What's new

TouchOSC - Cubase 'Sees' the MIDI but doesn't record it...

polynaeus

Hey all

I recently got TouchOSC to use on my iPad in conjunction with my Cubase / Mac.

I have my iPad plugged in via USB.
My MIDI Connection 1 Send and Receive port is <Bridge 1>.
My BRIDGE Connection 1 is Host: <USB>.

I made a basic slider for CC11 in TouchOSC.

On my Mac both TouchOSC's Log and Cubase can 'see' the CC11 midi data but Cubase will not RECORD the data. See the log here...

Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 2.33.35 PM.png

The MIDI CC11 data is somehow greyed out and flat lined despite a dynamic performance I recorded in...
Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 2.32.43 PM.png

I can totally HEAR the expression working when playing it's just NOT recording the MIDI part.

Super frustrating, any help would be great!

Have you checked in the "set up midi inputs" section of Cubase

Wondering if Cubase is seeing the CC info but maybe the input port is unchecked for actually recording data to Cubase. For example, if you are using "All Midi inputs" as the midi input to your MIDI / instrument track, maybe the port you are using for TouchOSC is not included in that bundle of midi inputs?

Have you checked in the "set up midi inputs" section of Cubase

Wondering if Cubase is seeing the CC info but maybe the input port is unchecked for actually recording data to Cubase. For example, if you are using "All Midi inputs" as the midi input to your MIDI / instrument track, maybe the port you are using for TouchOSC is not included in that bundle of midi inputs?
Good thought but yeah this is checked and is active...
Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 3.37.06 PM.png

Looks like this individual has/had the same issue but no solution was posted...

Anyone else have any ideas or have ran into this issue?

I reached out to TouchOSC and no response, and I'm pretty sure Steinberg's support is non-existent.

Looks like this individual has/had the same issue but no solution was posted...
One commonality I see is touch osc bridge being used.

I've used touch osc via rtp midi between pc computers and it worked ok with cubase.

Maybe a long shot but is there any way to test it with a different type of midi connection?

This does not sound related to my issue, as you are actually seeing MIDI input in Protokol/Cubase, but there was a bug in the recent release from a few days ago where some devices were left unable to output MIDI data via USB, and Hexler knows about it and is working on a fix.

If you try it over wifi, does it record correctly in Cubase? If so, you might want to send Hexler a support request. Otherwise, check out the TouchOSC Facebook/Discord groups and see if you can find some help there.

That's interesting to note that there is a current bug. I did reach out to Hexler. No response yet.

I get the same issue wether over Wifi or USB. Though I will say when I select BROWSE under Host: and select my IP there a few IP addresses listed and sometimes they change.

I wonder if there needs to be settings set up in the Apple Utility area called 'Audio MIDI Setup'? I know there's a page called 'MIDI Network Setup'. There is nothing in there though.

Just trying to poke around anywhere! Have a job coming up soon and would love this figured out! Bought a brand new iPad just for this TouchOSC stuff.

Yeah, the current bug is really unfortunate. It sounds like it's just a matter of figuring out something in the setup process in your case, though - hopefully tomorrow you'll hear back from Hexler or get a useful pointer from Facebook/Discord.

On the IP bit, in case you need to use that for any other reasons, I've had to setup a few separate devices in Reaper so if my phone IP randomly switches, I won't have to worry about updating anything for it to work. I think there is a utility that lets you enable static IP, though. And I have no idea about the Apple Utility MIDI option - I went searching for something like that when troubleshooting but found nothing.

I've had TouchOSC working great for almost 2 years, this is the first time I've run into an issue; a temporary bug, in my case - hopefully you have a similarly consistently good experience once you get this sorted out.

They updated the iOS app on Thursday and USB is working again. WiFi was working for me on 1.3.1 USB was broken. I don't know if there is something specific to Cubase that I don't know about.

They updated the iOS app on Thursday and USB is working again. WiFi was working for me on 1.3.1 USB was broken. I don't know if there is something specific to Cubase that I don't know about.
Huh... it appears as though I am running the latest version. I have 1.3.2.205. I got my new iPad yesterday so my first version to download must have been the latest version.

I am not using Cubase but is there a MIDI filter option you can check? Maybe you have the Touch OSC bridge input active but it filters it out for record.

I am not using Cubase but is there a MIDI filter option you can check? Maybe you have the Touch OSC bridge input active but it filters it out for record.
Good question, but no, no MIDI filter is present. I confirmed this by looking at preferences in Cubase, but also my MIDI keyboard has expression and mod wheel on it and they record those CC's fine.

What happens if you unplug or disable your keyboard - try recording some modwheel data from TouchOSC then. Or perhaps Cubase's virtual MIDI mapping feature (I hope you know what I'm referring to here, it was added in 12) can pick up TouchOSC's messages and then output or re-output them?

I see you need to setup a generic remote with the iPad as an input.
Worth trying, but seems odd that you should have to do this. I did, by chance, happen to already have this set up as the touchscreen controller is partly sending commands to the generic remote to trigger Cubase shortcuts, and the other part of the controller is CC control for recording MIDI data. I would not have though it would be necessary if you were just recording MIDI data.

It seems like it's something specific to Cubase. I see you need to setup a generic remote with the iPad as an input.

Check out this post: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/touch-osc-and-cubase-pro-9.64673/post-4124957
Welp... my iPad isn't showing up here...

Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 11.24.23 PM.png

What's bizarre is as you can see in my first post in the MIDI logs the computer is receiving the CC data! So I know this thing is connected. Something just bizarre is going on here.

Went so far as to upgrade from Cubase 11 to purchasing Cubase 13 thinking that will just wipe out whatever was a potential issue there. Nope.

Annnnnny other thoughts?

So we have identified the problem, we need your ipad to show up on the network directory and then add it as a general remote with the network as midi in/out. Have you given permissions on your iPad? Can you see it on finder as a network drive when you connect it by cable?

So we have identified the problem, we need your ipad to show up on the network directory and then add it as a general remote with the network as midi in/out. Have you given permissions on your iPad? Can you see it on finder as a network drive when you connect it by cable?
I have not given my iPad permissions and not sure how? Where do I find that setting?

I cannot see the iPad on Finder.

Welp... my iPad isn't showing up here...

Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 11.24.23 PM.png

What's bizarre is as you can see in my first post in the MIDI logs the computer is receiving the CC data! So I know this thing is connected. Something just bizarre is going on here.

Went so far as to upgrade from Cubase 11 to purchasing Cubase 13 thinking that will just wipe out whatever was a potential issue there. Nope.

Annnnnny other thoughts?
Did you change "who may connect to me" to "anyone"

OK I 'Enabled' it under 'Audio Devices' in the Audio MIDI Setup and I now see it in Finder. Here are the properties for it...

Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 10.57.35 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-04-26 at 11.08.06 AM.png

I still do not see it though in the Session 1.

Top Bottom