What's new

Synchron Winds or BBO Woodwind Tutti (or other options?) for Synchronized Woodwind owners wanting ensemble patches?

SomeGuy

I use and love the Synchronized Woodwinds, but lately I find myself wishing for Tutti patches for quick section writing as well as resource management. Synchronized woodwinds are great for solo instruments but lacking any real tutti sections. Looking at the Synchron Woodwinds page at VSL, I see they do include tutti sections in Synchron Winds, but I believe they are the same recordings as the BBO Woodwind Tutti package, correct? Also to make 100% sure, do both products contain actual recorded tutti's? A lot of libraries create tutti patches by stacking the individual instruments into a larger patch, which means it takes 6+ as much resources as a recorded tutti ensemble. I can always stack my own if I wanted that sound or need more control.

So for those of you who own Synchronized Woodwinds, are Synchron Winds an improvement in functionality or quality enough to purchase? Or would I be better off going with the BBO to fill this gap? Or are there other options I should consider? Got excited by Synchron Prime when I saw the brass tutti patches, but it seems there are no included woodwind versions. Again, assuming they are actual recordings and not just layered patches. Open to other developer options as well.

The original VSL VI series woodwinds also have ensemble (3 players) flutes, clarinets, oboes and bassoons. Not sure if they will ever be SYNCHRON-ized though.

From Synchron Woodwinds VSL page:
"Synchron Woodwinds features ensemble recordings that are also included in the Big Bang Orchestra Packs Neptune, Orion and Solaris. The “Tutti Woodwinds” ensemble consists of 13 instruments, from the piccolo to the contrabassoon, that are played in unison and octaves. Each of the “Woodwind Sections” consisting of flutes, oboes, clarinets in Bb and bassoons is made up of three musicians playing together in unison. The “Low FX Woodwinds” section of three contrabassoons, two bassoons, one contrabass clarinet and two bass clarinets provides dramatic fundamental lows in unison and octaves as well as in clusters. The “High FX Woodwinds” section consists of one piccolo, three flutes, two oboes and four clarinets, playing long notes in unison and octaves, as well as runs and arpeggios in a wide variety of scales and chords."

From Synchron Woodwinds VSL page:
"Synchron Woodwinds features ensemble recordings that are also included in the Big Bang Orchestra Packs Neptune, Orion and Solaris. The “Tutti Woodwinds” ensemble consists of 13 instruments, from the piccolo to the contrabassoon, that are played in unison and octaves. Each of the “Woodwind Sections” consisting of flutes, oboes, clarinets in Bb and bassoons is made up of three musicians playing together in unison. The “Low FX Woodwinds” section of three contrabassoons, two bassoons, one contrabass clarinet and two bass clarinets provides dramatic fundamental lows in unison and octaves as well as in clusters. The “High FX Woodwinds” section consists of one piccolo, three flutes, two oboes and four clarinets, playing long notes in unison and octaves, as well as runs and arpeggios in a wide variety of scales and chords."
I stand corrected :)

I was thinking of Synchron Brass (and Synchron Strings Pro too) which are stacked for the tutti patches.

Last edited:
I stand corrected :)

I was thinking of Synchron Brass (and Synchron Strings Pro too) which are stacked for the tutti patches.
Yeah, it's really hard to keep track of everything..!)) Those tutti patches are very useful btw for some quick writing, as well as Low FX and Hi FX woodwinds! :)

Yeah, it's really hard to keep track of everything..!)) Those tutti patches are very useful btw for some quick writing, as well as Low FX and Hi FX woodwinds! :)
This thread was a good excuse to load them up, they are very nice!

I think for me (the soup having simmered a bit haha) the BBO content in SB and SW are the high points rather than the unique content (single instruments etc). At the time BBO was coming out I wasn't much interested in it. I think it was the marketing that turned me off.

This thread was a good excuse to load them up, they are very nice!

I think for me (the soup having simmered a bit haha) the BBO content in SB and SW are the high points rather than the unique content (single instruments etc). At the time BBO was coming out I wasn't much interested in it. I think it was the marketing that turned me off.
Hah, actually I got drown into VSL starting from free BBO pack - so much power in this tutti orchestral patch!))) I got BBO bundle and then expanded on Synchron..!

Hah, actually I got drown into VSL starting from free BBO pack - so much power in this tutti orchestral patch!))) I got BBO bundle and then expanded on Synchron..!
I think it would have been fun to get them as they came out too. I remembering demoing Lyra and Musca, and then the woodwind ones and I was "grrrr I kind of want these". I resisted though and held out for the full Synchron libraries, but then it turns out I like BBO content of those libraries more?!! Anyway.

I think it would have been fun to get them as they came out too. I remembering demoing Lyra and Musca, and then the woodwind ones and I was "grrrr I kind of want these". I resisted though and held out for the full Synchron libraries, but then it turns out I like BBO content of those libraries more?!! Anyway.
Yeah, I also like Zodiac a lot, as well as choirs - cause they fit nicely in Synchron space..! But actually I like everything VSL I own lol))) Only Synchron Woodwinds (soloists) gave me some trouble getting used to in the beginning though..)

I also vote for BBO, all the WW dedicated ones. They have very nice room tone playing together (I even prefer them to Abbey road selections, since that big tail is distracting again, like it was in Air studios).

And that BBO volume with the high winds runs is pure fun to use.

Although I have Synchron WW, I still using VI WW
Same here. I’m using both, they serve different purpose and genres.

For tutti, I’m liking more resource friendly library for that, VSL’s tuttis are all stacked, means at least 4 mics are used, more mics leads greater voice count.

However if OP is looking for different flavor of woodwinds sound, Synchron Woodwinds is a great library to go for.

BBO Orion: https://www.vsl.co.at/BBO_Map/BBO_Orion
- Includes separate ensembles of Flutes, Oboes, Clarinets, Bassoons (all a3)
- Is completely included in Synchron Woodwinds

BBO Neptune: https://www.vsl.co.at/BBO_Map/BBO_Neptune
- Includes a large woodwind ensemble with miced instruments (13 players)

BBO Solaris: https://www.vsl.co.at/BBO_Solaris
- Includes two woodwind ensembles (high and low) playing FX and runs

Synchron Woodwinds: https://www.vsl.co.at/Synchron_Series/Synchron_Woodwinds
- Includes content of all thre libraries mentioned above (and more)

SYNCHRON-ized Single Woodwinds Package: https://www.vsl.co.at/SYzd_Woodwinds/SYzd_Single_Woodwinds_Package
- Contains separate ensembles with flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons (all a3)
- These are the SYNCHRON-ized variants of the VI woodwind ensembles (upgrade paths available)
- All instruments / ensembles of this pack are available as separate libraries. You can complete the pack at any point

SYNCHRON-ized Special Edition Vol 2: https://www.vsl.co.at/Synchronized_Special_Edition_Bundle/Synchronized_Special_Edition_Vol2
- Contains a subset of articulations of the SYNCHRON-ized Woodwind Ensembles
- Contains a lot of different isntruments as well
- Is probably not the library you should get if you expect a similar amount of articulations as with the SYNCHRON-ized Woodwinds.

All ensemble libraries mentioned here were recorded as ensembles without layering of any recordings / samples.

Thank you for your reply Ben. Maybe I'm missing something, but in my presets folder for synchronized woodwinds, I do not see any a3 patches. Attached is a picture:
Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 5.33.44 PM.jpg
SYNCHRON-ized Woodwinds and SYNCHRON-ized Single Woodwind Packs are two different products with different instruments:

Top Bottom