What's new

VSL Announcement: Moving to iLok Key / Cloud - We are live!

Just a note if someone's wondering: if there's an iLok Cloud outage, that means your project will fail to load unless you open it with all plugins offline, at least that's the case with Reaper. So, if this is a concern for you (eg. tight project deadlines) you'll probably want to stick to dongle until/if host-based authorization is allowed (most of my iLok stuff uses that instead of cloud)
That's a good point. I keep my iLok and VSL key in a dedicated hub hidden behind my monitor. I should just move everything onto the stick, it's not like I'll lose it. Then if the stick fails I can deal with that with the License Manager. Glad you mentioned that.

I need to change my signature: "If it has to be a dongle, go iLok. If you really want to make us customers happy, PreSonus login method".

You know, just to be a noodge. :grin:

if there's an iLok Cloud outage, that means your project will fail to load unless you open it with all plugins offline
So, for users of single machines a physical key may be preferable.

I see you need a coverage insurance, unless you want to wait a long time for having your licenses back. But I can't find the price. Does anybody know how much the Zero Downtime insurance costs with the various options?

Paolo

So, for users of single machines a physical key may be preferable.

I see you need a coverage insurance, unless you want to wait a long time for having your licenses back. But I can't find the price. Does anybody know how much the Zero Downtime insurance costs with the various options?

Paolo
30 bucks per ilok key, just renewed mine this week.

More details here:

Agreed. I only have their Synchron-ized Woodwinds right now simply because in my head I was like "Well if I only lose one library due to a license failure, no big deal". My wallet is nervous now.
I hear ya'. I enrolled in three classes at Berklee for mixing and live sound, one per semester this year, and I now get 40% off anything I put in my cart at Orchestral Tools. Berlin everything. Yikes. I've been good so far, but...

Yikes. Seriously off topic!

I have an E-Licenser with a lot of Steinberg products, an old Korg Digital trio license and 3 Vienna licenses..I'm not seing much to get excited about here, seems more of a hastle than anything else (Steinberg supposedly wants to ditch EL as well)..it appears to be making a lot of people happy, so I'm glad for them..

I think this is a good choice by VSL! Might I suggest exploring the possibility of 2 or 3 activations per license. Many people use slave computers in their setup (including me) and I can say I mostly stopped investing in VSL libraries a long while ago (save just a couple of rando purchases) and have opted to purchase libraries I can install on my slave without a second license. So I can easily choose where to load the instrument at any given time... Allowing more than one activation, which ilok enables easily for developers who choose it, has earned my business along with software installs that allow multiple activations.
I will also point out that I always found it odd/funny/frustrating that they are THE company that provides the ability to easily offload samples playback to a network (Vienna Ensemble), but then make it difficult/ cost prohibitive to run their own libraries across other machines on said network! It seems there must be a creative way to tie in authorizations to VEP or something so additional licenses aren't required. Hopefully they will take advantage of the multi-auth ilok feature.

@Ben How many licenses do you get per library?

Spitfire allow 2 licenses one for main PC one for laptop....Orechestral Tools allow 3 machines per licence.

I will also point out that I always found it odd/funny/frustrating that they are THE company that provides the ability to easily offload samples playback to a network (Vienna Ensemble), but then make it difficult/ cost prohibitive to run their own libraries across other machines on said network! It seems there must be a creative way to tie in authorizations to VEP or something so additional licenses aren't required. Hopefully they will take advantage of the multi-auth ilok feature.
From a product development standpoint, those are two very different sets of capabilities. They're not comparable just because there's "networking" and "samples" involved.

Additionally, VSL would have to alter their offers for VEPro. Does the full set of capabilities become free for the sake of these license checks? Do they create an alternate product somewhere between Vienna Ensemble and VEPro?

No, you offload the work to someone who has already figured it out with as minimal disruption as possible for your customer base. "You used to use eLicenser; now you use iLok" sounds pretty simple. People already gripe about VSL's product list being too complicated.

Last edited:
@Ben How many licenses do you get per library?

Spitfire allow 2 licenses one for main PC one for laptop....Orechestral Tools allow 3 machines per licence.
I don't believe either of them are dongles. Most dongle libraries offer one license to use on an unlimited number of machines, but only one at a time

• CHOICE OF KEY OR CLOUD: You will be able to choose if you’d like to store your VSL licenses on the iLok hardware key or in the iLok Cloud without using a hardware key.
Cloud licensing is a game changer for me. I have avoided VSL (except for my old Opus 1 Kontakt edition) because of the dongle. Glad to see you're making this move.

From a product development standpoint, those are two very different sets of capabilities. They're not comparable just because there's "networking" and "samples" involved.

Additionally, VSL would have to alter their offers for VEPro. Does the full set of capabilities become free for the sake of these license checks? Do they create an alternate product somewhere between Vienna Ensemble and VEPro?

No, you offload the work to someone who has already figured it out with as minimal disruption as possible for your customer base. "You used to use eLicenser; now you use iLok" sounds pretty simple. People already gripe about VSL's product list being too complicated.
Yes, I was just pointing out that it was ironic to me that the company that made it easy for me to load my libraries on another machine also made it hard for me to load -their- libraries on another machine, compared to other devs. I am looking forward to this move to ilok and I hope they take advantage of the multiple authorization feature that ilok offers that I'm assuming e-licenser does not.

I wrote this to Steinberg last year and I'm sure they weren't happy about it, but I asked them why each company can't just do the PreSonus method? Username and password, that's it. It activates the local installation so you can go on your merry way. You get FIVE INSTALLS, and a dashboard on the webpage so you can deactivate whatever computer you need to. DONE.
That would be my preferred option as well. But it looks like they are dedicated to iLok dongle or cloud now, so that ship seems to have sailed. Not a big issue for me, because I am not heavily invested in VSL. Steinberg on the other hand...

And now I just realized I have zero experience with iLok Cloud. I always thought that there were 2 different ways of license management. First, the USB dongle, and second, the machine-based one (which you activate from your online iLok account to your main computer). It seems I was wrong. There are three. The following is copied-pasted from the official iLok website:
  • In the world of the iLok License Manager, a license is the asset that you have purchased or have acquired in your account. You will activate it to a location. A location is a place where you can hold an activation such as the iLok USB Smart Key, the iLok Cloud, OR your computer.
  • Activation to a computer, the iLok USB Smart Key, OR the iLok Cloud, requires an Internet connection. The iLok Cloud requires a constant Internet connection while the licensed software runs.
Many of us that have an excellent experience with machine-based license-handling through UVI, EastWest, Exponential Audio, etc., this experience reflects the machine-based activation, not the iLok Cloud one.

I just mention all this because if I was confused, maybe other people are confused as well. I see people here very happy with the dongle-free iLok option, and I am one of them (I consider iLok the best choice), I just felt it would be helpful to mention that "dongle-free" doesn't always mean "machine-based" as we know it (and love it!) from the above mentioned companies.

@Ben
Since you are in the process of making the final planning-programming-decision making, is there any chance to allow iLok Cloud Licenses of VSL libraries to be also stored in a main local machine?

It would be great if this also means demos will be more readily available. I'd really like to try Dimension Strings for myself. Maybe this was mentioned earlier, VERY SORRY if so.
Some time ago they offered demos for synchronized special editions, one of them is a bit trimmed Dimensions Strings (but big enough to get an idea if this is your thing). Maybe you can check if they can still offer demo of that one?

And as for ilok... I'm kinda indifferent but will test cloud for sure, at least till first server issues ;)

Top Bottom