Thoughts on New PC Build?

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by S R Krishnan, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Ditch the Nvidia graphics card if you're not interested in gaming. They tend to add a chunk to your latency compared to AMD graphics cards. I'd guess you just want a card that will drive whatever monitors you're plugging it into.

2. igwanna

igwanna Member

Sep 28, 2018
    use the one incorporated in motherboard if its an intel. save money on ram speed and brand and graphics card, get better cpu and 64gb ram at least

Damarus and S R Krishnan like this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    This is good advice. Use onboard graphics port and skip the video card altogether.

Definitely DON'T get a Geforce / NVIDIA card for audio, since some of their drivers are a PITA on latency. They have improved their drivers, but some still cause problems.

S R Krishnan likes this.
  4. Pictus

Pictus Member

Aug 14, 2018
  5. Damarus

Damarus Active Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Where is everyone seeing Nvidia graphics cards causing latency? I've only come across one thread with synthetic benchmarks on old hardware?

6. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    If it helps, I just ran Latency Monitor and got the result below. This is on the following system:

Asus Maximus Ranger VII motherboard
    Intel i7 4790k overclocked to 4.5ghz
    32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
    Nvidia GTX 970 GPU

upload_2018-10-4_16-48-6.png upload_2018-10-4_16-48-6.png

7. igwanna

igwanna Member

Sep 28, 2018
    i dont get this latency thing. latency to which kind of output? image latency? sound latency? what?

8. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Sound latency. The Nvidia drivers are reported to add to it quite a bit.

9. URL

URL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Artic C
    How do they add, in what way do you notice, soundcard only is possible to use 256 insted of 64 in your soundcard latency settings?

10. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Hard to say for sure as I've only ever had an Nvidia card in this PC (perils of being an amateur with a gaming/audio PC) so I don't have any before and after tests. I can usually get 128 buffer and record ok with that but can't do 64 even with only a couple of tracks.

whiskers likes this.
  11. shomynik

shomynik Active Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Germany
    Mine, with gtx 750ti, was about 200 uS. Now, with amd card is about 20.

12. shomynik

shomynik Active Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Germany
    Now when I think about it, those are microseconds, right? I guess it can't be a noticable thing but only a compulsion of getting a lowest possible latency lead by this software (LatencyMon). But I don't doubt it's there. I guess these values, despite being higher than with AMD cards, are green for a reason.

URL likes this.
  13. Pictus

Pictus Member

Aug 14, 2018
  14. URL

URL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Artic C
    What is latency in this case If it meens that I can go from 128 latency in my daw to 64,what does it in tracks to make the switch, I cant really see the problem, okey the drivers... When I install my Asus grafic card based on Nvidia I only install the grafic driver, not 3D, Audio etc. for the Card, If I game I game on a other partion with all the driver installed. It would be Interesting to see the benift of switching...then I need a other grafic card....:)

15. jmauz

jmauz Member

I use a Geforce card in my main machine and if there's any latency it's not noticeable and does not affect tracking or my use of MIDI controllers. I've done sessions with up to 20 tracks recording simultaneously as well as dozens of MIDI tracks playing orchestral samples. AND I was playing to a click so if there was significant latency I would've noticed.

16. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Just because you see one guy's test and LatencyMon looks green doesn't mean "it's all ok." For one thing, they don't all turn out green -- mine certainly didn't -- and for another, why use a card that is going to be literally the worst generator of latency on your system?

Without a doubt, it's better to use the onboard graphics these days, or at least not Nvidia. The processing draw of onboard graphics, many years ago, was substantial, but today its negligible.

shomynik likes this.
  17. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

How does this fair for using 4k screens?

I need to do some more reading.

jmauz likes this.
  18. jmauz

jmauz Member

Moreover how does it fair for us using *3* 4K screens?

19. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

True. But don't forget the 1080p TV on the wall and the 1080p Touch Screen. :)

jmauz likes this.
  20. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    So they say.
    But I use triple barrel high rpm fans in 1U ATX Supermicro Chassis.
    Intake fans in the front blow air over mobs through the DIMMs and out the back.
    Loud as Hell too.