What's new

Synthesizer V - Vocaloid haters might want to check this

In addition to the vocal inflections, which are highly ornamental, to sing in Gaelic (either Scots or Irish) requires consonant combinations that are quite different from other languages. Here's a few examples... male and female:

Half Scot Gaelic/half English

Half Irish/half English

Thanks for your reply!

By inflections you mean the pitch information, right (microtonality, bends, slides, etc.)? Synthesizer V can do the pitch information. I think Feng Yi's Chinese opera vocal mode might be good for sean-nós....

In addition to the vocal inflections, which are highly ornamental, to sing in Gaelic (either Scots or Irish) requires consonant combinations that are quite different from other languages. Here's a few examples... male and female:

Half Scot Gaelic/half English

Half Irish/half English

Thanks for your reply!

Well, that's a different thing, you're requesting different languagues.... the question is, how many differences in phonemes are in Gaelic respect to English.

In any case, try for free the Synthesizer Editor with the lite version of the English voices Solaria and Eleanor Forte to see if it is possible for them to sing in those languages.

Because is possible to do a melisma extending any syllabe along many notes as you want, and that's in your side! :)

Use - in notes to extend the previous syllabe.
Use + in notes to sing the next syllabe.
With a space before "+" and after "-", assuming I'm doing it right....

Attachments

• Synthesizer V - Vocaloid haters might want to check this
    Synthesizer V melisma.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 6
I’ve been trying to figure out a good workflow (any suggestions welcomed). When I use the AU plugin in Logic, I can’t seem to get any transport synchronization between Logic and SynthV. Is there a way to have the host control the transport?

Also; thanks to all the contributors in this (long!) thread - it helped me understand a huge amount about SynthV before I took the plunge and paid my money. Invaluable stuff.

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to figure out a good workflow (any suggestions welcomed). When I use the AU plugin in Logic, I can’t seem to get any transport synchronization between Logic and SynthV. Is there a way to have the host control the transport?

Also; thanks to all the contributors in this (long!) thread - it helped me understand a huge amount about SynthV before I took the plunge and paid my money. Invaluable stuff.
I normally don't have synchronization problems in Studio One - But if if I change the tempo in studio one, I have to change the tempo in Synth V too! (just above the tracks there's a tempo marker in synth V - it should be the same as in your daw)
Also when importing midi tracks (which I do a lot - composing the melody with a keyboard - exporting the midi and then importing in synth v) remember to use 'import as tracks' - or else you might have to reset the tempo again in synth v.

I normally don't have synchronization problems in Studio One - But if if I change the tempo in studio one, I have to change the tempo in Synth V too! (just above the tracks there's a tempo marker in synth V - it should be the same as in your daw)
Also when importing midi tracks (which I do a lot - composing the melody with a keyboard - exporting the midi and then importing in synth v) remember to use 'import as tracks' - or else you might have to reset the tempo again in synth v.
Ah, the tempo thing got me a couple of times. I note that if I match the host tempo in SynthV, it only pulls in the first tempo. I’ve had to add any other tempo changes manually.

I think I’ve figured out playback synchronization a bit more; if you move the playhead in Logic, it doesn’t change the SynthV playhead position until you start Logic playing. At that point SynthV will start to track Logic’s playhead.

Thanks for the hint about importing MIDI as tracks; I’ve decided that the best workflow is to create a Logic MIDI track for an entire vocal line first, and then import that whole track into SynthV, using it as one track.

Another question; if I’m reading correctly, some people are taking pitch and/or timing information from isolated vocal tracks, and using those to drive SynthV. Has anyone tried using pitch/timing from, say, a guitar track? I’m thinking of blues vocals, where the blue notes sit between a minor and a major third. Drawing manual pitch curves for these works, but it’d be easier (for a guitarist like me) to play the vocal line and have the pitch adjustments copied over to a SynthV voice.

Would any of @Hataori scripts work for that? I see them on github, but I’m not clear what output format is generated by Praat.

I've more or less finished/abandoned my first original song with Solaria. To say I'm absolutely floored by this tech would be an understatement. I've written two vocal songs in the last two weeks, and that's as many as I've written in the rest of my life. As someone who doesn't sing myself, I find it incredibly hard to write vocal charts and hear how they might be sung by a real singer. In the past, I've written charts, and had them sung by real singers, and no question, that's better, but it took me way longer to get them to the same point I'm at with this one. Anyway, lyrics by Chris Smith, everything else by me.

View attachment happyvibes0827.mp3

And by way of a process, I asked on a songwriting forum if someone could come up with words for this instrumental track.

View attachment happyvibes0731.mp3

Chris said he'd have a go, and his lyrics were a lot darker than I was expecting, but rather than ask for a re-write, I attempted to match the music to the lyrics... I'm not so great with the heavy guitar parts, so they're pretty basic. :D

The other one I'm finishing up is a really stripped back balled - just voice and piano at the moment, and for the most part, Solaria has been doing a phenomenal job. I'm just stuck on the ending, and once I get that figured out, I'll post as another example of SynthV.

I'm surprised its not getting more press as a songwriting tool. Almost everything on YouTube is a cover, with the backing ripped off the original, and Solaria being used more or less as a pitch tracker. Although I guess its linked to the history of Vocaloid in general, its a real underutilization of the technology. I'd love to see way more originals up there.

I'm surprised its not getting more press as a songwriting tool.
The general consensus here seems to be that it's much more time and cost efficient to go straight to a singer.

And if you can do that, great. It's like saying that it's better to bring in a session guitarist to nail the solo on a song instead of using a VSTi.

The answer is: yes, of course. :cool:

But for those of use without access to a singer 24/7, SynthesizerV gives you the opportunity to experiment with vocals in a way that you can't get without a singer at all hours of the day and night.

Last edited:
The general consensus here seems to be that it's much time and cost efficient to go straight to a singer.
yeah, I think it depends on the level of competency all around - you as a songwriter, the singer as a, well, a singer. I have some experience of writing for singers, and I've found it hard to get my songs sounding the way they do in my head. No question, this is down to my ability and experience (or lack thereof) as a songwriter, and somewhat, the experience (or otherwise) of the singers that I've used. I'm pretty sure the songs I've done with real singers have taken more work than this did, when you factor in the writing, the recording and the post production. Yes, the result is better, and for a commercial product, no question, necessary but for a hobbiest, this does okay.

The usage of autotune in some styles of music (urban, r&b, rap) is now very common.
Maybe Synthesizer V (glitched sounds) could be used in released songs because the listeners have become accustomed with autotune sound?

Do you have a example of Synthesizer V usage for english rap? I'm not sure it is possible now.

The usage of autotune in some styles of music (urban, r&b, rap) is now very common.
Maybe Synthesizer V (glitched sounds) could be used in released songs because the listeners have become accustomed with autotune sound?

Do you have a example of Synthesizer V usage for english rap? I'm not sure it is possible now.
Synth V AI voices do not have an "autotune" sound. They sound incredibly natural. I don't think they're well suited to non-musically pitched vocalization, such as rap.

Synth V AI voices do not have an "autotune" sound. They sound incredibly natural. I don't think they're well suited to non-musically pitched vocalization, such as rap.
Actually, you kind of can do it. Quality isn't as good, but if I use Solaria way below her normal range, and change some other parameters, you can get a sort of robotic male voice speaking.

Top Bottom