What's new

VSL shameless "fanboyism" thread

You’re being sort of obtuse about this. Machine activation isn’t secure. If VSL uses it, their libraries will be cracked. That’s what he’s telling you, from experience. Nobody’s “gatekeeping user experience” just for the heck of it.

I know that's what he's saying.

I just did an upgrade on my desktop with a new processor, and my laptop with a new NVMe drive. And a few VSTs required me to open iLok manager back up. To prevent exactly this kind of cracked VST problem.

There are ways to make machine activated VST secure. They just have to want to do it. Just like the many other audio vendors who have done it.

I know that's what he's saying.

I just did an upgrade on my desktop with a new processor, and my laptop with a new NVMe drive. And a few VSTs required me to open iLok manager back up. To prevent exactly this kind of cracked VST problem.

There are ways to make machine activated VST secure. They just have to want to do it. Just like the many other audio vendors who have done it.

VSL libraries have higher costs/prices than many due to their huge sample sets and intensive QC. So the incentives to crack are different across vendors. You’re still not seeing the forest here.

VSL libraries have higher costs/prices than many due to their huge sample sets and intensive QC. So the incentives to crack are different across vendors. You’re still not seeing the forest here.

And you're not listening. A machine activation set up that is required to check with the cloud whenever there is a hardware change is not significantly more likely to be cracked, then the one that requires that it check the cloud every time you use the software.

But hey. If you guys want to just buy what VSL is selling you as to why they won't do it, that's up to you. But for anybody who would prefer machine-based licensing, don't just buy into a company's public statement about why they won't do something. This attitude about dongles and cloud-based licensing only is so 2010. Meanwhile, plenty of vendors have moved beyond that.

And you're not listening.

At this point, not for much longer. Because your premises don’t justify your conclusions.
I’m open to being convinced of this dubious idea that someone interested in a crack wouldn’t simply redownload and reinstall a crack, but that would require evidence of vendor experience with this. Can you offer any specific examples of verifiably non-cracked, expensive libraries that use iLok machine activation?

Last edited:
Can you offer any specific examples of verifiably non-cracked, expensive libraries that use machine activation?
And I would actually narrow that question down to iLok machine activation, because iLok is particularly targeted due to how popular it is. More rare or vendor-specific machine activations may not have been cracked as easily.

And I would actually narrow that question down to iLok machine activation, because iLok is particularly targeted due to how popular it is. More rare or vendor-specific machine activations may not have been cracked as easily.
Sure. Spitfire and NI are the obvious examples, and they may have the scale to make that work for them even with cracks. Or they may not have been cracked. Let’s see evidence either way, if its available.

How come have I never had anything from this amazing company?! I've been writing for 2 decades for ...sake. haha.

I use most of what I have -- SF, OT, EW, SS, 8Dio, AI, PS, ... And in a lot of ways, VSL has opened a whole new world for me.

They are on a "roll" with those Synchron libraries. I may even get some VIs (especially the winds).

Everything is so consistently recorded and programmed, and I can't understand why there has been talks about how "perfect" and "boring" these libraries are. I need to have a word with some of my work colleagues about it. Maybe pull an ear or two. lol.

VSL is close to INSTANT GRATIFICATION. No hour-long tweaking, going under the hood to alter one of two things, ... anymore.

Keep up the good work!
Yep, you're not alone. I use and enjoy a lot of their instruments. The Synchron stuff is great.

I have the old S.E.s, at least 1-3, pts. 1. Very cool that they still work and everything has been updated for Apple Silicon. Instrument Pro, being a Midiot, I could never really get my head around. Oh, I got Harps and the convo reverb as freebies. Way out of my range to get the really good stuff. But if I find anything lacking in HOOPUS, I'll use the VSLs.

Just have to say I kind of re-discovered Synchronized Woodwinds - due to the unlooped legatos. Somehow they sound much better than the normal legatos. Did anyone else notice this?

At this point, not for much longer. Because your premises don’t justify your conclusions.
I’m open to being convinced of this dubious idea that someone interested in a crack wouldn’t simply redownload and reinstall a crack, but that would require evidence of vendor experience with this. Can you offer any specific examples of verifiably non-cracked, expensive libraries that use iLok machine activation?

How can I prove a negative?

Are you suggesting that I surf the web, spending hours searching for cracked versions of expensive libraries? And then show you all of the work that I did to try to find cracked versions?

VSL made the original claim that machine activation is too insecure. It is up to them to prove that to you, if it's important to you. The burden is not on me.

Just have to say I kind of re-discovered Synchronized Woodwinds - due to the unlooped legatos. Somehow they sound much better than the normal legatos. Did anyone else notice this?
Yep, it's hard to use regular looped legatos in other SYd instruments after playing with unlooped legatos indeed)

VSL made the original claim that machine activation is too insecure. It is up to them to prove that to you, if it's important to you. The burden is not on me.
I don’t think the burden is on VSL either - they have given their reason for not using machine activation. Can anyone prove them wrong?

Top Bottom