What's new

Tape Emulation Plugins. Give me your experiences

wtf did I just watch

:elephant:
That's not even their best video!

To me, their videos are a a clear nod to the Skinny Puppy music videos, such as Worlock (warning: contains a fantastic dark electro-industrial song set to bloody/disturbing b-movie footage so I'm not direct linking it).

On topic: Mishby is a fantastic plugin for destroying audio. There's a sale on ADSR where you can get all 3 Freakshow Industry plugins for $30. Or you can "steal" them from Freakshow directly on their site.

I'm a huge fan of the guy behind Fuse Audio Labs... he's been a developer for the biggest names in the industry and Fuse is his "indie" project. His plugins are all extremely well-made and simply sound fantastic. Small developers like Fuse and Valhalla are doing some of my favorite work in the audio software world, and I think they're pretty exciting.
I picked up Flywheel and a few of their pre-amps. You're right, fantastic stuff.

Has anyone run across a tape plugin that will emulate varispeed, or even just running at half speed (ie an octave down). I’ve tried various experiments with existing plugins and repitching methods, and they don’t have anywhere the same oomph as the real thing.
I assume you’ve tried something like MRhythmizer or Image-Line Grossbeat or Halftime etc.? Or automating a delay?

If you have and that’s not working
any differently than normal resampling methods then you could try following with a resampling at a lower sample rate, cut it down to like 1.8khz or even lower sample rate.

Last edited:
Have not read all the thread, but today was pleasantly surprised with the quality of tape emulation in the ToneBoosters (TB) freebie Ferrox Tape Satuator.

In fact I went ahead and made a default mix chain on the 2-bus to start each of my projects based on how Graham Cochrane demoed how he starts a mix:
TB Equalizer v3
TB Compressor v3
TB Ferrox Satuator v3 (preset "very clean" is nice)

Cheers, Bill

Kiiive Audio Tapeface 3 was updated and released recently,imo it’s a very nice tape emulation.

Tapeface 3 can currently be purchased for $24.99 using the code : TAPE_2499
It’s also a free update for people that purchased Tapeface 2

Last edited:
Another vote for AudioThing's Reels, which occasionally goes on sale and can often be purchased below sticker price as a crossgrade while buying another product from their shop.

ToneBoosters released all of his v3 vst plugins for free. So now even one of my favourites ReelBus3, which was the successor to Ferox, is availble for free.

Last edited:
Pretty addictive!
Haha! Nice one.

I daren't try it, as I reckon I'd want it. And it’s unfortunately way outside the price-range that I’m currently able to spend :(

Would love to hear some examples, if you feel open to sharing.

Cheers :2thumbs:

Another great tape plug worth checking out: Neold Warble. Also made by the same guys from Black Rooster/Fuse Audio. Available through Plug in Alliance, and usually part of their constant sales. This month $49.00 If you use coupons, it's even cheaper. I do the monthly sub with PA and this is one of the plugs I instantly bought with my accumulated rewards.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/neold_warble.html

Love this thing for putting some dust, age, or grit on drums, strings, and pianos. (Acoustic and Electric) when needed. It does subtle to extreme. Still use Kramer on the 2 buss, as well as Soft Tape, and go between those two based on the project- and sometimes none at all.

Another great tape plug worth checking out: Neold Warble. Also made by the same guys from Black Rooster/Fuse Audio. Available through Plug in Alliance, and usually part of their constant sales. This month $49.00 If you use coupons, it's even cheaper. I do the monthly sub with PA and this is one of the plugs I instantly bought with my accumulated rewards.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/neold_warble.html

Love this thing for putting some dust, age, or grit on drums, strings, and pianos. (Acoustic and Electric) when needed. It does subtle to extreme. Still use Kramer on the 2 buss, as well as Soft Tape, and go between those two based on the project- and sometimes none at all.

I like to use NeOld Warble on very clean sounding virtual synths. It gives them a bit of texture that helps them blend well, as well as giving them a sense of physicality.

I haven't really used it on acoustic instruments or voice, though.

and another __ Acustica Audio _ AQUA - Taupe. Right now -64% @ Euro 89. ( from Euro 249 )
21- analog and digital tape machines.

I got an email from iZotope announcing you can purchase u-he plugins through them. I have some good tape plugins already, but anyone still really keen on Satin after all these years? (Can pick up for $64.50 at the moment)

I got an email from iZotope announcing you can purchase u-he plugins through them. I have some good tape plugins already, but anyone still really keen on Satin after all these years? (Can pick up for $64.50 at the moment)
It's great (like everything by U-He) but can be overkill if you just want to add a bit of tape saturation.

's great (like everything by U-He) but can be overkill if you just want to add a bit of tape saturation.
I sort of disagree, only in that I think the whole point of tape saturation is to add a little bit of it to everything. Satin does this easily with its group settings.

You don't want to use it the entire time you mix though, it's definitely a finishing ingredient. But you'll be pretty amazed every time you use it. I usually just use the A27 30ips setting and tweak the bias a bit.

Top Bottom