What's new

Vi-control.net circa. 2005 Landing Page Had New MP3 of the Week and This Week's Spotlight MP3 - Vote to Bring it Back!

Would you like a small section somewhere which highlights member’s compositions/mockups?

• Yes

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Zedcars

Klaatu barada nikto
I was on Wayback Machine looking at Vi-Control.net from 2005 and noticed there was a small section on the left which had “New mp3 of the Week” and “This Week’s Spotlight mp3”

IMG_3428.jpeg

I wondered if there was any appetite to bring this back again? I feel it would drive more traffic/interest towards the members compositions and mockup subforum. I think this could only be a good thing. I’ve heard people complain that it’s less visited than it used to be.

Two objections I thought of were

1. Who would be the arbiter of deciding which pieces should appear there?
2. What if a user objects to this “special treatment”?

The first objection could be dealt with by a script which chooses based on likes. Or alternatively having a random selection of pieces which is just chosen by a script. You could even have a different on show up each time you log on, just a small area somewhere which could be hidden if people don’t want to see it.

The second objection could be via opt out when you post a piece of audio. Or perhaps a user preference in the forum controls?

I do understand the above may be too complex to implement. But at the very least the fact that you guys had this feature in the old days could mean a return would be at least a possibility?

Just an idea.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Darren

Cool idea!

Might also incentivize members to post more audio instead of just talking about audio :)

Frederick had a lot of ideas like this, that never really filled out. I'm not remembering this actually happening, and I doubt it lasted very long, since it would be really difficult to choose an mp3 each week.

It could be an interesting idea, but I can't even compile a newsletter of interesting topics. (I think the last one was over a year ago?) These sorts of subjective decisions, whether it be noteworthy mp3s or noteworthy forum topics, are hard. (And making a committee for it makes things even harder.)

Frederick had a lot of ideas like this, that never really filled out. I'm not remembering this actually happening, and I doubt it lasted very long, since it would be really difficult to choose an mp3 each week.

It could be an interesting idea, but I can't even compile a newsletter of interesting topics. (I think the last one was over a year ago?) These sorts of subjective decisions, whether it be noteworthy mp3s or noteworthy forum topics, are hard. (And making a committee for it makes things even harder.)
Ok, thanks Mike. That makes sense.

Top Bottom