What's new

We need to talk about self-promotion

Btw, (and sorry for digging up an older conversation) there is another reason to be posting your work online other than self-promotion: It's simply fun to talk with like-minded people about your and their creative endeavors and tastes. I mean, this is a forum full of composers. Why not share your work and connect with people who have something in common with you? It doesn't always mean the person doing the sharing is just looking to better their career.

Btw, (and sorry for digging up an older conversation) there is another reason to be posting your work online other than self-promotion: It's simply fun to talk with like-minded people about your and their creative endeavors and tastes. I mean, this is a forum full of composers. Why not share your work and connect with people who have something in common with you? It doesn't always mean the person doing the sharing is just looking to better their career.
Not always, but I think it's a pretty common theme since getting a 'job' in this industry is so damn hard atm.

(I mean it always was hard, now there's just less avenues for consistent revenue than there were before)

I have a youtube channel. This very same username. I've had it for over 10 years.

This is my latest video:

I also make CGI reconstructions and animations of castles, churches, abbeys and other medieval-stuff. I've worked together with a museum for historical accuracy etc. But at the moment, my channel is still below 1000 subscribers.

Beautiful! And the best use of Silka? I’ve heard, so far!

A question: Did Facebook help you get your music noticed either from your profile or page> And for those who do not want to use or have Facebook what is the alternative? Soundcloud seems so different nowadays. I remember the times when you could post in groups there and be very helpful. But things has changed! Not to mention the royalties per stream on streaming platforms starting with zero point zero etc .. I wonder how royalties work for movies and TV series on Apple, Netflix etc .. Oh and finally I like the community and forum here.

A question: Did Facebook help you get your music noticed either from your profile or page> And for those who do not want to use or have Facebook what is the alternative? Soundcloud seems so different nowadays.
This thread is a bit misaligned from the start given the vagueness of the OP's original post, clearly not understanding what promotion is and OP comments about limitations in posting links to works are nonsensical and false...Facebook, Twitter, many other mediums allow links, there is absolutely no shortage of places to spam the internet with information via hyperlink.

Besides all of this...self-promotion in a B2B ecosystem also does not generally involve the same machinations seen in B2C ecosystems.

For frame of reference, not a single one of the working relationships I have developed for composing is based on anything other than in-person networking, email communications and shared drive file transfers.

This thread is a bit misaligned from the start given the vagueness of the OP's original post, clearly not understanding what promotion is and OP comments about limitations in posting links to works are nonsensical and false...Facebook, Twitter, many other mediums allow links, there is absolutely no shortage of places to spam the internet with information via hyperlink.

Besides all of this...self-promotion in a B2B ecosystem also does not generally involve the same machinations seen in B2C ecosystems.

For frame of reference, not a single one of the working relationships I have developed for composing is based on anything other than in-person networking, email communications and shared drive file transfers.
From my past experience though, Myspace and Facebook helped to collaborate with other artists and receiving invites to have my music remixed. All this thanks from my netwerking from Myspace and facebook and soundcloud. And yes we ended up sending each other music files so we can can work on them. And alot of awareness to my music stemmed from these sites as well. . But I think some of these sites today changed and so I do not know today.

From my past experience though, Myspace and Facebook helped to collaborate with other artists and receiving invites to have my music remixed. All this thanks from my netwerking from Myspace and facebook and soundcloud. And yes we ended up sending each other music files so we can can work on them. And alot of awareness to my music stemmed from these sites as well. . But I think some of these sites today changed and so I do not know today.
If that is your end goal, then having your music available on similar sites may open up more opportunity to interact with others, tho that ecosystem is also the wild west of rights management.

My main point was simply that this entire thread is based on broad, false assumptions by OP since self-promotion is no different than any other marketing - it requires a strategy for the business a composer is looking to generate or it just becomes another immeasurable activity.

My main point was simply that this entire thread is based on broad, false assumptions by OP since self-promotion is no different than any other marketing - it requires a strategy for the business a composer is looking to generate or it just becomes another immeasurable activity.
Since I moved on to posting my stuff on Facebook, things went a lot more smoothly.

Last edited:
Since I moved on to posting my stuff on Facebook, things went a lot more smoothly.
But it doesn't mean my assumptions are false. The problem on facebook is the same as everywhere else:

There are virtually no groups on Facebook for musicians where they are allowed to post their own musical works.
These assumptions are false.

It seems like VI is the only place on the entire internet that allows musicians to link to their own works.

In other words: There are far too few places where musicians are allowed to promote their own works or themselves.

Why is self-promotion so bad, and if self-promotion really is so bad, how are new musicians ever supposed to be allowed a chance to get heard, if they have no place to publish their music and have people talk about them?
There are infinite opportunities for self-promotion and there is no one-size-fits-all, people simply need to get creative.

Late to the party but would like to chime in nontheless.

I sympathize with your frustration somewhat. This year I posted some of my songs (new and old) to youtube and distributed through Distrokid and the only "promotion" I ever did was to post my youtube links on my personal facebook with a couple of hundred friends, which resulted in likes from my mom and my sister, along with one occational comment now and then. Despite this my monthly listeners on Spotify grew every day up until it plateaued at 15k about a month ago and aggressively decreased after. Now it's probably down to single digits. The only reason for this was that Spotify had some of my tracks on their algorithmic playlists a little while.

I still don't know how and why they were selected for the algorithm, but I did learn that the algorithm is very powerful. I assume the same applies to other platforms, like Youtube e.g.

This made me do some research about promotion and learned about playlist pitching etc. I pitched to some user playlists that didn't require me to pay, resulting in one track added to one playlist, I don't think I've gotten a single play from that.

Youtube (and internet as a whole) has great resources about music promotion, but I find the VAST majority is aimed towards bands and aspiring pop stars. A lot of talk about social media presence, image, live gigs and such. I don't want to be a "brand", I would prefer to not even have my face associated with my music. All I'm concerned with is that the people who would enjoy my music could easily find it.

As for your complaint about Facebook groups, as people have pointed out, a lot of them want to inspire discussion and sharing knowlege in a particular field and don't want to be cluttered with self promotions. Also, have you actually looked at the groups that allow or encourage it? It's filled to the brink with posts with virtually no engagements from anyone. Mostly for the reason that people post the song they want to "promote" and then bounce. No one is interested in listening to the other contributors and most potential fans are generally not a members of those groups. I found the same results on sites like Reddit etc.

Before I went on my promotion research-binge, I also posted a link on this very forum, although not for the reasons of gaining listeners but for feedback to progress my craft. There is A LOT of people here with a wealth of knowledge. I didn't recieve any comments then either (not a diss towards this forum or any of it's members, I myself didn't listen and give feeback to other posts, so I'm just as guilty as anyone). If you're primarily looking to spread your music to fans I don't think this forum should be your main focus.

One tip I picked up was to do collaborations with others, for a chance to pick up some of their fans, but this could be hard if you've got no established connection to work with. In that case this forum (and others) could be a good starting point.

Also, covers of famous song could give your works great spread, but therein lies problems with permissions and costs. Besides, often when I see a Youtube channel with lots of popular and well recieved covers their occational original works usually recieves a tiny fraction of the same engagement. Generally, most people are there for the fun covers, not originals.

Another angle is doing related videos on Youtube, like tips and tutorials for mixing/orchestration/composing etc. But you risk running in to the same problem as above. If you're doing good tutorials and gain traction, then that's what people will be there for. I'm as guilty as anyone in that regard. If I follow a channel based on their sample walkthroughs/reviews, I tend to spend very little time diving into their original music.

Most of these hurdles dissappear however, if I'm primarily a fan of their music first. In that case I LOVE to watch anything they present about the process. The problem is to get people to first notice your music.

So, all in all, it's not an easy beat to dance to and I get your frustration. My best tip, by far, would be to try to "hack" the algorithms of varios platforms, but I have no good idea of how to do it.
I think I could do better on Youtube by video tagging (I do none of that) and adding descriptions describing the "point" and thought process of the pieces I upload. Most friends I explain that to really enjoy that and it often gives them a whole new level of appreciation of the music, but I believe it wouldn't have the same (maybe even opposite) effect on a stranger reading it on the internet. Besides, I'm the kind of dude who wants the listener to figure it out on their own.

Finally, watch out for scams, there are a lot of them. E.g. Don't pay some random dude to listen to your track with the promise that, if he likes it, he'll write about it in his blog or add it to his playlist. Check if anyone reads his blog or listen to his playlist, and don't pay him for merely listening. After he gets his money he has no incentive to feature you. Good marketing cost money, yes, but make sure they actually can deliver results.
And bevare of bots and bought "likes". It may look good on your socials (for a while) but most platforms see through that and can take actions against you.

TL;DR: Work the algorithms, do collaborations, do covers, present related content. None of them are easy and sure to bring any results, but they are more likely to work than posting in Facebook groups.

Last edited:
Top Bottom