What's new

TENET

The divisiveness of this movie makes me more curious about it than anything else. Nolan's movies have been very hit or miss for me, so it could go either way.

I love this score. He is probably a little influenced by Meshuggah. The film itself..way to complicated.

Reactions: KEM
I love this score. He is probably a little influenced by Meshuggah. The film itself..way to complicated.

He is VERY influenced by Meshuggah, Ludwig is also a Swede and has mentioned a few times that he’s a big fan of them. Curious as to where you hear the influence...? The guitar work? All the polyrhythms going on?

He is VERY influenced by Meshuggah, Ludwig is also a Swede and has mentioned a few times that he’s a big fan of them. Curious as to where you hear the influence...? The guitar work? All the polyrhythms going on?
The synth pattern in Tenet reminds me of Bleed. And ..Yes also the polyrhythms and his use of the 8 string guitar.

Reactions: KEM
The synth pattern in Tenet reminds me of Bleed. And ..Yes also the polyrhythms and his use of the 8 string guitar.

Not only did he use an 8 string, he used the Fredrik Thordendal signature!!

I'm a Nolan fan so I bought the 4K BluRay without knowing anything about the plot. I just saw the teaser and went in blind (last year I think?). When I received it, I watched it twice in one sitting.

It's certainly not for everyone, but I loved it. The plot needs more chewing than your average blockbuster but I think it's still accesible. Certainly not as convoluted as a movie like Primer. As expected, the production is fantastic. It's a Nolan movie through and through.

As with most Nolan films, it really gets better after the first viewing. This is specially true with Tenet. It doesn't help that the volume of the dialogues is so low (even on a home theater). I had to use subtitles on the second viewing.

I loved the music. Some people here are commenting about being just a synth arpeggio or "some fx slapped in from a CD". I guess it's all about tastes and interests but, without wanting to offend anyone, this feels like someone commenting on lack of drawing in an abstract painting. I mean, it's totally respectable to not enjoy abstract art, we all have different sensibilities, but those comments are really missing the point.

Anyway, the soundtrack does have some orchestral cuts which are the weakest parts IMO. It almost feels like listening to some parts of the Inception score by Hans Zimmer.

Okay I'm 50 minutes into the movie and struggling to continue, as I'm not really enjoying it. The editing of the movie is very breathless moving constantly, with almost fragmentary exposition in-between the dialogue.

As for the music, which it is deliberately dominating, I find it okay, but to be honest it sounds like quite a lot of HZ style hybrid score. Not bad but struggle to see it as something special.

Now I am only 50 minutes in, if I stick at it maybe my opinion on both will change.

Edit:
Well I got to the end. I would say it improves with the action sequences, which plays to Nolan's strengths. The quick editing for the dialogue didn't work for me. My view on the score is the same, it is a little disappointing but standard hybrid fare. The movie is a 5/10 for me, at the 50 minute mark it was only a 2/10 so it did improve, but was still the worst Nolan for me.

Last edited:
This movie has been getting very mixed reviews, some hate it, some love it, weird to see that for a Nolan film which are usually highly acclaimed across the board.

We all know where I stand though...

I enjoyed watching Tenet.

The thing I took away from this movie - This is cinema in an aggressive format. Imagery, plot, sound etc. Everything is on steroids so to speak as a showcase of some of the extremes you can achieve with cinema playback. The film will diminish when watched at home I suspect.

I watched it in IMAX and it was a riot throughout. It is very loud and the dialogue is mixed very low. I don't really get the obsession with this combination but I suppose it is the path the filmmaker has chosen and I went along the ride. The subtitles (which I otherwise don't like) were very helpful this time. All English films in India have subtitles in the cinema.

What is astonishing is the new mixing style that has been creeping in Mr. Nolan's films. This is an astonishing film mix. I have never really listened to sound like this - shades of this are in Interstellar and Dunkirk but here the mixing has gone a bit further.

It is very difficult to build a film mix like this where the soundtrack and effects pin the movie down very strongly. In the finale, you can still hear the percussive snares over the massive and very thick sound - that is quite an achievement - something similar to when I am able to hear John Williams's music over massive effects in Star Wars but this is very different in a way. There is massive low end and still space in the center field for some sound effects to cut through. Just one of many highlights in sound effects mixing.

I think there must have been a lot of back and forth between music, sound effects and mixing. I am sure, the composer and sound designers were constantly tweaking things to get it to work in the mix. This is not a situation where you just deliver the music and work with what you have. It must have been a long and careful process.

The opening prologue is now on YouTube (edit: the official HQ clip has been taken down now) - if you watch it, you can tell how skillfully the sound design is mixed in, even though the music is very present. All of this works very differently in IMAX or ATMOS etc. because you have dedicated channels.

My only gripe with the film is that it was too loud for too long and may have been better with a little rest in the music and some dynamics in the mix - However, this is not a dig at the skill of the people involved - it is all by design.

I have enormous respect for Mr. Nolan who gives so much time and care to the music and sound departments. Many people simply don't!

Finally watched Tenet. Man, I love it!

I’ll be honest. As soon as I watched it (Blu Ray) I had to watch it again and with headphones. I watched it on a 4k tv with built in speakers and the mix was so fucking terrible. I mean, half the dialogue is completely inaudible but I will chalk that down to the TV speakers being completely horrible. Anyway, it’s a complicated film when you can’t understand what anyone is saying. 😂

On my second watch, it all made sense and I absolutely loved it. I’m in awe of how specific scenes have been film backwards instead of just reversing tape.

And honestly, I don’t understand what’s complicated for the plot? There’s a lot of detail, sure. But I didn’t find it complicated once I could hear the dialogue).

I’ve now seen it 4 times and it gets better with each watch. The music gets better each time as well. At first, I didn’t really think much of the music but if you’re gonna listen to something through horrible speakers, especially music that is so sound design heavy, then it’s always going to sound like sonic dogs brown. I actually love what he’s written for the score.

Yeah, I loved the film and will likely watch it many more times. 4 is a rookie number in these parts 😂

TENET

Finally watched Tenet. Man, I love it!

I’ll be honest. As soon as I watched it (Blu Ray) I had to watch it again and with headphones. I watched it on a 4k tv with built in speakers and the mix was so fucking terrible. I mean, half the dialogue is completely inaudible but I will chalk that down to the TV speakers being completely horrible. Anyway, it’s a complicated film when you can’t understand what anyone is saying. 😂

On my second watch, it all made sense and I absolutely loved it. I’m in awe of how specific scenes have been film backwards instead of just reversing tape.

And honestly, I don’t understand what’s complicated for the plot? There’s a lot of detail, sure. But I didn’t find it complicated once I could hear the dialogue).

I’ve now seen it 4 times and it gets better with each watch. The music gets better each time as well. At first, I didn’t really think much of the music but if you’re gonna listen to something through horrible speakers, especially music that is so sound design heavy, then it’s always going to sound like sonic dogs brown. I actually love what he’s written for the score.

Yeah, I loved the film and will likely watch it many more times. 4 is a rookie number in these parts 😂
You have to much time on your hands....Its really not worth investing into Nolans failed experiment.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

:P

Reactions: TGV
You have to much time on your hands....Its really not worth investing into Nolans failed experiment.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

:P
Well I watched it twice Boxing Day. Then watch it whilst having to be in lockdown and not in my studio so I guess it was apt to kill time using a Nolan film about time 😂

You should have been practising your scales and arpeggios....quit slacking !
This is too true. I have myself to blame for being a shit musician! 😂

At least I know my musical place in the world. Today however, I’ve been much more productive. I’ve drunk some Wine, routed everything in my studio to start Twitch streaming and now eyeing up a new bottle. Sorry, I meant plugin.

Top Bottom