What's new

VSL Announcement: Moving to iLok Key / Cloud - We are live!

Thanks - how long does it take for the eLicenser to ship?
I'm not really familiar with our shipping procedure, but if I remember correctly it will be shipped with UPS standard shipping, which should take ~4-7 business days.
If you need more detailed information, please contact my sales colleagues at [email protected]

Also, is the $20 deducted from the order automatically or is the $20 voucher only applicable to the next order?
For the next order.

Pc went up in smoke? No prob, login to License Manager on the new PC and transfer the license. License management is the #1 best feature.
AFAIK if your PC went up in smoke, those licenses would be lost forever just as if you had lost/damaged your hardware iLok.

AFAIK if your PC went up in smoke, those licenses would be lost forever just as if you had lost/damaged your hardware iLok.
No, you can ask for a licence reset from the companies you got it from. I once had a laptop crash with no possibility to recover my machine ilok licences. I asked for a reset and got everything back.

No, you can ask for a licence reset from the companies you got it from. I once had a laptop crash with no possibility to recover my machine ilok licences. I asked for a reset and got everything back.
Do all manufacturers that use iLok do that?

What about VSL?

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can just go into the iLok manager and drag the machine license to a new location (cloud, dongle, different machine).
I don't know, but if that was the case, why would UVI have this support page?

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can just go into the iLok manager and drag the machine license to a new location (cloud, dongle, different machine).
Yes but only for licences on your cloud. If they're on a lost or broken unit, you have to request a reset. That is what I did and everything went smoothly although it took a few days for some companies. That's why the zero delay thingie exists , for people in a hurry. I must say UVI and EW where very quick, though. Kudos to them.

It's been awhile since I've had an EW Composer Cloud subscription, and if I remember correctly, the license was on the Ilok Cloud, but it allowed you to work offline because it only required an online check once a month or so. I really hope VSL takes the same approach.

The ultimate scenario would to be able to have the safety of having the licenses on the cloud, without the stress of not being able to work when your internet connection fails (which still happens unfortunately from time to time)

It's been awhile since I've had an EW Composer Cloud subscription, but if I remember correctly, the license was on the Ilok Cloud, but it allowed you to work offline because it only required an online check once a month or so. I really hope VSL takes the same approach.

The ultimate scenario would to be able to have the safety of having the licenses on the cloud, without the stress of not being able to work when your internet connection fails (which still happens unfortunately from time to time)
Nope. It doesn't work like this. When your license is on the cloud, you can't use it. You have to transfer it on your computer. Takes 30 seconds. But then you can work offline. All machine ilok work this way.

Nope. It doesn't work like this. When your license is on the cloud, you can't use it. You have to transfer it on your computer. Takes 30 seconds. But then you can work offline. All machine ilok work this way.
Yes, it was that way with EW CC. But if my internet went down, I could still use the libraries.

I just realized that doesn't solve the problem if your computer dies. I think with a little thought that they could work this out.

Very happy to hear this news, will simplify things on my end for sure. Will definitely be revisiting some of the recent VSL offerings again in the coming months. :)

Seems there may be some confusion on how the various iLok options work. You basically have 3 options, and it is up to each company/developer to choose which options they want to support:

(1) Dongle -> Self-explanatory

(2) Machine -> You transfer the licence onto your machine, probably tied to the harddrive in some way. So if the HD or computer dies, as far as I know, you have to go to each individual developer and ask for new licenses. Sounds like a massive PITA so I never use this option. Good to hear that others have had painless experiences with developers getting this sorted. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable taking that risk though. It is up to each developer whether or not to issue replacement licenses on a case-by-case basis, but it will be huge pain regardless if you have a ton of licenses spanning many developers.

(3) Cloud -> License remains on iLok's servers and isn't transferred locally anywhere. According to iLok's website (https://www.paceap.com/pace-ilok-cloud.html), this does in fact require continuous internet connection. Their website clearly sates "If the internet connection is lost an error message will appear after a few minutes..." So it seems like the cloud option might actually check pretty frequently. I've personally never used this option either so can't really comment on it further.

The last thing worth mentioning, is the ZDT (zero down-time) + TLC (theft/loss coverage) protection which costs $30 per year per dongle and covers all licenses on that dongle. Last I checked, this protection ONLY applies to option #1 (the dongle). Unless something has changed since I last asked about it a couple of years ago, it does NOT cover machine licenses (and is unnecessary for cloud licenses).

If you enable TLC, it basically puts 'temporary' 3-month licenses on your iLok dongle and requires you to sync to their servers any time before the 'deadline' to refresh them for another 3mo. This allows iLok to immediately issue you new licenses without contacting any developers if you lose or have your iLok stolen since those old licenses are guaranteed to expire. I beleive it is also one-time use. I.e. you'd have to buy the $30 protection again on the replacement dongle.

Apologies if people already knew all of that. I found it not clearly explained when I was new to iLok so figured I'd share in case others were confused.

Last edited:
(2) Machine -> You transfer the licence onto your machine, probably tied to the harddrive in some way. So if the HD or computer dies, as far as I know, you have to go to each individual developer and ask for new licenses. Sounds like a massive PITA so I never use this option. Good to hear that others have had painless experiences with developers getting this sorted. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable taking that risk though. It is up to each developer whether or not to issue replacement licenses on a case-by-case basis, but it will be huge pain regardless if you have a ton of licenses spanning many developers.
I guess Eastwest ILOK was machine based, so I wonder if anyone here has any experience with Eastwest as to what they did when their computer fried.

Top Bottom