What's new

Taiko Creator

given the special I am also close to buying Taiko Creator and Shimmer Shake Strike (I was waiting for this to go on sale anyway). Very impressed with the musicality of the design,. Waiting to see if it goes on sale at JRRShop as well, as that reduces the price a little bit more, which is important to me as the AUD is crap against the USD.
If not I will most likely get them both anyway :)

Just start button. Or drag&drop a particular MIDI groove to your DAW.
Congrats for the sound and the "gui", here is an humble idea, for me the solution is a "key", because one can put it in his/her sequences and play trough grooves without having to drag Midi files, this is so much faster... "a la DM-307", in your title you create a empty Midi sequence, you insert an A#0(or else) and voila it plays trough any Midi files you change in your Kontakt instrument. I remember I gave this idea to Mike Greene and the next update of his Drums lib we had it... Just an idea :dancedance:

I honestly don't like that idea because there's no way to automate changing of MIDI files via other MIDI messages - just via mouse interaction. Since you're already operating the mouse to select a MIDI file, you can travel to top right corner to press Play. Or you don't even need to do that, because double-clicking a MIDI file automatically starts its playback :)

Continued thanks and gratitude for everyone's comments and the enthusiasm in which they're offered.

We certainly like to try and update things and add features where possible (this has been done on Shimmer Shake Strike, Riff Generation, etc...)

Lately, we've been going so far down certain programmatic paths to implement the big features, features that don't natively exist in Kontakt. But in doing so, it makes introducing what might appear to be (even to me) a small change/addition extremely difficult - and sometimes impossible.

No matter how much thought goes into these instruments, once they're in the wild we inevitably receive great ideas that didn't occur to us. But we definitely strive to lessen that gap with each release!

Thank you again so much for the suggestions and your patronage!

@chillbot Just to let you know that I've implemented "baking" the MIDI playback speed and velocity offset options into the dragged MIDI file. Needed some poking around to make it work nicely, since the way playback engine was set up expected things at normal speed always (it was the playback speed that changed, not the MIDI object itself).

In any case an update should materialize relatively soon.

Got it. Downloaded in a bit over a minute- kudos for using a host that can deliver the goods at high speed. Installed and using in under 5. Nice. Yes, the number of voices being used is a bit of a kick in the nuts. Each mic uses up to 6 voices per drum. So if you use all four mics in the mixer a single drum hit uses 24 voices. The idea is to have total control over the six drums that are being played as if they are an ensemble. You think you're hitting a single drum/sample, but the key is actually triggering 6 different samples. I thought changing the number of instruments to 1 under the DRUM GROUP CREATION SETTINGS would be a quick way to thin the herd, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Gotta dig into the manual, but in the meantime freeze and render are just a button away. Pretty great instrument.

A single mic position is triggering up to 9 samples per key (since a single "group" can contain up to 9 different sounds). On occasion more than that in case of velocity crossfades between two different velocity layer samples.

Drum Group Creation Settings are not "live" controls. You set them up, then click on dice buttons or "Create Group" to create a group of players randomized with those settings. A quick way to thin out a group is by simply soloing particular instruments from a particular group you want.

Make sure you have Kontakt's info line enabled, all controls have useful help text that shows in this info line when you hover over them. In most cases you don't need to open the manual :)

A single mic position is triggering up to 9 samples per key (since a single "group" can contain up to 9 different sounds). On occasion more than that in case of velocity crossfades between two different velocity layer samples.

Drum Group Creation Settings are not "live" controls. You set them up, then click on dice buttons or "Create Group" to create a group of players randomized with those settings. A quick way to thin out a group is by simply soloing particular instruments from a particular group you want.

Make sure you have Kontakt's info line enabled, all controls have useful help text that shows in this info line when you hover over them. In most cases you don't need to open the manual :)

Uh, I wasn't really going to open the manual. That's just something we say... and never mean! Come'on, man, you can't expect that much concentrated effort from composers! :) Yeah, I just started muting individual drums and that did the trick, at the cost of getting a smaller and smaller ensemble. The advantage being I can now write a part or have the basic idea play along without a huge CPU hit, then when I'm happy with what's there just unmute the instruments and freeze/render.

Bought! For me this is the absolutely perfect percussion library from a usability standpoint. I'm always overwhelmed with most other percussion libraries and hate having to deal with a gazillion of patches. To have access to literally everything in one patch (even the loops) is a dream come true and the fact that the sounds themselves are also top notch is the cherry on top.

Probably my favourite library release of the year. The only complaint I have is that you don't have any more percussion libraries like this. Please make more, with all sorts of other percussion instruments, I'm sure I'll get them all. :grin:

One question: is it possible to create my own loops and include them in the Midi Loops menu?

It is not impossible to create your own loops, but it's not as simple as just dropping a bunch of MIDI files in the "MIDI Files" folder. As you will see in the Library Data folder, for each MIDI file there are two additional NKA files - one containing the relative path to the MIDI file, the other one containing the total length of the MIDI file rounded to bars, in MIDI ticks. If you want to add your own MIDI files, you would need to follow the same scheme.

At this point you might as well just write in the MIDI in your DAW's piano roll...

Bought! I see @EvilDragon pop up everywhere and figured this is a great way to support all the support he provides to everyone, plus everyone's response seems very positive to the library. Look forward to using it.

Thank you to everyone!

The update is now available to download (broken link removed)

This adds the following feature:

Changes to the Speed and Velocity controls on Taiko Creator’s MIDI page are now reflected in any MIDI files that are dragged-and-dropped from the interface.

So tempting. The GAS is strong on this one.
It was too hard to resist. Done!

Oh, who am I kidding, there was no resistance. I was pretty much getting this after first looking at it in action.

Edit - I have just opened and am playing for the first time with the first patch. Holy crap! This thing sounds amazing. First thing I did was turn off the reverb (then up the voice count in Kontakt, especially for those midi grooves). It is so close, so intimate, so amazing with no added sugar (verb). I feel like there's a Taiko ensemble in my studio (and there is definitely no room for that). I'm going to have fun with this one.

Last edited:
This may not be the right place to post but has anyone compared Taiko Creator with 8dio Taiko Ensemble and Solo Taiko library? Any thoughts on the sound and use ability between these two?

You'll need to start a thread in the Sample Talk Forum for that type of discussion, it's not allowed in Commercial Announcements.

Top Bottom