What's new

Upgrade to LASS 3 or use $ towards Modern Scoring Strings?

SomeGuy

Doing my research now, but looking for user opinions if I should spend the money upgrading to LASS 3 (I already own the sordino legato so no new sample content), or just put that towards MSS?

I looks like the new player is much easier to use. The auto divisi feature of the new player looks great, as well as the ability to control the length of the legato transitions (especially for the portamento / gliss) and look ahead for legato is genus! So I guess it will come down to sound and comparing the articulation list, but would love to hear feedback from users if possible. Also do you feel the legato expansion for MSS is important for the library?

LASS covers my bases, so that would be my suggestion. It also has a bite akin to the old Hollywood noir movies which I haven’t found anywhere else. There is also something to be said that it has three divisi sections which aids in the real-time divisi playability, as opposed to the two divisi sections in MSS.

it has three divisi sections which aids in the real-time divisi playability, as opposed to the two divisi sections in MSS.
That's a good point but I'm not totally sure that LASS 3 does have three divisi -- I think that might be only LASS 2 ?

LASS covers my bases, so that would be my suggestion. It also has a bite akin to the old Hollywood noir movies which I haven’t found anywhere else. There is also something to be said that it has three divisi sections which aids in the real-time divisi playability, as opposed to the two divisi sections in MSS.
Very good point! I love that LASS has its own sound and really helps provide bite and character when needed. I dont often use LASS on its own, but layered with something else so the extra divisi is also great as I can choose between half or quarter section size. I'm pretty sure the 3 divisi sections are still in LASS 3 as it did show them in their walkthrough video, but will have to double check as this is important to me. Do you also have MSS? Or just dont see a need owning Lass 3?

I have both LASS3 and MSS. If you love the sound of LASS as is then an upgrade certainly makes sense. However I find MSS easier to blend with other string libraries. It also has a lot of options and articulations that LASS doesn't have. Runs, the ostinato patches etc. Depends on what you write some of these extras might be worth it.

I don't have the legato expansion, I considered that too but I never found that I really needed that. It's also because the extra flavors in sound that it covers feel not distinguished enough. For legato sordinos I might use the one from LASS, for sul pont/sul tasto I rather reach for some Spitfire articulation, even without legato, the MSS expansion sounds here are just not sul tasto/sul pont-y enough.
Another reason for not getting it is because it does not come with the equivalent short articulations.

Last edited:
At this point in time, if I had Lass 2.5 I would go to MSS.

Lass 2.5 and Lass 3 don’t sound exactly the same, but so so close. Lass 3 is maybe a bit smoother ? Having gone through the trouble to set Lass 3 up, I’ll probably eventually retire 2.5, but there are some adjustments to make.

There are some things I prefer in 2.5, like the way you could set up the layout using the ark, but I am really looking forward to using the filter as a low pass, since this could help carve out a performance even further when you want to soften things up. I also really really like the tighten control, since you can play around with the shorts way more than before. I’ll use this alot, especially on a fader. It’s like having way more short options that just one stac and one spic. Together with the filter, you can get alot of variance you never had in V2.5.

Ok, I think I changed my mind, get v3 and get MSS too if you can.

Thank you for sharing your real world experience wunderhorn & dgburns. Even though there are walkthrough videos it’s so difficult to know what a library is really like without using it, so I truly appreciate your replies! Either way the new engine looks fantastic, so I need to really immerse myself in the differences between the two libraries and see if its worth the extra cost.

Are the MSS glisses similar or even better than the lass ones? These are so useful in lass - surprised more string libs don’t offer this articulation! Thinking the speed control will add even more functionality.

Last edited:
I have both LASS3 and MSS. If you love the sound of LASS as is then an upgrade certainly makes sense. However I find MSS easier to blend with other string libraries. It also has a lot of options and articulations that LASS doesn't have. Runs, the ostinato patches etc. Depends on what you write some of these extras might be worth it.
When you say the ostinato patches, do mean the ostinato tool? Because this is included in LASS 3:
but perhaps you are referring to something else?

Also thank you for your feedback on the Legato Expansion for MSS. Would love to hear from other users if they actually find it a worth while addition?

When you say the ostinato patches, do mean the ostinato tool? Because this is included in LASS 3:
but perhaps you are referring to something else?

Also thank you for your feedback on the Legato Expansion for MSS. Would love to hear from other users if they actually find it a worth while addition?

No, MSS has an interval ostinato articulation that is unique, I have not seen such a thing in any other string library. The runs are also very useful.

No, MSS has an interval ostinato articulation that is unique, I have not seen such a thing in any other string library. The runs are also very useful.
Oh Ok. I'll have to see if I can find a video on this feature.

Edit: yeah watched and this must be what you are talking about. Sounds really good to my ears:

Last edited:

I don't have the legato expansion, I considered that too but I never found that I really needed that. It's also because the extra flavors in sound that it covers feel not distinguished enough. For legato sordinos I might use the one from LASS, for sul pont/sul tasto I rather reach for some Spitfire articulation, even without legato, the MSS expansion sounds here are just not sul tasto/sul pont-y enough.
Another reason for not getting it is because it does not come with the equivalent short articulations.
The sordinos are very different from the LASS ones so it's at least not redundant. I've never heard sampled sordino like MSS. It's tight and very tense, in a good way in my opinion, but not at all the same beautiful expression like LASS. The sul pont is indeed very subtle. The sul tasto sounds fantastic to me and just breathes life, but it's only one dynamic layer. I was still surprised how good it could sound in a piece but probably just short sections where you don't notice the limited dynamic.

Totally understand why a lot of people skip the expansion

Last edited:
Top Bottom