What's new

The Reason behind pops, clicks and crackles in your DAW workstation which in part is partially remedied by Vep7

What does this have to do with VEP?
Vep is a software tool which helps you eliminate clicks and pops in your daw locally, using only one computer, and by networking, extending the resources of the host to 1 or more slaves, when all the other factors in the host are the same. Most professionals use Vep in a networking environment to vastly increase the ability to have samples ready to play, and switch projects without the need to reload samples.

The video explains why you get pops and clicks which Vep is a software solution to.

In my experience - using VEP7 locally - using VEP very much increased the occurence of clicks and pops compared to me running my Kontakt instances in Reaper directly. I had to increase my audio device buffers significantly after going to VEP, to make it still work. So no, in my experience at least VEP was no solution to that problem at all.

I'm still going with VEP locally, because I can live with the increase of latency due to the higher buffer, but the loading and save times of projects (which drove me nuts) are waaaay better.

In my experience - using VEP7 locally - using VEP very much increased the occurence of clicks and pops compared to me running my Kontakt instances in Reaper directly. I had to increase my audio device buffers significantly after going to VEP, to make it still work. So no, in my experience at least VEP was no solution to that problem at all.

I'm still going with VEP locally, because I can live with the increase of latency due to the higher buffer, but the loading and save times of projects (which drove me nuts) are waaaay better.
I have read in other places that reaper doesn’t work that well with VEP on a single machine. I use reaper and have been considering buying VEP, so it is a bit disappointing to read of the problems using both of them on one machine.

That's interesting, are you on a mac or pc?

The video explains why you get pops and clicks which Vep is a software solution to.
[/Q

The video doesn't say the VEP is a solution to that. In fact, in the video pops and clicks are coming from elsewhere (instantiation of the limiter in his example). VEP is working throughout, with and without pops and clicks.

Different DAWs and VIs work differently with VEP, for sure. Experiment with multiprocessor settings in Kontakt and VEP - also if VEP works more efficiently with a single instance of VEP in your DAW with all VIs packed in, or a separate instance of VEP per VI.

Different DAWs and VIs work differently with VEP, for sure. Experiment with multiprocessor settings in Kontakt and VEP - also if VEP works more efficiently with a single instance of VEP in your DAW with all VIs packed in, or a separate instance of VEP per VI.
Exactly.

Yes, driver updates could be needed as well. I'm not sure what you mean by disadvantages?

I think the poster meant the increased latency due to a higher buffer, which is definitely a drawback.
Possibly, but he used the plural, disadvantages. I'll take increased latency over pops and clicks any day. Latency is only annoying when you're playing realtime at which time you can disable tracks you don't need during your playing to eliminate the latency.

Possibly, but he used the plural, disadvantages. I'll take increased latency over pops and clicks any day. Latency is only annoying when you're playing realtime at which time you can disable tracks you don't need during your playing to eliminate the latency.

If you'll take increased latency, then simply turn up the buffer in your DAW. You'll get less pops and clicks under heavy load, no VE Pro necessary.

I've used the max buffer size in my Daw and still got pops and clicks, Vep solved the problem, so it was necessary. Perhaps with a small template you can just increase the buffer size in your daw without engaging Vep, which is for simplicity, a good starting point.

Yes, one of the reasons I switched to Mac is the driver issue didn't seem to be as much as a problem. I was always looking for the latest drives for i/o devices when using windows exclusively about 12 years ago or so. I'm currently almost exclusively on macs now.

Windows in particular has a problem with pci interrupt latency on some cards. That is inherent in the interrupt driven nature of DOS and MS Windows. MacOS does not suffer from that design flaw. It can be managed in Windows by getting a better soundcard, so wolfie is not wrong in remembering that as a problem. But in recent years you seldom hear about this problem anymore so I think mainly soundcard makers are on top of it. But still with the wrong combination of pci devices you still might encounter it at some point. That is the peril of building your own PC config.

windows drivers can be written just as well as macos drivers so I dont particularly see any inherent problem with the platform but what you do see on the pc are hundreds of cheap little knock off Chinese devices that could very well have poorly written drivers while on the Mac you have much less options for cheap devices. People are either using the built in device fully supported by Apple or a high end device that most likely has good to great drivers.

As I said earlier, there is no “one thing” that will explain it all and make it simple. The cpu and other components all interact with each other in complicated ways that are difficult even for computer engineers to fully analyze much less A forum full of composers. All the pieces contribute in complex ways. One problematic piece can cause the whole system to drag its feet. That could be an underpowered cpu or could be slow hard drive or a cheap Chinese soundcard too. And it is not the same for everyone, different tasks will tax different parts of the system more.

but just remember the other components have to wait for the cpu just like the cpu has to wait for them. So a slow cpu can definitely cause everything to grind to sputtering drop out hell if you are using heavy dsp especially. If you’re streaming samples without handling dsp then your storage might be more the bottleneck but not so much with ssd honestly; and even then the ssd has to wait for the cpu sometimes also so the faster and more efficient your cpu the better.

In my view the cpu is the most vulnerable Bottleneck because of all the dsp we do in our daws and ssd’s have become quite fast and so has ram, etc. Yet we keep pushing what software can do and that requires raw cpu power.

I've used the max buffer size in my Daw and still got pops and clicks, Vep solved the problem, so it was necessary. Perhaps with a small template you can just increase the buffer size in your daw without engaging Vep, which is for simplicity, a good starting point.

vepro imposes am extremely large extra buffer on non live tracks. You have no control over it, it’s always there Regardless of the daw setting. When you’re in live mode then it will reduce it to the daw setting times the multiplier you can control. But anyway they are definitely making the buffer bigger, a lot bigger; then your daw.

which daw by the way? Cubase in mac has had a lot of problems this way for me too and vepro definitely handled the same project a lot more efficiently then cubase though steinberg improved it later

Is your degree in computer science an associate, a bachelor's, a master's, a phd? Was your focus software or hardware? Most specialize in software.

B.S.C.S.

Not that it really matters, there are gamer over clocker kids on the internet that understand this stuff just as well without having a computer sci degree. I don’t know why you brought it up, it doesn’t prove anything.

Top Bottom