What's new

Synchron Bösendorfer Imperial

Yes but, as I wrote in the vsl forum months ago, it shouldn't be too difficult to automatically stretch the sample at either extremes so to avoid having missing notes (or at least allow to do it manually)... no one, I believe, is gonna move more than two semitones up or down, so the sample stretch would be barely noticeable

I'm in the midst of doing the updates just now, and noticed that the email summary does not match the instructions. I followed the instructions literally, to save you some bandwidth, and am assuming that the summary is incorrect.

Only the Mid1 (standard) and Mid2 (Extended) boxes are checked, for files to re-download and re-install.

The summary however, says "We have just optimized the Close and Mid microphone signals".

Do we need to re-install the Close Mics as well?

Finally, it's here: The Synchron Bösendorfer Imperial.
Recorded in the Synchron Stage Vienna, capturing the warm, ritch tone of this masterpiece of an instrument.
Full 8 octaves, going down to the deep C. And including all other features that you already know from our other pianos.

Get yourself an Synchron Bösendorfer Imperial here for just € 210 (reg. € 285), or with additional mics for € 395 (reg. € 540). As always, audio demos available here.

Let me know what you think about it!

Also, make sure you are subscribed to our YouTube channel, so you don't miss any news and walkthroughs. There is something special coming up soon :)

This is probably the best sounding piano to-date by any company. Yes, of course that’s my personal opinion as different cues demand different styles of tone and a completely different piano sound, but as a straight up acoustic grand I really love this piano.

Reactions: Ben
Geesh, all this build-up and I still haven't had time to use it yet, as I'm working 100+ hours a week as an unpaid software engineer. :)

I initially thought I'd just try it on new projects and a few unfinished projects, but after all this talk, I now feel impelled to audition it on all of my almost-finished (and finished but only privately released) material as well. Just when I thought I was done!
I think it's tremendous, but I don't think it's so much better than anything else as to be tempted to replace other VIs (eg Due C3, Walker, CinePiano, Piano In Blue etc) with it on finished solo tracks; rather I'm writing new stuff specifically for it. YMMV of course!

I might have posted this in reviews but thought I would share it here as well in case anyone missed it. The Imperial really is an amazing sounding instrument and the mic positions really allow you to immerse your self in the instrument.

the mic positions really allow you to immerse your self in the instrument.

For sure, something about VSL's sampling aesthetic gives me the strongest visual impression of "seeing the physical instrument right in front of you" that I've experienced with a piano library (though that doesnt necessarily outweigh a preference for other aesthetics/sonorities depending on the musical context).

Hi, what's the easiest way to make sure all the presets will have lower amount of pedal noise than the factory presets? Is there a global setting or this?

Hi, what's the easiest way to make sure all the presets will have lower amount of pedal noise than the factory presets? Is there a global setting or this?
No global setting. Just lower the pedal noise in each and save it as a custom preset.

Reactions: Vik
No global setting. Just lower the pedal noise in each and save it as a custom preset.
Thanks for your reply. I may be wrong, but – with some exceptions – I guess each of us have a general set of pedal noise we find useful for realism or acceptable. This isn't only about VSL, but many piano libraries have a lot more pedal and key noise than what's common in piano recordings... maybe they'll ad a way to offer pedal settings also on a global level (which can be overridden), ar offer a level for these noises which is closer to what we hear in recorded piano music. I usually listen through good headphones, and find the levels too loud for my taste. Piano players usually have a good routiine of letting go of the sustain pedal in a way that doesn't create too much noise - releasing it slowly gives the least noise, of course.
OTOH – for loud productions, maybe this doesn't matter much.

Thanks for your reply. I may be wrong, but – with some exceptions – I guess each of us have a general set of pedal noise we find useful for realism or acceptable. This isn't only about VSL, but many piano libraries have a lot more pedal and key noise than what's common in piano recordings... maybe they'll ad a way to offer pedal settings also on a global level (which can be overridden), ar offer a level for these noises which is closer to what we hear in recorded piano music. I usually listen through good headphones, and find the levels too loud for my taste. Piano players usually have a good routiine of letting go of the sustain pedal in a way that doesn't create too much noise - releasing it slowly gives the least noise, of course.
OTOH – for loud productions, maybe this doesn't matter much.
Yeah they don't offer that much control in the player at the moment. I usually leave everything at default and if the sound "gets in my way" when i'm in the zone, i lower it a bit. I play free improvisational stuff, so the pedal's bells and whistles are the least of my focus. If you want more control over the pedal noises, i guess you already know that NOIRE offers that in spades.

Ah my bad, i misunderstood. Thought you want more surgical control over the pedal noises etc. Yeah at the moment, all you can do is turn the volume down in the preset and save it as a new custom. Honestly i've never been bothered by overly loud pedal noises in most libraries, except of course the cinematic geared ones ala NOIRE etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik
Top Bottom