What's new

VSL Synchron: How to share projects between laptop and desktop

SomeGuy

I want to use my laptop as an idea sketching device, and then transfer my projects over to my studio system for finalizing. The goal here is to keep a lean composition system as disk space & RAM is more at a premium vs my desktop system, which means installing less mics positions on my laptop for sketching, but then have access to them all on my desktop system when it comes time to mix and finalize.

I remember hearing something in one of the videos that this is possible with VSL vienna manager, but can someone point me to specifics on how this is done?

1655854707424.png

I believe that you can choose the mics to install on the right here -- I have them all installed, but if you have none installed yet, just clicking on the mics and hit install should do the trick.

1655854707424.png

I believe that you can choose the mics to install on the right here -- I have them all installed, but if you have none installed yet, just clicking on the mics and hit install should do the trick.
Yeah I saw that which is very cool, but does this mean I need to download/install the library again on the laptop with only the mics I want, or is there a way to copy only the mics I want from my desktop install to my laptop and is the system smart enough to know what I have on each machine? I've downloaded the full libraries like you on my desktop machine, so its a matter of setting up the laptop.

I'll just do some experiments and see what happens. If this is useful I can report my findings as well.

I need to download/install the library again on the laptop with only the mics I want
That's probably the *best* way of doing it, since that way Vienna Assistant can put all of the right data into the scan database for the SY player. There are files you could copy shown here:

1655895784164.png

But you may run into issues.

That's probably the *best* way of doing it, since that way Vienna Assistant can put all of the right data into the scan database for the SY player. There are files you could copy shown here:

1655895784164.png

But you may run into issues.
I ran into major problems messing with the file structure. All I was trying to do was move part of a library to a new folder, but in the end I had to re-download and reinstall the entire thing from scratch, even though I already had it all installed to begin with. I wouldn't mess with Vienna's time structure. It looks like opaque, finicky installation managers are the future.

Hmm, I downloaded just 1 mic on main laptop, other mics on other machine and just copied mic files to the first one without any problem.

I ran into major problems messing with the file structure. All I was trying to do was move part of a library to a new folder, but in the end I had to re-download and reinstall the entire thing from scratch, even though I already had it all installed to begin with. I wouldn't mess with Vienna's time structure. It looks like opaque, finicky installation managers are the future.
You just have to re-assign the library in the Assistant after you manually moved it. In general wee recommend to use the move feature in the Assistant.

You just have to re-assign the library in the Assistant after you manually moved it. In general wee recommend to use the move feature in the Assistant.
I tried that, but it did not recognize the instruments.

I tried that, but it did not recognize the instruments.
If you already have installed a library click on the orange wrench icon on top (it appears only if a link to a library is lost). Then proceed to repair all displayed libraries via click on repair and re-assigning the path.

If you already have installed a library click on the orange wrench icon on top (it appears only if a link to a library is lost). Then proceed to repair all displayed libraries via click on repair and re-assigning the path.
I'll watch out if this comes up again. Thank you!

Top Bottom