What's new

Top 15 Most Influential Film Scores (of the Golden Age Era)

scottbuckley

https://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=4940 (https://news.turner.com/article_display. ... le_id=4940)

I'm sure we all have our favourites, but here is quite a neato list of 10 classic film scores as chosen by TCM...

-s

Not a bad list, although I'd have to put something by Jerry Goldsmith up there - probably Patton - and possibly remove 2001 (since it was tracked).

The problem is that you can't limit it to ten. Alfred Neumann, Alex North, Jerry Fielding...there are a lot of equally major composers not included.

Re: Top 15 Most Influential Film Scores

Hum ?? The list should be renamed to "top 15 most influential film scores of the golden age" era ... :)

I think they are on the right track. But I'd say Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes was hugely influential and should belong. Heck one could argue Jerry was the most influential composer in the history of film when you look at the breadth of his work.

Jaws could be on any list of scores that influenced people. As could Halloween, or Chariots of Fire for that matter.

Okay, I re-read it. First of all, a very important distinction. The article says most influential soundtracks, not scores, like the thread lists. So by this standard, I'm more than a little surprised that West Side Story or Sound of Music (both of which won slews of Oscars and had songs you still hear today) aren't on there. While the film/songs are based on a play - pre-existing material - the same would apply to 2001 or American Graffiti.

Also, when did the Golden Age Era end? Nick thinks we're still in it. Bryla thinks it ended in 1950. A friend of mine insists it ended with the 60's (Viet Nam, hippies, Color TV, R-rated movies, etc.)

Someone needs to come up with a list of the most influential scores in film history where scores such as Jaws, or one of many choices from Goldsmith would certainly belong. Or of the "Golden Age Era", assuming it ended in 1959 (???), and include scores like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Third Man, etc.

All the books on film music history I have read, I remember they all agree that the Golden Era goes from 1930 to 1950, when the studios owned the cinemas and produced movies by the meter

Top Bottom