What's new

Using Laptop as additional monitor for 2012 "cheese grater" mac pro?

Thanks but I'm not looking to capture my desktop on my macbook, but instead using the MacBook Pro as an additional 2nd monitor. I have it sitting next to me for emails and sometimes VE pro sample host etc, and thought it would be nice to put it to use in the studio as an additional monitor source as well since its right here. There use to be a program called ScreenRecycler but unfortunately it no longer works in os10.12. I also believe there are many programs out there that can turn your iPad into another display, but cant seem to find anything that works for turning your macbook into an additional display for my desktop.

Last edited:
Thanks but I'm not looking to capture my desktop on my macbook, but instead using the MacBook Pro as an additional 2nd monitor. I have it sitting next to me for emails and sometimes VE pro sample host etc, and thought it would be nice to put it to use in the studio as an additional monitor source as well since its right here. There use to be a program called ScreenRecycler but unfortunately it no longer works in os10.12. I also believe there are many programs out there that can turn your iPad into another display, but cant seem to find anything that works for turning your macbook into an additional display for my desktop.

Thought the Black Magic might let you use it as a passthrough, the only way this would be possible as far as I know. (I've looked into doing the same thing...) There used to be target display mode but for whatever reason it was limited to using an iMac as a display. The only other option for now would be to request it as a feature of macOS... https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

I'm demoing the air-display right now that I mentioned above and it seems to work REALLY well actually. Not bad for $20. Right now I have VEP on the MBP as a display. Its a little laggy over the net, but not terrible for certain things. Works in a pinch. You can use the track pad on the MBP as a remote trackpad also..which is kind of handy.

hmm, that is made by the people that made Jolly VNC, which I know to be a very good product. Its a bit more money then air-display, but might be worth it.

hmm, that is made by the people that made Jolly VNC, which I know to be a very good product. Its a bit more money then air-display, but might be worth it.
Please, report back in case you try! Would love to hear your input. Thx! :)

Top Bottom