What's new

Unwanted "woosh" noise in NI Noire Piano!

R2Etude

Hello!

I'm hoping that anyone who happens to own Native Instrument's Noire piano can help me. I've submitted posts like this on both NI's community page and, iirc, Reddit. But, I have not had any luck finding a solution. Since I'm remastering a song for an EP, I feel like this is my last chance to get this song sounding right.

I wrote a song called CLYMB using NI's Noire (Pure, not Felt) piano as the main instrument, and the song starts with it on its own, making hiding my problem behind other instruments a no-go. It's played very quietly because I wanted a particular feel that a brighter, higher velocity just doesn't work for in the song. What I noticed in mixing and mastering is that there is a "woosh" sound coming from playing certain notes that just sounds awful! I don't notice it as much on studio monitors and other speakers. But, on studio headphone monitors for mastering, and ear buds for casual listening, it is VERY apparent.

Now, I know there are features of this instrument that purposely add noises, like ambient room noise, piano player noise, and things like pedal, release samples, and mechanics can also add noises. I have ALL of them turned off, and it's still there. It also doesn't seem to matter which piano preset I choose (Dark, Extra Body, Basic Pure, etc.), it's still there! I made sure to turn release samples completely off because it's actually even worse when the piano key is released.

Unfortunately, it's the best sounding piano VST I have, and others I've tried that don't have this problem just don't work. It's not the same mood, and it's the one that works best for this song. So, I have tried using EQ to isolate and reduce or remove this sound. But, the "woosh" starts at about 5khz, probably it's strongest between 5.5-6.5khz, and it continues beyond 20khz it seems. Using a low pass filter at around 5khz (even at -72db!) gets rid of it, but then the piano sounds far too muddy. To make things worse, the piano sounds better with more air when mixing and mastering, so adding a high shelf to gradually boost the high mids before the cut doesn't help it sound better. I've increased and decreased ASIO buffer size, changed bit rates (16-24), and increased sample rates as high as I can go (192000), but nothing seems to work. I've even tried just accessing the sound sample directly by going through settings in Kontakt. It's there! The last and only thing that seems to work for me is keeping the velocity at or below 60, and increase the piano's "color" nob in Kontakt to 10-15%. But, this is similar to increasing velocity to make the noise less apparent, but that sounds too bright, unfortunately.

Repro steps:
1. Open Kontakt (standalone or in your DAW).
2. Load Noire Pure in Kontakt.
3. Choose Basic Pure from the dropdown.
4. Turn off release samples. Everything else should be turned off by default.
5. Use headphones. If you can't use headphones or just plain don't hear what I hear, you may want to use EQ to add a high pass at 5khz to cut out everything but the "woosh".
6. Play F2 or F#2 as quietly as possible (between 30 and 60 velocity). F4 and F#4 are even worse if you need a better example.

There are other notes that also have this "woosh", and some that don't at all. But, F2 is where I'm most effected in this song. If anyone needs samples of the "woosh" uploaded someplace, let me know.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can only hear something akin to this noise by applying a crap-ton of compression with a fast release. But it's starting closer to 2kHz than 5kHz. I think it's the natural room reflections, maybe exacerbated by some compression at the low velocities on the original compression.

Multiband compression (or rather expansion) may be an answer here as it can let the attack through then force that 2-5kHz region down instead of having it surge up after the initial attack while leaving the rest untouched. But a lot really depends on how the source is compressed in the mix.

I can only hear something akin to this noise by applying a crap-ton of compression with a fast release. But it's starting closer to 2kHz than 5kHz. I think it's the natural room reflections, maybe exacerbated by some compression at the low velocities on the original compression.

Multiband compression (or rather expansion) may be an answer here as it can let the attack through then force that 2-5kHz region down instead of having it surge up after the initial attack while leaving the rest untouched. But a lot really depends on how the source is compressed in the mix.
I appreciate that advice, thank you. I will give it a try. I suspect I will have to play with the release time until it does what I need it to without making it sound like it was compressed.

It is still very apparent to me, especially after applying master EQ, which tends to add more air to the entire mix.

I wanted to thank you for having posted this observation, as I confronted the same thing recently. This thread was a helpful sanity check. I was being asked to remove all noises from a Noire-focused solo piano track. As you noted, Fsharp4 has a super felty burst when the note starts. Sometimes those noises are only in one speaker, as well, which makes them more distracting. And, agree that any kind of mastering EQ brought all of this forward. All noise adjustments were fully off.

In case this ever helps anyone, I ended up doing this:

(1) I split the LH and RH onto separate tracks (more or less).
(2) For some errant notes, nudging the velocity up/down (then applying a matching volume offset) entered a quieter velocity layer sample.
(3) For the LH, I set up two edit tracks with medium vs strong EQ/low pass filtering. So, I had two degrees of adjustment available, depending on the degree of sample noise. Copied worst notes over accordingly. I think I boosted the sides after this to preserve the stereo width of the original LH.
(4) Same sort of deal with the right hand, layers of filtering available, but sometimes individual notes sounded perfectly fine if I used a tonal shift of +/-8% within Noire (which I assume uses adjacent samples, tuned to match).

It wasn't quick to start but once I got these adjustment lanes lined up, I could select/copy certain pitches and it went faster. And it left a very, very pure piano sound in the end.

Not sure if related but in this line of pianos (giant included), enabling resonances and stuff like half pedal and repedalling produces whooshes and sudden bursts of ear damaging noises at times, completely randomly. Using the regular pedal got rid of these for me.

Saw this post and had a bit of a play this morning.

Using the basic pure patch out of the box doesn’t seem to be a problem. Also, it didn’t really jump out at me until I started applying upward compression. And I mean pretty harsh… as in… I can’t think of a use case in which I would compress that much because all the life and character was gone by then anyway. (Not to say that’s wrong as I am a fan of compressing the living sh*t out of things to get new textures from time to time). I found if you move to color knob to soft, and decrease the dynamic range it gets much worse.

I want to agree with one of the posts above that it could room resonance or possibly something in the piano because it gets worse the closer you get to F in almost all octaves. C2 and A1 being pretty bad offenders as well. But… it could be the preamp or mic used as well… I say this because the noise remains pretty consistent in a spectrogram on all keys that it noticeable.

Thank you, everyone. No matter what I tried, I could not get a satisfactory sound, so I ended up just leaving the noise in the final mix.

Top Bottom