What's new

The Incredible PAIN of wearing glasses and headphones!!

TheWildToad

This is my story:

I was diagnosed with terrible vision, a grim prognosis that's only getting worse as time marches on. I decided to purchase glasses some time ago, hoping to buy a few more years and go out with dignity. Despite my stoicism in the face of this terrible news, I soon encountered one of the greatest challenges in an already tragic series of events:

Wearing Full Headphones and Glasses At the Same Time.

I've decided to spread awareness of this terrible condition, one that particularly strikes members of the music community who aren't all fortunate enough to have good vision, contacts, or simply don't feel like squinting all the time. Perhaps by getting this, let's face it, uncomfortable condition out in the open (I know I'm not the only one), I can inspire someone far more intelligent than I--maybe even with the same affliction--to embark on what may be one of the most important journeys of discovery since the backscratcher: a way to comfortably wear glasses and studio headphones at the same time for more than an hour without wanting to kill yourself.

Fellow sufferers, let's end this condition before it strikes any more innocent lives!

"...long is the way
And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light"-Milton, Paradise Lost

I hear you buddy. I too was a long time sufferer of this, until I invested in a soft and fluffy pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s. Warmth and comfort like you wouldn't believe, and they have never caused pain or discomfort when used in conjunction with a pair of spectacles.
I tried the AKG q701s before these, and boy did they hurt after prolonged use... NOT SO with the DT880s! (DT990s are also very comfy)

May I ask which model of headphones is currently causing so much grief?

Good things are reported about the bluesky 2.1 system, so that might be a low cost entry into monitoring that goes a long way.

Very bad eyesight here,very strong prescription.I F@&ing hate wearing glasses !! and i was ordered off the contact lens because the hard boston lens were scarring my eyes.i hear ya bout the headphones.
my routine involves gearing up into the "harness" as it were.i've got multi cables on me for things like headphone,guitar etc etc. sometimes lav mic as well with the requisite breakout box for xlr cable on my belt.It ain't easy,especially if nature calls :shock: and you need to make a quick exit down the hall!!
i tried for a while using higher end ear buds and it worked pretty well,but don't expect headphone sound or isolation.
i'm using beyer DT 250 and they aren't bad overall.Still trying to figure out how to reduce the tethered octopus cabling that i must enslave myself in to record however :|

and wow,tried to get back into contact lens and can't see up close now because i need reading glasses,man,you just can't win...!

SONY MDR 7506. Thanks for the tip! Oh, the humanity!

Haha! I have a pair of MDR 7506s as well, and am also a glasses-wearer. I can confirm that the combination of those two items would fit well into an array of medieval torture devices.

I bought some Shure SRH840s a few years ago that are much more comfortable. :)

Have no fear Wild Toad! After you wear these long enough you'll get indentation grooves in the side of your head and everything will conform nice and snug. :) And if this sounds bad, the idea of contacts still sounds worse to me.

@dgburns - I use three pairs of glasses (reading, computer and distance) because I can't stand the idea of bi/tri-focals and not seeing the entire 30 inches of my screen.

The solution.

The Incredible PAIN of wearing glasses and headphones!!

No contact.

You know, none of this would even be a problem if we could just "jack in" like that guy in the picture through a hole in our head. I suggest we start working on that to solve this problem. It might be what some consider a "roundabout solution," but, I say, spare no expense for the sake of comfort.

Unless you're hooked on coiled wires and 19th century technology that is made for a one size fits all consumer, there's these new fangled things called IEMs, but they are tailored for your ears, instead of what Yamaha, ADK and Radio Shack tell you sounds good.
But after one of those "special" audiograms are taken that tells you what freqs' you lack (usually the 4k notch) and Voila, like magic you can listen to mixes as you walk, take a dump, anythng other than sitting.

It's tough breaking old habits, especially an ancient one where many of the worlds top pros use a brand sponsors pay them to pose with at huge consoles.

6 way drivers are the finest development made for hearing audio as well as hearing protection from these ancient, monolithic designs.
But shucks, they cost money. 0oD

Buying "headphones" of yore is like walking into a 7/11 store to get glasses to see with.
No eyes and ears are the same. Scam of the century IMHO...

I lift the arms of the glasses so that they are just above the ears. No pain then.
Yes, the glasses are at a slight angle which is not ideal but it's such a small angle that it shouldn't be a problem.

Unless you're hooked on coiled wires and 19th century technology that is made for a one size fits all consumer, there's these new fangled things called IEMs, but they are tailored for your ears, instead of what Yamaha, ADK and Radio Shack tell you sounds good.
But after one of those "special" audiograms are taken that tells you what freqs' you lack (usually the 4k notch) and Voila, like magic you can listen to mixes as you walk, take a dump, anythng other than sitting.

It's tough breaking old habits, especially an ancient one where many of the worlds top pros use a brand sponsors pay them to pose with at huge consoles.

6 way drivers are the finest development made for hearing audio as well as hearing protection from these ancient, monolithic designs.

Buying "headphones" of yore is like walking into a 7/11 store to get glasses to see with.

Apples and oranges, surely? It's no accident that a lot of people use both IEMs and high quality headphones. The idea that the latter are some sort of anachronism is pretty absurd.

I wear glasses and have never had any pain (or even mild discomfort issues) with my Beyerdynamic DT770s. See if you can try a pair out.

Apples and oranges, surely? It's no accident that a lot of people use both IEMs and high quality headphones. The idea that the latter are some sort of anachronism is pretty absurd.

Well time will tell. Too bad most folks wait to get them as a hearing saving solution after years of the damage caused by cans.
Only the most ancient of performers drags along wooden wedges, or youngstas' wanting to appear as "vintage."
12 years of JHAudio Pro's have saved me, but I had a really bad 4k notch, which regular generic cans using fancy marketing slogans and loud stage volumes caused.
I really love getting the mail while checking new mixes too. No lame ass coiled cables from the early days of Thomas Edison.....

0oD

Hm, I wear glasses and have never had any pain - the arms on my Armani specs are quite thick, so that might be why, so they don't buckle under the pressure form the ear pads.

But my AKG K 271 might also be the reason - they come with two sets of ear pads that fit over your ears, one a velvety soft cushion like texture, the other more leather like, so you can see which ones work best.

(broken link removed)

Hope that helps

In Ear Monitors are expensive, but so worth it! If you are compelled to write a post about what a pain glasses and headphones are, you are obviously serious about your life in music. IEM are not only great to have for listening with, but - oh joy! They can shut out the drone of airplanes, traffic, band-members... Peace at last! sometimes I use them to just hear myself think :)
Beyond Highly Recommended!

In Ear Monitors are expensive, but so worth it! If you are compelled to write a post about what a pain glasses and headphones are, you are obviously serious about your life in music. IEM are not only great to have for listening with, but - oh joy! They can shut out the drone of airplanes, traffic, band-members... Peace at last! sometimes I use them to just hear myself think :)

Hans, what do you use? I've tried several (admittedly not super high end) and I've hated them all with a passion, I came to believe that the pain of wearing them was only matched by the pain of their sonics - no LF, all harsh highs and mids. But if there's really good out there, I wann'em. (as a comparison, cans-wise I have Senneissher HD-25s which I love beyond all reasonable measure)

Lets hope Mr. Z does not need to use a horn in his ear to hear in the later years like Beethoven did. Having a significant other thats a audiologist, I am continuously grilled about NEVER putting ANYTHING in my ears. Even so I bet Han's could write some serious pipe organ music in the future 8)

Top Bottom