What's new

The First Omen by Mark Korven

SampleTraxx

Cutting Edge Sound Tools
I’m really enjoying “The First Omen” which has been scored by Canadian composer Mark Korven. Over the last few years, he has worked on numerous horror scores like The Witch, The Lighthouse and The Black Phone.

What sets his work apart is the use of his own invention, The Apprehension Engine. This unique tool enables him to craft dissonant soundscapes and constantly divergent tonal ideas to keep the listener unsettled.

Check out these bonus videos featuring his incredible work.

The Apprehension Engine

https://youtu.be/lzk-l8Gm0MY?si=l2FmStRV5nZEbpK2

Interview
https://youtu.be/O8rPrQ1Sx18?si=7OVgjtaFQsnPpIHD

The First Omen recording session at AIR studios in London
https://youtu.be/bggtEnk1ovo?si=42fEZIPK5wKonSNA

Love his work with Eggers. I found the black phone score incredibly pretentious in the context of the movie. (Directors fault)

Last edited:
So it's basically a disembodied hurdy gurdy with a bunch of metal doodads stuck on it?

It’s much more than that. It’s unique construction produces eerie, haunting sounds that traditional instruments struggle to replicate.
By combining unconventional resonators and an array of mechanical sound sources, this machine produces a pletora of sonic colours perfect for suspenseful and horror scores.

Love his work with Eggers. I found the black phone score incredibly pretensious in the context of the movie. (Directors fault)

I didn’t like the BlackPhone movie that much. Kidnapping is not my favourite theme. But I really enjoyed the soundtrack from the beginning main theme till the end.

It’s much more than that. It’s unique construction produces eerie, haunting sounds that traditional instruments struggle to replicate.
By combining unconventional resonators and an array of mechanical sound sources, this machine produces a pletora of sonic colours perfect for suspenseful and horror scores.

It's a hurdy gurdy with metal doodads. Maybe crazy sounding but it is what it is. He's producing sound by spinning the rosin wheel on the strings exactly like a hurdy gurdy. And he's using an Ebow on the strings, which long has been used for all sorts of haunting and crazy sounds, and he's scraping a bow on metal, which in an of itself is older than dirt as a sound source for making creepy sounds. The only thing I see in that video that's different is he combined it all in one thing so he doesn't have to run around the studio.

I have a feeling that maybe I'm older and people just don't remember Ebows and scraping metal with bows? So people think this is something groundbreaking?

It's a hurdy gurdy with metal doodads. Maybe crazy sounding but it is what it is. He's producing sound by spinning the rosin wheel on the strings exactly like a hurdy gurdy. And he's using an Ebow on the strings, which long has been used for all sorts of haunting and crazy sounds, and he's scraping a bow on metal, which in an of itself is older than dirt as a sound source for making creepy sounds. The only thing I see in that video that's different is he combined it all in one thing so he doesn't have to run around the studio.

I have a feeling that maybe I'm older and people just don't remember Ebows and scraping metal with bows? So people think this is something groundbreaking?

Man I’m old like you and I’m still using e-bow, bowing and scraping metals, but I really love that sonic machine.

It’s a bit more than just a hurdy gurdy with some metal doodads stuck to it…

- There are two contact mics inside the wooden box-like body, each with its own 1/4” output. These are what pick up the sound from the three-string hurdy-gurdy section, but the also pick up sounds from tapping the body or dragging friction mallets across it, and sounds made by bowing or striking the doodads, which include:

- Three metal rulers of differing lengths and thicknesses, two metal rods similar to car antennas, a metal clock-spring-like device, and a rosewood daxophone piece… all of which can be moved to various positions by means of removable clamps, and a dummy switch which creates clunks when operated.

- There is an exposed spring reverb with its own 1/4” in and out which can be stroked and struck, similar to an Ekdahl Moisturizer.

- There is a separate three-string electric guitar for e-bow use with a magnetic pickup that has its own 1/4” output. The strings are spaced such that e-bows can rest on the outer two strings and excite the middle string, which makes it much better than a normal guitar or lap steel for this purpose.

- It comes with an e-bow in a massive Pelican case with custom cut foam, a nice and complete professional package.

It is not cheap but it is a purpose built tool that excels at what it does and is much easier and more fun to work with than a closet full of guitars and hurdy-gurdies.

I have one.

It’s all over my score for SAW X, and will definitely be on SAW XI !!!

Top Bottom