What's new

The Developer that has impressed you this year

I think we need to give Eric @ Spectrasonics a big shout for an outstanding synth Omniphere and Omniphere.

Did not feel the need for Omisphere 2 but the sound quality in these synths is very noticeable the synth is definitely inovation.

I guess there are two sides for every thing perhaps as a business you need to stay positive and look on the bright side.

definitely Izotope are innovators with RX loudness control and RX, VocalSynth , but I never really got blown away with the latest ozone esp Neutron I just did not see that much of a difference between Alloy 2 and Neutron sure the pretty colours and great design but not sure if it would have made a bigger difference to the mix than Alloy2 or for that matter ozone 5

Perhaps some one can enlighten me:whistling:

From what I understand that was the goal, for it to be Alloy's successor. I see where you're coming from... It does have some advantages other than just being easy on the eyes though.

The ability to communicate with other instances and see relationships between them is useful for metering, but they took it a step further by letting you meter and adjust two sources from the same place. The dynamic EQ's also pretty powerful if you use the masking meter to find clashing areas to key from another instrument.

I also think some of the modules sound a lot better than Alloy's. (Alloy's exciter could be harsh and the transient shaper always sounded a little plasticky to me. That said, I use Alloy's multiband gate all the time, not happy that went. I'm also not crazy about the dynamic metering, and think the compressor could sound better...)

The part where I think they broke ground though is their use of machine learning to teach it to identify an instrument or voice and adapt to it. (This has a LOOONG way to go for sure. It's anything but flawless...) But inventing the world's first AI channel strip is a pretty bold move. And I think the way they implemented it in Neutron was thoughtful; it's approachable for someone honing their chops but totally capable as a surgical tool. (It's become popular in post production which says a lot to me... It's useful for balancing big workloads with tight deadlines...)

And like anyone else I have mixed feelings about automation. It's easy to see it as intended to disrupt... But the fact that they were bold enough to be first out of the gate took pretty big balls, and someone else would have done this if they didn't. I'd rather see it be a company like Izotope than something like LANDR whose genuinely interested in disrupting an industry... (FYI I've known a few folks who've worked there (iZotope). Virtually everyone there's a musician and they're not looking to put anyone out of work... Not to digress but people take automation to a dark place on Gearslutz... The point is they have their heart in the game...)

The short version is that Neutron's kind of like VCC in the sense that it creates a network where the plugins share info with one another, and that's how you get the most mileage out of it... You move through the mix, compare clashing elements and create space on two channels at the same time... Plus the EQ module can be used in a bunch of ways... Static and dynamic with proportional Q, and as a de-eseer or surgical multiband compressor/expander with band shelves...

As for Ozone... I felt the same way about Ozone 6. Honestly, I hated it. (And still do.) They threw away features for a shiny UI. Ozone 7 I love though. (I wasn't quick to warm up to it either.) That said IRC IV is really damn good. It's the least invasive and most dynamic limiter I've heard. I find it's really good at retaining transient detail and the top and bottom don't flatten out as much as many other limiters do. (That's subjective of course...) I like the vintage effects. They could give them a little more mojo but they're good at what they do... That said I'd like to see them restore some of the things they removed, and they're certain things about the UI that irk me...

RX6 I think they hit out of the park. They added a heap of new modules and see it heading in a really cool direction if they continue to push the multichannel editing capability.

The ability to communicate with other instances and see relationships between them is useful

Thanks for the insight @jcrosby very nice Intel on neutron, seems some good benefits there that can be used,
I also think some of the modules sound a lot better than Alloy's
Well even for this at so.e point would be worth picking it up, I guess I can hang on untill they do a no-brainer sale .
The part where I think they broke ground though is their use of machine learning to teach it to identify an instrument
Again making there mark in the industry as inovatrs pushing the mark even further.

That's great for new buyers of those products, but they never fixed the many unworkable products that they released and continue to sell and even repackage them. Hardly commendable in my eyes...

I'm actually afraid to buy anything from them now. Just don't trust them...

I'm intrigued by their prepared grand piano but it's overpriced and I'm scared of their products based upon too many negative comments.

I'm intrigued by their prepared grand piano but it's overpriced and I'm scared of their products based upon too many negative comments.
If you want prepared piano get the ircam/uvi one. A bit tedious to use, but much more versatile than any other I have tried

This year is only halfway. I think theres three that have done something interesting this year.

1. Spitfire and its concept. (The theme libraries. What a great idea).

2. Orchestral Tools (Talking about BO Inspire. Whole orchestra, top quality, low ram, low GB all in one package. Whoever got it for 245€ cant be dissppointed).

3. Sonuscore. The whole think-tank behind The Orchestra. Besides that customers service was excellent.

I have it, and while I've made some negative comments about their products, they were mostly directed towards their string products (Adagio/Anthology in particular), although the 1969 piano is awful as far as it's playability. It's lack of velocity layers and uneven response renders it useless to me. The 1990 prepared is pretty cool. It has a nice variety of interesting sounds. It also does not have a lot of velocity layers or rr's, but being that it's not a traditional piano and the sounds are prepared and quirky, it doesn't stand out to me as much. There are too many mic positions IMO. 6 to be exact. I'd way rather have 2 mic positions and more velocity layers and rr's in any VI. I do prefer it to Sonicouture's Xtended Piano as it provides more options. I like the ability to stack articulations with the 1990 and the overall variety. I have no experience with ICRAM. The 1990's price is on the high side. I picked it up on sale. If you like what you hear in the demos, you should be ok. If your unsure, maybe wait for a sale and take a chance...

The update from Virharmonic Bohemian Violin

The expansion this year from Virharmonic makes their violin the best virtual instrument I own. Can't wait for the cello expansion. I'm a moderately proficient string player and a really bad keyboard player; the Virharmonic Virtual Performers make me a better violin player on my keyboard than on my violin.

Most of all, I'm impressed with developers who take the time they need to get things right - in other words, those who do not keep releasing new products frequently but instead updates those which already have been released and wait with releasing new products until they get it right.

Top Bottom