What's new

U-he Repro-1 Synth / Repro 5 Preview

synthpunk

Repro-1 Public Beta & Intro Price

We are excited, buzzing even, and it is not from coffee. Our latest synth—Repro-1—is now in public beta. We invite you to download, test and help us get it ready for final release.

Repro-1 is an respectful emulation of a specific vintage monosynth, many of you will easily guess it’s genealogy. A classic certainly, but also close to Urs’ heart as one of the first synths from his youth. So, we wanted to get it right.

We spent the last months analysing hardware, discussing filter algorithms, coding, debugging, re-designing concepts… then repeating the process. All to faithfully recreate all the personality, quirks and raw power of the original. Five years ago Diva became an icon for analogue modelling, Repro-1 aims to do it again.

More information about Repro-1 and download links are https://u-he.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4d7100e46c7b91d65c2a4955f&id=70177dd284&e=8ea11e66a4 (available at our forum).

This sounds great! I don't need it, but I am probably going to buy it.

I have often heard "synth guys" say that in the software world, the U-he engine is more pristine than the competition, which is why Zebra, Diva et al are so highly regarded. In going back and forth with similar sounds between this, Arturia Moog Modular, and Logic Pro's Retro Synth, I think I am hearing that.

Depends on your sound card, and whether your speakers are plugged-in, Jay. If they're not, you may, like me, still hear amazing sounds, but it might be your stomach growling (Dubstep) or your nervous system humming (Minimal Techno).

Depends on your sound card, and whether your speakers are plugged-in, Jay. If they're not, you may, like me, still hear amazing sounds, but it might be your stomach growling (Dubstep) or your nervous system humming (Minimal Techno).

:) OK, who wants to sell me Diva?

Jay don't blame me for your EDM stage of life! :grin:

Zebra HZ may also be up your alley. Zebra with Diva filters and a free upgrade to Zebra 3 when it comes out. Zebra may be more cinematic sounding in places, But Diva is lovely.

Don't count out the free u-he plugins also. Great learning steps at no cost. Podolski, Tyrell N6, Zebralette, Beatzille.

I am always amazed how well the U-he stuff fits in the mix. That may indeed come down to coding & psychoacoustics, but deep down inside I think its Uhe's passion.

Ned, that TUC (The Unshushable Coktor (TUC) is a great addition at U-he as well.

Last edited:
That's not how U-He roll, Jay: you have to send an old hardware synthesizer to their German synth-melt factory, where they will use alchemy (not the plugin) to transform it into bits, and then a DIVA cast will be formed, ready to accept the red-hot synth liquid. 48 hours later, you'll have a personalized DIVA.

Is that where all my hardware has gone ? No wonder my room is almost empty now :P

Ned is not far off, U-he used to have a trade in discount if you sent them proof you sold/retired a analog synth they would give you a discount on Diva I believe, but I am not seeing there anymore ?

Last edited:
That's not how U-He roll, Jay: you have to send an old hardware synthesizer to their German synth-melt factory, where they will use alchemy (not the plugin) to transform it into bits, and then a DIVA cast will be formed, ready to accept the red-hot synth liquid. 48 hours later, you'll have a personalized DIVA.

:)

Repro sounds incredible, indeed. ZebraHz and Bazille got me covered with synth sounds though and I'm patiently waiting for Zebra3... so I'll pass this time. But it sounds really great and has an instant 80s vibe.

Is that where all my hardware has gone ? No wonder my room is almost empty now :P

Ned is not far off, U-he used to have a trade in discount if you sent them proof you sold/retired a analog synth they would give you a discount on Diva I believe, but I am not seeing there anymore ?

https://www.u-he.com/cms/zebra2-dinosaur-crossgrade

But be careful it is your first taste at their addiction. I have bought everything they have made since then after qualifying for that crossgrade.

rsp

Jay, Zebra is a great synth and really flexible. Also not a cpu monster as is Diva. I think if you wanted to have a synth to add to your orchestrations it would be a perfect candidate. I would get the HZ version as well, which would also qualify you for a free upgrade to Zebra3 when it comes out. In a word: done.

Anyone who wants to know how Zebra sounds should check out among others, the presets done by Howard Scarr, Matt Bowdler (The Unfinished) and also those done by Joseph Hollo.

As for Repro... I have just been playing around with it. Imo, it's a hands down winner. I feel as if I have just been handed my old Sequential Pro One. I don't remember why I sold it when I did - except that I had a lot less space back then. I need to pull up some old recordings so that I can compare.

At the moment I have a few other hardware options, including a Sub37. I guess I'm old school in that I'm glad that I have my real hardware, but I may pick up Repro as well. I think many would agree that it's certainly more convenient to have things itb and in your DAW. Things like Diva and now Repro are what make that a viable choice.

Urs mentioned today that if you already own everything U-he you will receive a free Repro-1 license.

As for Repro... I have just been playing around with it. Imo, it's a hands down winner. I feel as if I have just been handed my old Sequential Pro One. I don't remember why I sold it when I did - except that I had a lot less space back then. I need to pull up some old recordings so that I can compare.

Probably because of the j wires on the keyboard failing, the knobs and switches getting ratty, or the plastic cover Wes :cool:

Last edited:
This sounds great! I don't need it, but I am probably going to buy it.

I have often heard "synth guys" say that in the software world, the U-he engine is more pristine than the competition, which is why Zebra, Diva et al are so highly regarded. In going back and forth with similar sounds between this, Arturia Moog Modular, and Logic Pro's Retro Synth, I think I am hearing that.
Jay, I don't know if it's psycho-acoustics, but I had most plug-in synth sonically fall apart and get brittle when spread across the whole spectrum on an IMAX screen. I once had the good fortune to have the Lincoln Center IMAX theatre for myself for two days... and I could try things out playing a Moog Modular against a bunch of vst's. The only thing that survived was Zebra. That was before Diva, which was partly modeled on my favorite Mini Moog that Urs still hasn't sent back :). And no, I don't get things for free from him, but he helps me out when I need a modification done to the synth on a project.

-Hz-

Jay, I don't know if it's psycho-acoustics, but I had most plug-in synth sonically fall apart and get brittle when spread across the whole spectrum on an IMAX screen. I once had the good fortune to have the Lincoln Center IMAX theatre for myself for two days... and I could try things out playing a Moog Modular against a bunch of vst's. The only thing that survived was Zebra. That was before Diva, which was partly modeled on my favorite Mini Moog that Urs still hasn't sent back :).

I'd be really interested in what is your verdict on u-He's ACE and Bazille?

And:
i'd second the statements above about Zebra/Zebra HZ...
It's an amazing synth and the comb and FM modules (as the resonator in Zebra HZ) are fantastic for making sounds that could be samples from non existing instruments.

Top Bottom