What's new

The 8va Strings Legato Layering Challenge

ScarletJerry

I am searching for the perfect layering combination to get the sound of violins/violas and even cellos playing in octaves. I'm trying to get a silky smooth, yearning legato sound using combinations of two or more libraries. I have Albion Legacy and Loegria, Symphobia 2, and other libraries that have violin 8va patches, but none of them have the pronounced legato that I am seeking. I also have the usual suspects - Soaring Strings, Adagio Grandiose Legato, etc. I am going to be trying different combinations to find that perfect sweeping legato. Here are some reference tracks (cued up to the appropriate passage, that provide the sound that I am hoping to reproduce. Is anyone else willing to join me on this challenge?

Scarlet Jerry

From your arsenal, I would say that Soaring Strings is the best for that kind of sound. I would layer it with LASS to get more of that portamento sound.

Performance Samples have nice libraries for it as well.

That might be less to do with the libraries and more to do with the programming. Clever use of portamento and even well-timed non-legato playing with a more forceful patch (like a marcato, "strong" or "accented" sustain) can help. Notice that the legato sound in your example is not consistent note-to-note. There isn't one patch from one library that will just give you "that sound" because if a library played a slur on one note and a marcato on the next and a portamento on the next, VI-control would EXPLODE and say the inconsistency makes the library unusable--and we'd be right. Pacific might be the closest one-patch option because it has occasional portamento in the highest dynamic layer, and people complain about that endlessly.

Tl;dr, this might be more about programming than the library.

Quick edit to add that in situations like that one, libraries that let you alter the LENGTH of a portamento can be really useful, even just for layering. Earlier @Hanu_H mentioned LASS. It's perfect for layering and gives you legato, portamento, and glissando transitions, and you can control the speed of all three down to the point where they all sound like an instant legato, and lookahead would keep it on the beat.

Last edited:
Scarlett Jerry, I know this doesn't help you because these libraries aren't in your arsenal (they're not in mine either, yet!), but I'll bet Vista layered with CSS and some EQ could get close to that. Pacific on it's own, maybe.

Scarlett Jerry, I know this doesn't help you because these libraries aren't in your arsenal (they're not in mine either, yet!), but I'll bet Vista layered with CSS and some EQ could get close to that. Pacific on it's own, maybe.
I actually have Vista, Pacific, and CSS 😃. Those are some of the libraries that I have been testing as well.

Scarlet Jerry

I don’t have LASS, but I did test Adagio Agitato Sordino Legato in my blend, and it gives me some body and a nice slur as well.
Oh, OK. Well, hopefully you will be able to accomplish this with libraries you already own. I picked up the lite version. It sounds terrible OTB, but with some inspirata reverb, it can sound pretty good. With the current $99 sale I figured everybody had it by now lol. I wonder if soaring strings and 8GL could do the trick? I don’t have soaring strings. Good luck! I’m curious to see where you land. It’s a beautiful sound.

Oh, OK. Well, hopefully you will be able to accomplish this with libraries you already own. I picked up the lite version. It sounds terrible OTB, but with some inspirata reverb, it can sound pretty good. With the current $99 sale I figured everybody had it by now lol. I wonder if soaring strings and 8GL could do the trick? I don’t have soaring strings. Good luck! I’m curious to see where you land. It’s a beautiful sound.
Nice, you're on the LASS train now! I always have to mention that it sounds better at lower dynamics, boosted in volume. It reaches forte VERY fast, then rides up into ear piercing loud dynamics. Think of forte as like modeheel at 60, only going above 100 for the most brutal moments. Really does wonders for the tone. Hope you enjoy it

Nice, you're on the LASS train now! I always have to mention that it sounds better at lower dynamics, boosted in volume. It reaches forte VERY fast, then rides up into ear piercing loud dynamics. Think of forte as like modeheel at 60, only going above 100 for the most brutal moments. Really does wonders for the tone. Hope you enjoy it
Yeah, I read all about that before I picked it up. Was trying hard not to, but I am a portamento /glissando, slut. Anything that remotely reminds me of Henry Mancini, forces me to investigate unfortunately. I really hope this keeps me from having to purchase SCS. If not… I’m in trouble lol. Period

Yes, I am going to do a video and post my results for everyone.

Scarlet Jerry

Top Bottom