What's new

This is why music is good for your mental health, according to scientists

Alchemedia

Decomposer
Music is a key part of the balance of the mind and may be one of the greatest healing factors for our stressed-out brains and minds. But before we look at mental wellbeing, and moreover the health of our brain and the part that music may play, we must look at the evolutionary evidence which places music centrally in the development of our human brain. Why does the brain respond to music and why might music be good for our mental health and wellbeing?

https://www.classical-music.com/fea...es-listening-to-music-help-your-mental-health

Very interesting, so much info in there particularly the findings of instruments 200,000 years ago.
And then this interesting analysis of tempo and mood in music:

" Fast tempo and major mode music tend to evoke a positive/happy mood and higher arousal levels, whereas slow tempo and minor mode music evoke a more negative/sad mood and lower arousal levels."

" Fast tempo and major mode music tend to evoke a positive/happy mood and higher arousal levels, whereas slow tempo and minor mode music evoke a more negative/sad mood and lower arousal levels."
I think there are more factors important, e.g. Verdi tuning in 432 Hz, which seems to have a positive effect.

Got me interested there about that frequency and this is what I found.
Verdi is also mentioned in this article along with others, but it seems for different reasons. https://ask.audio/articles/music-theory-432-hz-tuning-separating-fact-from-fiction
Interesting article, but 432 Hz is not only esoteric nonsense ;)

this one is very interesting and aimed towards a medical, biological point of view. Who knows how many tracks I have composed in this frequency not knowing about this fact. Perhaps Ambient music is such a genre.

Personally I would be most interested in what low frequency pitches have different measurable effects on the brain. Anyone got a study for that too?

I haven't read the article yet, but this sentence strikes me as nonsense and directly contradicts findings from other studies I've heard cited in a book, where the the claim was that some "sad" music before happy music helps move through a sad mood quicker than purely happy music does. Also some of it is conditioned and "happy" music might be perceived as negative by someone who associates it with negative things and has always gravitated naturally to slower music in minor modes. If you tried to cheer me up with a happy major mode piece, I'd just get more negative, because I recoil from that kind of music. Give me something that resonates with me, and it will be much more healing.

That study design seems flawed to me, because it only compares a higher frequency tuning to a lower frequency tuning, but to validate the claim that 432 hz is "the best" there would need to be even lower frequency tunings in the sample set. And in the abstract I also see no mention of the keys the music was in and what their frequency composition was.

I believe that there are effects of certain frequencies in music, but I doubt that 432hz tunings are the most significant factor. I expect it will have something to do with lower frequencies leading to overall more relaxation and that the frequencies we should be looking at are in the frequency ranges that brainwaves are in.

I suspect that the trend in modern metal to tune guitars lower and lower has something to do with this too. Metal started on E-standard as far as I know, and now it's more than an octave lower on the extremely downtuned end. There has to be a reason why this seems to be working.

Give me something that resonates with me, and it will be much more healing.
Interesting point ... it might be an individual thing and a general rule might not exist.

I suspect that the trend in modern metal to tune guitars lower and lower has something to do with this too.
That has others reasons ... let's call it the badass factor ;)

Don't forget ... Metal is not about relaxation, but about aggression.

Top Bottom