What's new

Weird! GigaStudio GUI disappears, still sample playing!

Peter Roos

On my brass machine (XP, 2 Gb, latest GigaStudio) I recently started getting this weird behavior: all at a sudden the entire application simply disappears, while the engine just keeps on working!

Anyone ever experienced this same phenomenon?

I am not happy to reinstall, because I had a lot of problems with MidiOverLan, Performance Tool and Giga on this machine....

Yes I have, used to get it a lot. Very weird.

Giga has such ridiculous bugs.

Still I dig it very much that you can have so much samples loaded and with Gst 3.2 I no longer have any crackles or clicks. With the previous version I always had to bounce my mixes in parts and edit those in SoundForge.

It's still my preferred sample player platform.

I'm going to take a wild stab at this and say that your computer is f^%ked up.

GigaStudio 4 should be much more stable. We've moved the QuickSound search out of the kernel, which was responsible for many of the problems in the past. I'm installing beta 1 in Windows XP 64 today. In a few paychecks I'll start buying stupid amounts of RAM to play with. :)

hey Jeff,

(I still need to send some discs to you, not forgotten, but been doing a lot of other things lately).

I will run some heavy DOS based memory checks on the machine and check the disks thoroughly. My 3 Giga PC's are practically the same Athlon machines, but this one gave me rougher installation - not getting all ports when using PerfTool, etc. Maybe I need to check all running services as well.

Another weird thing on this PC:
after booting, when I start the PerfTool right away, it takes 1-2 minutes before its window is displayed. If I wait a few minutes, it starts right away...

If I expand my (small) sampler farm, I certainly want to keep these older machines up and running (black box idea), with GigaStudio 3.21. It makes no sense to use Giga 4 on them. So, I will probably build another 64 bit machine for Giga 4, when I can afford the switch to Madi.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter,

Are you using one of the RAM optimizer presets in system settings? I have found wonky behavior of video display stuff in general to be connected to the higher presets.

If the problem is not intermittent, and if you can afford to lose a little RAM access, I'd recommend playing around with lower presets.

-Belbin

I will experiment with that once I have my Ghost 12 upgrade and an the additional external WD drive for my NAS and when I have a good image of the system drive. I remember that experimenting with the presets gave me a lot of troubles.

I am now focusing first on absolute safety and redundant backup strategies (like in the article in the latest SoundOnSound).

Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom