What's new

Trying to create a Soundcloud alternative

Very good idea, and very good point. I'm going to add this to my feature backlog.

Thanks a lot!

upload_2018-12-11_22-38-27.png

"Wrecking Ball by songbox"... I could have sworn that song was made by someone else...
Under what license did the original artist release it? CC-BY-ND? I doubt it, but even if that was the case, it's incorrectly attributed...

Edit: might be useful for artists if there were more detailed options to select how various credits are presented, in case they're hosting "covers" of other artist's work.

Yup - completely possible and that's, in a round about way, what I'm going to do. I've started work tonight on a new "notification preferences" section of the user account section. It'll all be tailorable in there.

Thanks!

Is it not possible to simply remove the phone number field and add email instead? That way, you can get notifications via email if you want them.

Yup - completely possible and that's, in a round about way, what I'm going to do. I've started work tonight on a new "notification preferences" section of the user account section. It'll all be tailorable in there.

Thanks!
Great - thanks! I will sign up but I will wait until the phone number requirement has been removed :)

Excellent. If it's OK with you I'll message you on here when that's done.

If I may explain why I can't just rip it out tonight: There's a lot of logic in place right now to verify the phone number exists and is valid, and also to send you out a PIN then make sure you enter the PIN etc etc. So its actually quite a big job to make this optional. But it absolutely is on the cards.

Thanks again.

Great - thanks! I will sign up but I will wait until the phone number requirement has been removed :)

Excellent. If it's OK with you I'll message you on here when that's done.

If I may explain why I can't just rip it out tonight: There's a lot of logic in place right now to verify the phone number exists and is valid, and also to send you out a PIN then make sure you enter the PIN etc etc. So its actually quite a big job to make this optional. But it absolutely is on the cards.

Thanks again.
No problem - it's all good and I can wait. It's refreshing and encouraging to see a site owner/developer respond positively to a request like this and I really hope SongBox has a bright future :2thumbs:

Well I'm a huge believer in the user experience and listening to the people who will actually use the product. Thanks so much.

No problem - it's all good and I can wait. It's refreshing and encouraging to see a site owner/developer respond positively to a request like this and I really hope SongBox has a bright future :2thumbs:

I was nervous reading this. Normally I expect to see "I tried a free account and [some bug happened here]". I'm over the moon to hear your experience was great. Is there any way I could get a link to the page it's on? Just to see it in the wild?
@SongBox https://www.coastwood.ca/2018/12/09/the-mist-covered-mountains/

I'm not blowing smoke up your ass here but that was quite a special moment for me. That's the first time I've seen a songbox embed in the wild and the music... I live 2 minutes away from Loch Lomond. I love traditional Scottish music. Amazing. Well played man.

I have the volume low on my machine just now as my family are sleeping, but it sounds really excellent. What plugins are you using there?

@SongBox https://www.coastwood.ca/2018/12/09/the-mist-covered-mountains/

What plugins are you using there?
Thanks so much for the kind words! I do love Scotland. My people hail from Cape Breton Island, which as you know is just a piece of the Highlands that floated over to Canada.
The Uillean pipes and one accordion are Ilya Effimov, a second accordion is @Polkasound's Melodious Button Box, the fiddle is Bolder Sounds Fiddle!, the low and tin whistles as well as the bodhran are from Eduardo Taliorantes's Celtic Era library, and the snares and guitars are recorded audio loops.

I'm pretty impressed man! If you listen to the "Wrecking Ball" cover on songbox, I performed/recorded/mixed all of that myself in my home studio and I was pretty pleased with it. but I could never do anything at the complexity of what you've done. I imagine a lot of the people on here will be amazing. Looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks so much for the kind words! I do love Scotland. My people hail from Cape Breton Island, which as you know is just a piece of the Highlands that floated over to Canada.
The Uillean pipes and one accordion are Ilya Effimov, a second accordion is @Polkasound's Melodious Button Box, the fiddle is Bolder Sounds Fiddle!, the low and tin whistles as well as the bodhran are from Eduardo Taliorantes's Celtic Era library, and the snares and guitars are recorded audio loops.

I'd never heard of that one (sounds like a toilet cleaner :P ) so I can't compare them.

...one might say it's 'tough on stubborn adverts'. ay ay?

It is quite a few years old but it was the first I found that worked for most cases.

Hello again everyone :) I need help.

I am naming my plans for SongBox and I have so far "lite" the is free tier.

I then have "Enthusiast", "Pro" and I'm stuck for the top tier level. I can't think of a word. Any ideas?

In summary I have three tiers and where I am now is

Enthusiast
Pro
???

I'm open to other suggestions. Really stuck here.

Cheers

Hello again everyone :) I need help.

I am naming my plans for SongBox and I have so far "lite" the is free tier.

I then have "Enthusiast", "Pro" and I'm stuck for the top tier level. I can't think of a word. Any ideas?

In summary I have three tiers and where I am now is

Enthusiast
Pro
???

I'm open to other suggestions. Really stuck here.

Cheers
Maybe "Pro" should be the top tier? Make the middle one "Intermediate" or something?

Maybe "Pro" should be the top tier? Make the middle one "Intermediate" or something?
Yeah that's something I've been playing with in my mind. Here's my thinking, the middle plan is the one that will be marked as "most popular" - and I'd quite like that to be "pro".

However I might just be getting in my own way with that mindset.

Name the last one Gods of SongBox!

Looking forward to checking out your site man, SC is just pissing me off lately.

EDIT: Does this support BBS and Xenforo hosting? Meaning can I post a link on either forum type and have a player come up or no?

Thanks. I'm surprised at how much Soundcloud have dropped the ball. I'm hearing so much bad stuff about them since I've come out of the woodwork with SongBox.

I'm not sure what you mean about your hosting question. I'll need to go and do my homework.

Cheers

ps - Gods of songbox LOL I like!

Name the last one Gods of SongBox!

Looking forward to checking out your site man, SC is just pissing me off lately.

EDIT: Does this support BBS and Xenforo hosting? Meaning can I post a link on either forum type and have a player come up or no?

Thanks. I'm surprised at how much Soundcloud have dropped the ball. I'm hearing so much bad stuff about them since I've come out of the woodwork with SongBox.

I'm not sure what you mean about your hosting question. I'll need to go and do my homework.

Cheers

ps - Gods of songbox LOL I like!

Like this.....this is a Xenforo forum, and that means I can 'embed' a SC player in here with a track, like this:

Pops up with a player, see? Can yours do that or is there a code in place that we can use to do so?

(Sorry if this is bad form, man....don't mean to be linking SC stuff in your thread)

haha no it's all good. If my software can't currently do this then I'll just make sure it does in the near future.

Like this.....this is a Xenforo forum, and that means I can 'embed' a SC player in here with a track, like this:

Pops up with a player, see? Can yours do that or is there a code in place that we can use to do so?

(Sorry if this is bad form, man....don't mean to be linking SC stuff in your thread)

Last edited:
Top Bottom