What's new

Uvi Vault 3 / V collection 8

A question regarding Pigments 2.

Is it stable like vst and is it not too cpu hungry?

Unless I am mistaken, I seem to have consulted articles on this.

If you're a preset devourer AND if money is no object, then Vintage Vault 3 + Falcon 2 seems like the natural choice. It IS less CPU-intensive. Every sound is completely authentic out of the box, no tweaking required. You can still do *some* shaping and tweaking in Falcon.

But I just want to point out that, even with sales, VV3 + Falcon 2 is almost 2x the cost of Arturia when it goes on sale.

Arturia also has a couple of really nice features that the UVI software doesn't -- excellent out of the box hardware integration for live tweaking (plays nicely with Maschine, as well as Arturia's own Keystep) and the Analog Lab 4, which combines well with the former if you like presets, since it lets you browse all the presets for all the Arturia software by sonic characteristics and then tweak them on hardware.

I also think that Arturia's sound quality has improved enormously of late. Have you heard their latest revision of the Jupiter?

Thanks for your feedback.

Falcon 2 does not seem easy to handle, however.

Vault 3 is really impressive I think.

I had the V collection 6 at the time and had display issues that were never resolved.

Apart from that and a slight apprehension about cpu consumption, Arturia is not bad.

But, I wonder if the Vault 3 is more suitable for me.

Yes heard the version of Jupiter, not bad at all.

Falcon 2 does not seem easy to handle, however.

Vault 3 is really impressive I think.

I had the V collection 6 at the time and had display issues that were never resolved.

Apart from that and a slight apprehension about cpu consumption, Arturia is not bad.

But, I wonder if the Vault 3 is more suitable for me.

Yes heard the version of Jupiter, not bad at all.
You don't need Falcon one bit for VV3 or any UVI instrument. 100% of everything you see about the VV3 synths in the videos can be done in the free player. You can play all the synths, tweak the sounds, add effects, and you can layer them in combis within the free player.

I've been using and enjoying UVI instruments for years, including some in VV3, long before I owned Falcon. While I certainly could supercharge all my stuff using Falcon, it's more common for me to just use Falcon with the Falcon presets, the Falcon expansions, and making my own sounds from scratch.

Finally, anybody with an NKS controller or Maschine can get templates to sort through all the VV3 instruments by category, audition sounds, and have all the knobs pre-mapped. They just need to buy the templates from (broken link removed)You won't get the light guides, though. :) The prices are all in Australian dollars, by the way.

Third party NKS presets cost more, may require paid upgrades, and may be dropped if the vendor goes out of business. They also show up in the User tab on Maschine instead of the main tab and require a certain amount of maintenance by the user (putting them in the correct folder, manually updating Maschine's browser). Finally, they lack certain features, like light guides, as you note.

I use UVI Workstation quite often and I don't think it's a great substitute for Falcon, even if you're just preset browsing. Although it is possible to browse all presets, it is not easily configured via hardware, and UVI requires users to "mount" their libraries before browsing them. Leaping from one instrument to another seamlessly, the way Analog Lab 4 does, is not really possible on UVI Workstation.

I own both and like both, and I still think that for pure preset browsing/tweaking, VV3 is probably the best choice. But there are drawbacks.

I also had plenty of UI bugs and issues with Pigments 2 on Windows with a 4K monitor.

The experience I had with support was terrible and after 2 weeks of back and forth decided to refund it.

It was my last and only Arturia buy.

I have to admit that Pigments 2 did sound good, but I hated the UI (even without the bugs).

Issues like very low DPI or low FPS rendering. See how the text renders compared to Ableton or to FabFilter ProQ3:

Or see how the plugin window was cropped and the horrible antialiasing:

One thing I do have to say is that a lot of text on certain programs--not just music ones--looks wonky on my 4K monitor. Sadly a lot of companies don't fix this.

But at least Arturia has resizeable interfaces.

One thing I do have to say is that a lot of text on certain programs--not just music ones--looks wonky on my 4K monitor. Sadly a lot of companies don't fix this.

But at least Arturia has resizeable interfaces.
I've only had scaling issues like this with Pigments.

Some old plugins like D16 or Kontakt are also low DPI but at least they work properly. Pigments 2 is somewhat recent.

I had Pigments (2) and sold it after I got Vital.
Where can I find good examples of Vital patches or tracks made exclusively with it? Is it good for other musical styles apart from EDM? The demos I've heard seem to fall into two main categories: EDM or special effects (SFX) sounds. Their website is not very explicit. Is there a manual? Curious about it. Thanks!

Where can I find good examples of Vital patches or tracks made exclusively with it? Is it good for other musical styles apart from EDM? The demos I've heard seem to fall into two main categories: EDM or special effects (SFX) sounds. Their website is not very explicit. Is there a manual? Curious about it. Thanks!
Vital can be used on any genre, but it will probably attract EDM people mostly.

It's really a very clean sounding synth with endless possibilities. It doesn't sound analog at all if that's what you're looking for.

Edit:

Once I finish my current Zebra sound design mini project I could make a couple of free cinematic presets for Vital to showcase it.

VV3, seems to me more suited to my needs.

It is also the concern of display bugs and a more consequent cpu consumption which made me hesitate with Uvi.

But as said above, I think Uvi more suited to my needs.

On the other hand, is the management of presets and organization of sounds better with Falcon than with the free player?

Top Bottom