What's new

Warning-CLICKBAIT!-Essential Purchase for anyone seriously interested in film music

I stand corrected
Classy response.

This guy @joebaggan is clearly a bit of a prick and doesn't know how to "read the room" as MikeG likes to say. And obviously this is not overpriced for what it is. Normally I would say why the heck do you need to butt in on someone else's thread and voice your displeasure for no reason... if you think it's too expensive don't buy it and move on, easy. But... THE THREAD TITLE.

Star Trek The Motion Picture is 41 now. The fact that this title sold out in one day shows the value that many people see in this music.

there are two deeply analytic books on Planet of the Apes (the score, now over half a century old) in terms of the tone rows Goldsmith used and the intricate architecture he employed.

To dismiss the artistic impact of one of the giants of film music isn’t just ignorant, it’s flat out disrespectful.

WARNING - Ridiculously overpriced score! No thanks!
Huh? This is what scores cost. I was thrilled when I got the full original Star Wars on sale for $75. If what one of us can produce is overpriced, then let's shut down the site, sell the gear and move on.

I think some around here think this is a hollywood movie music forum or a movie music forum ( it's not ) and that hollywood music and star wars/star trek in particular is the musical artistic achievement of the century, and that I'd want to fork out big bucks like this is Rite of Spring or some concert work masterpiece of the last 100 years. It's not and never will be. We're talking mainstream hollywood schlockfests originally targeted to prepubescents. If that's your gig, great, but worth noting that not everyone around here is going to want to BUY THIS BOOK or other clickbait posts. This forum really needs a Hollywood Movie Music subforum for this.
Just under 100% of my score collection is from Classical orchestral literature. Film scores generally aren’t available in any case which - as with all rare goods - would tend to make them far more expensive. People are simply pointing out that $85 for a 500 page score of almost any kind (let alone a score in hi demand by a certain group of genre enthusiasts) is not expensive but actually inexpensive (opposite your initial argument.)

So the financial argument is less about film music than it is about the production of a large score for a limited market - from a composer who’s work is simply not available - yet in high demand.

There are countless enthusiastic and even hyperbolic posts here regarding all things, Gaming, Notation, Synths, Instruments, Samples and on and on. We all ignore them on a daily basis while looking in on our interests. Join in in that way if you don’t want to join in in another.

Last edited:
I went and listened to all the Omni stuff on offer. Hoooo-boy, imagine having some books this fun!

Have to admit, the Elfman Batman and Silvestri BTTF get me hopping like a cartoon frog. Reading the stories of how complex such a publishing effort can be, meh, you pays your money, you gets your score.

Way to go. It's a look inside the mind of genius, from authentic sources.
I just started copying Silvestri BTTF Tonight. Now, this! Cool.

I think some around here think this is a hollywood movie music forum or a movie music forum ( it's not ) and that hollywood music and star wars/star trek in particular is the musical artistic achievement of the century, and that I'd want to fork out big bucks like this is Rite of Spring or some concert work masterpiece of the last 100 years. It's not and never will be. We're talking mainstream hollywood schlockfests originally targeted to prepubescents.
sorry, but I think this is just plain prepubescent ***

I just listend to a random track of Star Trek and instantly got kicked back to 2020 and connected to the Queens Gambit main motive (the rhythm) .. *surpriise*, these things get reused over time .. stand on the shoulder of giants

Last edited:
The thing I can't understand is how is possible that the shipment cost is more expensive than the book itself. :shocked:

I think some around here think this is a hollywood movie music forum or a movie music forum ( it's not ) and that hollywood music and star wars/star trek in particular is the musical artistic achievement of the century, and that I'd want to fork out big bucks like this is Rite of Spring or some concert work masterpiece of the last 100 years. It's not and never will be. We're talking mainstream hollywood schlockfests originally targeted to prepubescents. If that's your gig, great, but worth noting that not everyone around here is going to want to BUY THIS BOOK or other clickbait posts. This forum really needs a Hollywood Movie Music subforum for this.
Man, you are out of line.
Too much pride and anger...

there are two deeply analytic books on Planet of the Apes (the score, now over half a century old) in terms of the tone rows Goldsmith used and the intricate architecture he employed.
Hello @dcoscina,
Do you have references of these 2 books please?
Thanks!

There are some white papers out there that get into the music of Star Trek, including a lot by Goldsmith. I'll try to find it

Top Bottom