CSS, SSS, Hollywood Strings, VSL) don't already do? It seems to lack a number of bread and butter articulations in a sense. And then for the aleatoric / FX stuff, how does it compare to something like Spitfire's LCO Strings or Bernard Hermann Toolkit (which seem more extensive in terms of non-bread and butter articulations)?
For bread and butter articulations, Afflatus isn't as extensive as something like SSS, and that's not why you buy Afflatus (please see my other post).

Comparing Afflatus to LCO or BHCT is definitely an apples/oranges situation. For starters, the BHCT really doesn't have that much aleatoric content. It's actually a pretty straightforward library with some standard instrument combinations, as well as some one shot fx. You also have the the playable chords that dabble in mysterious side, but that's about it.

LCO is a lot closer to Afflatus than BHCT in terms of aleatoric content, but it definitely doesn't have the same aleatoric articulations that Afflatus has, or anything close to the experimental stuff (Middle East strings, Pharaoh Strings, Tibetion Hornstrings, etc., or a pads section for that matter!) You're also dealing with a MUCH different sound between the two libraries. They're sonically different in every way possible.

Finally, Afflatus has some patches that are just standouts, like the Scene d' Amour, or Pyschatto strings, which are spiccatos played con sordino. I've honestly yet to find any other string library that offers spiccatos with this much grit. They've become my go-to for multiple scenerios.

Mike. Would it be fair to say that it is similiar to Symphobia 3: Lumina in that you need to pick a story and compose for that story instead of composing original music and trying to make Afflatus work for that original music?

Because that is how it is seeming to me.

Not necessarily, no. Overall, Afflatus isn't nearly as constricting as something like Lumina.

Obviously, you have patches in Afflatus that cater to certain styles, but Afflatus has so many standard articulations that you can use them for just about any genre.

Afflatus is a wonderful library... But it cannot do runs...cause its not created for that...
Fast passages were definitely not its strong suit... until the 1.3 update. I am very happy with the new marcato patches and chamber spiccatos that are broken down by section. To me, they offer a level of detail and energy for quick passages that was missing before. It won't do runs as well as, say, Orchestral String Runs from OT, because that's purpose-designed for it. However, I think it can handle fast movements very well now.

The Mysterious Legato patches are also more of a revelation than a mystery. They are agile and expressive.

The 1.3 update moved me from viewing Afflatus as a 'neat grab bag of stuff' to 'I should start using this on a lot more cues.'

Finally, Afflatus has some patches that are just standouts, like the Scene d' Amour, or Pyschatto strings, which are spiccatos played con sordino. I've honestly yet to find any other string library that offers spiccatos with this much grit. They've become my go-to for multiple scenerios.
The Psychatto shorts are great and extremely useful. The only other library I have that features comparable aggressive shorts is the OT Metropolis Ark series, and I kind of have to mix a bunch of their various short articulations to get it right.

I love many aspects of lots of string libraries, and own an amount that is with certainty 'too many' by any objective standard. None of them do everything right. With the 1.3 update, Afflatus is edging close to that territory. If I had to throw out every string library I have except for one, it'd be a toss-up between Afflatus and 8Dio's Century 2.0.

Afflatus's 'weakest' spot for me is probably its tone... and I even like that, just not for all occasions or genres. The First Chairs are kind of uninspiring to me as solo instruments, but may work well layered in on lines. I think at half-price it's a really, really good buy. And I really have to congratulate Strezov on the 1.3 update. That was a remarkably valuable addition, for free, to an already fine library. So, thanks to George for that!

Fast passages were definitely not its strong suit... until the 1.3 update. I am very happy with the new marcato patches and chamber spiccatos that are broken down by section. To me, they offer a level of detail and energy for quick passages that was missing before. It won't do runs as well as, say, Orchestral String Runs from OT, because that's purpose-designed for it. However, I think it can handle fast movements very well now.

The Mysterious Legato patches are also more of a revelation than a mystery. They are agile and expressive.

The 1.3 update moved me from viewing Afflatus as a 'neat grab bag of stuff' to 'I should start using this on a lot more cues.'

The Psychatto shorts are great and extremely useful. The only other library I have that features comparable aggressive shorts is the OT Metropolis Ark series, and I kind of have to mix a bunch of their various short articulations to get it right.

I love many aspects of lots of string libraries, and own an amount that is with certainty 'too many' by any objective standard. None of them do everything right. With the 1.3 update, Afflatus is edging close to that territory. If I had to throw out every string library I have except for one, it'd be a toss-up between Afflatus and 8Dio's Century 2.0.

Afflatus's 'weakest' spot for me is probably its tone... and I even like that, just not for all occasions or genres. The First Chairs are kind of uninspiring to me as solo instruments, but may work well layered in on lines. I think at half-price it's a really, really good buy. And I really have to congratulate Strezov on the 1.3 update. That was a remarkably valuable addition, for free, to an already fine library. So, thanks to George for that!

Ah man, Afflatus and Century 2.0 are the ones I'm currently trying to decide between (and perhaps NSS). How would you compare the 2? When it comes to articulations they share, legatos / polyphonic legatos , shorts, workflow, ease of use, sound out of the box etc.?

Unfortunately there aren't many videos or reviews of either library out there :(

Ah man, Afflatus and Century 2.0 are the ones I'm currently trying to decide between (and perhaps NSS). How would you compare the 2? When it comes to articulations they share, legatos / polyphonic legatos , shorts, workflow, ease of use, sound out of the box etc.?

Unfortunately there aren't many videos or reviews of either library out there :(

Cory always does the review videos that you want:

maybe you could ask him to do a review on Century Strings 2.0

That is very reassuring. Thank you.

I think the official 8Dio videos for Century 2.0 do a pretty good job presenting its sound and capabilities, especially the one Colin did of the track he composed. They're in the threads for the product elsewhere on the forum here. But I'll give my opinion, too.

The biggest difference is that Afflatus is trying to capture certain moods or ideas with its instruments, and Century Strings is a more traditional toolbox of articulations. However, Century does go beyond what a lot of libraries offer, particularly with the arcs. The polyphonic legato arcs are really pretty cool, and finally behave just how I'd always hoped they would. Century also has the full con sordino library if you get the bundle.

Afflatus is more similar to the 8Dio Adagio/Agitato libraries, in that all feature different playing styles meant to evoke certain moods... but Afflatus carries the concept further and imo executes it better. All of those libraries also present different section sizes, whereas Century is only the full string orchestra (but does have separate Violins 1 and Violins 2 sections).

Afflatus also has some similarities to OT's Metropolis Ark 4, in that both offer patches with non-standard ensemble combinations. Century doesn't delve into that territory.

While Afflatus and Century are both 'string libraries,' they each promote very different approaches to orchestrating and composing. They also differ enough in tone that one or the other may be better suited for a specific project. Both can produce expressive music at a variety of tempi. I think Afflatus has more character and quirk, but that's not always desirable. They're both very good libraries with some overlapping strengths but many differences that could suit various projects better or worse.

Basically, if you think you're getting out of this thread buying only one sample library, you'll be sorely disappointed. Welcome to media composing. Get ready for all your hard drive space, time and money to disappear.

Here's a little example of Afflatus 1.3 in action:

The first pass is straight out of the box, all mic positions and onboard reverb active. The second pass is just the close and decca mics, plus EW Spaces 2 and a little EQ. I don't especially love the hall mics or built-in reverb in Afflatus, but you might! I used the new marcato and chamber spiccato patches for Violins 1, 2 (in unison) and Viola, and the Psychatto shorts for the Celli and Basses. I spent about 30m on it, so it's no masterpiece, but I thought it might offer an idea of how the library performs in quick moving passages.

It's only weakness for me is the lack of consistency of articulations between families of strings (Lush Strings, Scene D'amore, Mysterious, Minimalist, et al)

But I am discovering so many great things is the library that every time I build a multi I think "ooh, maybe I should swap this patch out for this other."

Got it only yesterday and it stopped me from getting Synchron Strings Pro. It's definitely great for creativity and I love the tone of the chamber and lush strings, now on to the Berlin Strings elephant in the room... :whistling:

Top Bottom