What's new

Tinnitus

My tinnitus has been super loud for the past few weeks for seemingly no reason, it's kept me up a few nights. Yesterday night around 7pm I had a couple of handfuls of walnuts, after that the T was the quietest it's been for a long time! All night, and it's still at that level too.

I don't think my T is caused by hearing damage, as I've worn earplugs at gigs since 2014. I wonder if it's down to nutritional deficiency, and if something in walnuts helped it. Such a strange ailment.
Okay, I will start eating walnuts to see if it helps :)

I've never heard of covid vaxes aggravating tinnitus, but if that's what's happening then my suggestion is that you get checked out to find out what's causing it!

Have you checked your blood pressure?
Oh yes. The J&J Covid vaccine made my tinnitus much worse within 24 hours and hasn’t improved much in 2 years. It is a known side effect according to the audiologist I saw and the CDC.

• Wow
Reactions: tsk
My tinnitus has been super loud for the past few weeks for seemingly no reason, it's kept me up a few nights. Yesterday night around 7pm I had a couple of handfuls of walnuts, after that the T was the quietest it's been for a long time! All night, and it's still at that level too.

I don't think my T is caused by hearing damage, as I've worn earplugs at gigs since 2014. I wonder if it's down to nutritional deficiency, and if something in walnuts helped it. Such a strange ailment.
So i have fairly standard tinnitus on my left ear (sleep with fan etc), but a few times a year i'll get an even louder ringing in either my left or right ear that stays for about a week or two, with no logical explanation as to why. I really freaked out the first time, but i now know that those usually go away again. I've been taking daily magnesium supplements this year and it seems to have helped.

Oh yes. The J&J Covid vaccine made my tinnitus much worse within 24 hours and hasn’t improved much in 2 years. It is a known side effect according to the audiologist I saw and the CDC.
The director of the Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group got tinnitus soon after his second covid vaccination. He described it as life altering and said he "can only begin to estimate the number of times I just want to scream because I can't get rid of the noise or how many hours of sleep I've lost":

He is still pro vaccine but says more research is needed.

I'm all for getting vaccinated, mostly because we also run the risk of tinnitus or worse with a more severe covid infection. However, in my opinion, there may be something going on with the covid vaccine and tinnitus.

Study shows promising treatment for tinnitus:

The study, a double-blind, randomized clinical trial, recruited 99 individuals with somatic tinnitus, a form of the condition in which movements such as clenching the jaw or applying pressure to the forehead result in a noticeable change in pitch or loudness of experienced sounds. Nearly 70% of tinnitus sufferers have the somatic form.

Participants received a portable device. "The devices were programmed to present each participant's personal tinnitus spectrum, which was combined with electrical stimulation to form a bi-sensory stimulus, while maintaining participant and study team blinding."

Study participants were randomly assigned to one of two groups. The first group received bi-sensory (active) treatment first, while the second received sound-alone (control) treatment.

For the first six weeks, participants were instructed to use their devices for 30 minutes each day. The next six weeks gave participants a break from daily use, followed by six more weeks of the treatment not received in the beginning of the study.

Every week, participants completed the Tinnitus Functional Index, or TFI, and Tinnitus Handicap Inventory, or THI, which are questionnaires that measure the impact tinnitus has on individuals' lives. Participants also had their tinnitus loudness assessed during this time.

The team found that when participants received the bi-sensory treatment, they consistently reported improved quality of life, lower handicap scores and significant reductions in tinnitus loudness. However, these effects were not seen when receiving sound-only stimulation.

Further, more than 60% of participants reported significantly reduced tinnitus symptoms after the six weeks of active treatment, but not control treatment. This is consistent with an earlier study by Shore's team, which showed that the longer participants received active treatment, the greater the reduction in their tinnitus symptoms.
Full study text:
Reversing Synchronized Brain Circuits Using Targeted Auditory-Somatosensory Stimulation to Treat Phantom Percepts

It may work for you, it may not - I'm a vegan so I'm probably deficient in all kinds of things, I think it was the magnesium that did the trick. Or a placebo.
You might want to get your deficiencies checked with bloodwork and then supplement the stuff you're missing out on. You can get some very severe issues if you are lacking in certain things in your diet (any diet, not trying to be anti vegan here).

Posted earlier this week in another thread, and of course, it also belongs here.

There is now an FDA approved device that successfully treats tinnitus in 84% of patients. Here's an NPR article about it:

And a link for the device itself:

has anyone here came across/ tried this app?

sounds too good to be true..
There are some insanely positive reviews on the app store of people having their age-related high frequency loss restored and being able to "hear again".
It seems too good to be true.... but what if ....it really works?? That's huge.

It's actually reasonably priced as well, all things considered. I don't have any problems but I'm really curious if someone from vi-c tries this out.

Last edited:
There are some insanely positive reviews on the app store of people having their age-related high frequency loss restored and being able to "hear again".
It seems too good to be true.... but what if ....it really works?? That's huge.

It's actually reasonably priced as well, all things considered. I Don't have any problems but I'm really curious if someone tries this out from vi-c.

It's not that great for reviews on Android, though...2.6 (to date, from 248 reviews).

And if you 'sign up', you get a free trial:

Like you said, it would be interesting to see if someone from VI-C has tried this App.

It's not that great for reviews on Android, though...2.6 (to date, from 248 reviews).

And if you 'sign up', you get a free trial:

Like you said, it would be interesting to see if someone from VI-C has tried this App.
Ah I only looked at the ios reviews. Nevertheless- very interesting.

Though I can't help thinking that if this method really produces such results, why isn't every professional audiologist in the world jumping on it?

Did your tinnitus ever come back?

I've lost some hearing over the years due to playing live music (...like playing trombone sitting in fron of 4 screaming trumpets; standing by real loud PA speakers when set up in small clubs; years of monitoring/mixing music on both speakers or headphones; loud noises in real life, etc. etc....)

But, I discovered that some of the ringing/'ocean waves sound' in my ears has been due to different allergies that created a huge buildup of mucus behind the eardrums....creating pressure from behind the eardrum.

So, one-a-day allergy pills, nose sprays have helped immensely. (I've always had 'hay- fever', so this has helped relieve the dreaded hay-fever/grass allergies. (note: when I lived in NYC I never had any allergies!)

And, changing many things in my diet that I'm allergic to has also made a huge difference.

As in.... no more wine (sulfite allergy), no more IPA beers (too many hops...but thankfully Guinness and some stouts are fine!), cut down on sugar treats, cutting out certain types of spirits that give a headache after one small drink, and just generally staying away from any foods to which I have some kind of reaction. A trip to a medical allergist and taking an allergy test helped.

Anyways, I suggest a trip to an allergy center to get tested for any allergies in order to see if pressure behind the ears is being caused by mucus buildup.

Did your tinnitus ever come back?
It's been very quiet for months, usually around a 2/10. The baseline T is still there but as long as it's not loud I'm not bothered by it.

It was terrible during Covid, there was a week where it was so loud that I couldn't even cover it by listening to music via headphones. Maybe it's just returned to pre-pandemic volumes.

I'm still having a handful of nuts every day and keeping hydrated, that seems to be helping but your mileage may vary.

Just got a good reminder that sometimes you can do whatever to try to protect yourself and there are people that completely ignore the consequences of their actions: visited today an old house and they had 5-6 ultrasonic pest repellent devices plastered in their garden, all of them well within my audible range. I felt the pressure instantly and it's been about four hours that my tinnitus is in overdrive. They were oblivious. Hmmm.

My Tinnitus has always been quite mild. During the lockdown it started to become louder.
It wasn't constant but when it appeared it was much louder than I was used to. I started to get a large build up of wax at the same time. After lockdown I was able to get my ears cleaned out of all the wax, and there was a lot. I was told I have narrow canals and it was difficult to dislodge the wax, so I had a couple of trips before they were cleaned completely. I was using Olive Oil regularly between the visits to soften the wax and this worked. My Tinnitus was seemingly back to as before, just occasionally, and very mild/low in volume.

A couple of weeks back, it returned after a couple of years. It was loud and quite regular, also I lost volume in my hearing and the high frequencies were affected. At this time, my ears were blocked again and it was the wax problem as before. I have had the cleaning done again and I am back to very minimal nuisance levels and mostly unnoticeable. This time I was told the wax was all over the inner hair in my ears and almost certainly contributed to the Tinnitus sounding louder and more violent. So for me, it will be a case of putting Olive Oil in my ears from time to time and avoiding ear wax build up.

The funny thing was; before lockdown and for many years, I was a regular at indoor, warm water swimming pools. I like to swim underwater a lot and this might have made my ear wax soften and drop out naturally. Because of the lockdown, I stopped swimming and probably this was why my wax was building up as solid lumps. So for me, I will restart my regular swimming again - And hopefully, it will help with both my fitness and keep my Tinnitus level(s) down (as before).

Top Bottom