What's new

Wallander WIVI

Hello, fellow WIVI fans!
I'm here because I have some potentially good news for you. This morning (Dec 18th, 2023), I got an email from Alexander at Wallander; see below:

Hello Mark! :)

Thank you for contacting us!

I have just sent you new download links via a separate email.

Unfortunately, we must inform you that WIVI was discontinued a few
years ago and is no longer being updated or maintained. As a result,
it may not be compatible with the latest operating systems.

However, we are working on an update to ensure that it is compatible
with the current operating systems. We do not have a specific timeline
for this project as it is a complex process. Updating WIVI for the
current operating system requires intricate work since it has not been
updated for several years.

It may also be helpful to know that WIVI was last reported to work on
macOS Monterey 12.7.1 with an Intel processor. However, we do not have
any information about its compatibility with Windows devices.

Best regards,
Alexander
Wallander Instruments

I would love for them to unlock the parameters in the vst for the daw to access…this would be very very useful for me

Hello, fellow WIVI fans!
I'm here because I have some potentially good news for you. This morning (Dec 18th, 2023), I got an email from Alexander at Wallander; see below:

Hello Mark! :)

Thank you for contacting us!

I have just sent you new download links via a separate email.

Unfortunately, we must inform you that WIVI was discontinued a few
years ago and is no longer being updated or maintained. As a result,
it may not be compatible with the latest operating systems.

However, we are working on an update to ensure that it is compatible
with the current operating systems. We do not have a specific timeline
for this project as it is a complex process. Updating WIVI for the
current operating system requires intricate work since it has not been
updated for several years.

It may also be helpful to know that WIVI was last reported to work on
macOS Monterey 12.7.1 with an Intel processor. However, we do not have
any information about its compatibility with Windows devices.

Best regards,
Alexander
Wallander Instruments
thanks for point this out. i was so bummed when i realized the wivi plugin wouldn't load anymore... there is stiff competition for this type of VI now, but i still have a special place in my heart for it

thanks for point this out. i was so bummed when i realized the wivi plugin wouldn't load anymore... there is stiff competition for this type of VI now, but i still have a special place in my heart for it
Me too! There's something about WIVI that's authentic. The way the horns and reeds sit in a mix. I still have WIVI working on an old 2009 Mac Pro. Altho' it's way off in the future, I'll be delighted when Wallander releases a new update.

That would be a good bet, EvilDragon. Any older Windows based system with WIVI installed should work fine. Altho I run WIVI on OSX, my sys is 15 years old! Works like a champ.

Hey Rob, yes, I'm a WIVI fan. Especially like their Trumpet mutes which I discovered when working on a Ragtime/Dixieland style arrangement. Paired up with a SWAM Clarinet and VSL trombones, they have this wonderful character that sits so well in a mix. Plus there's something about the weird WIVI interface that I love. Hope Wallander brings it back.

Nice to know it might be updated. I'm in the middle of configuring my new MP 2023, and tried installing it. It installed, but it definitely does not work on Mac M2 Ultra with Ventura 13.6.1.

Hey Lee,
Funny, Last month I bought the same Mac as you, the M2 Ultra. Just updated to Sonoma 14.2 after vetting all my plug-ins (everything works.) Being able to use WIVI is one of the reasons I still keep my old 2009 Mac Pro up and running. You're absolutely right, of course. WIVI will NOT run on the new systems.

Ventura 13.6 here on M1 Ultra and Macbook Pro M2. In Logic running WIVI without problems.
(Logic uses RosettaII for Intel-only plugins even when running natively.)
Maybe it's just the installer... I migrated my system where WIVI was already installed.

(Update: Updated to 13.6.3 - WIVI still running)

Last edited:
I'm still loving WIVI in Digital Performer 11 on my M1 Mac Studio Ultra running Ventura 13.5.1 at the moment. I use the AU version which requires Rosetta on Apple Silicon, but very low CPU hit regardless. Like Logic, DP can run Native while allowing Rosetta for plugins that require it.

For me, the horns and the clarinet are still go-to's... I use the WIVI Clarinet with Musical Sampling's Barker Clarinet, both controlled by a Breath Controller. The Barker attack is great, but the vibrato sustain doesn't allways work; I switch the MIDI output to WIVI in those cases and find the tone matching really well. I look forward to an update.

It is all about BC with these instruments. They respond so nicely!

Is it still possible to buy WIVI somehow? Has anyone tried contacting about it? There's not many VIs that are in the same style as WIVI.

Hey Rob, Thanks for turning me on to the WIVI Euphonium. I've never heard or used one before. What a beautiful, warm sound! Especially as a solo instrument. Forgive my ignorance but how do you use the Euphonium in section work? If you have some spare time, I'd like to know your thoughts on it for arranging.

HCMarkus, You're the first person I know of, that's been able to make WIVI work on the new Mac architecture, an Ultra no less, that's amazing!

HCMarkus, You're the first person I know of, that's been able to make WIVI work on the new Mac architecture, an Ultra no less, that's amazing!
Saxor sounds like he's got it going, too. Rosetta2 is pretty amazing... I'd been running Altiverb under Rosetta within DP Native up until Apple Silicon Native Altiverb 8 was (finally!) released a few days ago.

With DP, a few plugins had to be first instantiated once while DP was set to run under Rosetta (check the box in the "Get Info " window for DP) to be recognized. Then, after a re-start, I was able to use DP Native and Rosetta Altiverb worked. This may well have been the case for WIVI.

Thanks to Aram over at Audioease for the suggestion re: run DP in Rosetta.

Hey TimBit! You could certainly try emailing them and ask, but I don't think you can buy WIVI from Wallander anymore. And I'm fairly certain if you were to purchase a used copy, you'd find that Wallander uses install protection via licensing. You might get the player working but getting the library to legitimately install ... you could hit a bad snag. It's all about the license. Best of luck to you.

Ventura 10.6 here on M1 Ultra and Macbook Pro M2.
Hey Saxor! I'd love to be able to run WIVI on my Mac Studio M2. But I need your help understanding what you're saying: You mentioned macOS Ventura but follow it with 10.6 ... isn't that like OSX Snow Leopard? What am I missing?

Sad to hear that Wivi does not work under certain Mac configurations, and happy that its creator is looking into the issue.
No problem for me who am on Windows 10 and relatively recent configuration.
I bought Wivi a little while before it was abandoned, preferring it to the Swam or Infinite solutions, and frankly I don't regret my choice.
Although it is not recent, it remains powerful and does not have to be ashamed of the competition in my opinion.
Too bad, this program didn't deserve to be forgotten.

Top Bottom