What's new

****The Studio One Discussion Q&A Sharing tips and tricks thread****

@easyrider So far it looks good. Here's what I've already done:

This command (available through my script) "Connect Selected Channels to Bus" has a name argument and will route all selected channels (tracks) to the bus that matches this name. So this can be used in a macro, for example for routing all selected tracks into an ORCHESTRA bus.

Another nice use case is to select an instrument in the browser and run a macro (via button or key command) that automatically adds a new track, inserts the selected instrument (preset), sets the correct channel name and routes it to the predefined ORCHESTRA (or what ever) bus.

Or - as you've described - recall instruments, insert FX and send it to the right bus.

Just as a quick preview:

Some details and tests are still missing... hope I can share it soon.

Lukas,

Have you shared the command "Connect Selected Channels to Bus"?
I've read the 11 pages of this thread but couldn't find it. Sorry in advance if I missed it.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, few days ago I got Studio One Artist as a free addon to Audiobox 96 (actually I wanted to get Studio One anyways but I decided to get Audiobox bundled with Studio One - that way I have basic interface and cool DAW for less than 90$ :)).

And I do like Studio One. It's fast, rather simple and looks nice. But one thing bothers me and messes with my workflow. In Reaper whenever I double click track in certain place on the timeline the track opens in that point of my timeline (for example I have 50 bars of piano, I doubke click near bar 34 and my piano roll opens near bar 34). In Studio One it doesn't matter where I click my track - I always end up in sort of a random spot within the timeline (which looks a bit like last edited position which is nonsense to me). Anyone knows which option can bring me closer to Reaper behaviour?

This took longer than I wanted and it's slightly clunky but I've finally managed to set up S1 so I can work completely in the midi editor and navigate the different track list states with mostly single button clicks. It might look slightly confusing but I can control the track visibility and edit states without either having to do a lot of clicking or go into the arrange window. Was finding both those things taking up too much time. It's done using a combination of macros and touch portal.

View attachment Studio One - Navigation-1.mp4

Hopefully we'll get native control of the different states in the track list soon without having to do workarounds.

Any tips to eliminate timing issues when feeding MIDI data from one instrument to another?

Example: using Jamstix to generate MIDI that feeds into MODO Drums/Addictive Drums/Kontakt results in the drums being anywhere from 250-1500 ms behind during playback. This goes away if I just use the onboard samples of Jamstix and it’s the same latency no matter which program I feed into. Same thing happens if feeding MIDI from a different VI to another.

This does not happen in Reaper, but I’d prefer to not have to bounce between DAWs to render the drums.

Any ideas?

By popular demand, I made a video and showed how you can (quite quickly) create sound variation maps yourself (I used Berlin Con Sordino Strings in my example).

Art Conductor is still a great product, https://studioonetoolbox.com will still help you to convert Cubase Expression Maps... but if there's a library or just a single patch where you want to create a map or add special functionality (like switching between Subtle Vibrato and Expressive Vibrato as shown in the video), I think it's good to know it's no rocket science to do that.

I'm itching for some updates too, but lack of updates doesn't mean the software in its current state suddenly becomes unusable out of nowhere :D

Is S1 useable for film scoring? I liked the workflow but I didn't try scoring with it. I know it's lacking a video track but I really like the scratch pads and how easy it is to set up expression maps. I'm not asking if it's great at scoring, but if I can still score serious projects with it.

If only Cubase could add something similar to S1's scratch pads... This should be standard in every daw, it prevents the arrange view from becoming messy, to stack ideas aside.

Top Bottom