What's new

Symphobia or Equivalent

Daisser

I'm looking for a good orchestral effect library for scoring especially for risers, fillers, detuned effects and hits. I have many libraries for the orchestral foundations but Im looking to add a bit of a modern edge especially during transitions. I think this library is it (even Verta uses it) and I would start with the first one.

Questions
Do you agree? Alternatives? Does ProjectSam ever do sales?

A couple of other options come to mind:
Espressivo by Sonokinetic
Albion IV Uist (this is the one I own of the 3)

Ultimately though you'd have to make the final decision as to which one is the right fit for what you want.

A couple of other options come to mind:
Espressivo by Sonokinetic
Albion IV Uist (this is the one I own of the 3)

Ultimately though you'd have to make the final decision as to which one is the right fit for what you want.

I'll check the other recommendations as well, didn't think of the sonokinetics library. In the end I'm curious what some who score here use. I'm not looking for straight synth generated sounds.

You can also take a look at 8Dio's CAGE series. I don't use them very much cause I don't find them really playable. It's more like a really big collection of aleatoric orchestral samples, but the sound quality is absolutely stunning.

I currently use the following for Aleatoric Orchestral FX:

Symphobia 1
Sonokinetic Tutti
Hollywoodwinds (Cinesamples), only WW FX
Cinebrass (Cinesamples), only Brass FX

They are good. You can do a lot with them. Tutti was absolutely worth it for the sale price (I think I got it for 60 dollars). I believe that Espressivo is the next-gen representation of that... so if you have the money, go for it.

However, I'm very happy with currently milking Symph 1 and Tutti for broad orchestral FX.

Mike

All awesome information as always here. Looks like Expressivo or Symphobia could fit the bill. I'm curious of people who own both. It look's like Symphobia has more then expressivo but it seems like the 'more' is regular orchestral patches. It's also twice the price.

Honestly, ProjectSAM is the best there is at what they do. Get both Symphobia 1 and 2. These libs are older, but still stand up to the modern competition, and in some cases are much, much better.

They rarely have sales (compared to other developers), but If you're patient you can find Symphobia in the sales thread and ebay.

Btw, ProjectSAM's customer service is unparalleled.

Also check out Rise & Hit. Its much cheaper than Symphobia and sounds awesome.

Last edited:
It seems like Symphobia has the kitchen sink and Expressivo is a phrase library. I may not need everything in Symphobia but might be limited by the phrases in Expressivo. Expressivo could be a nice tool to learn as I can see how the transitions are written.

Does anyone feel like it's "cheating" using these libraries? You can't easily do the effects part on the sound but you could "write" the orchestration parts of lot of the patches.

Hmm. I saw someone mentioned Albion IV Uist up there and as a spitfire fan (own, Albion, I, II, and Mural Evo) that's a worth consideration. As I only need the warped hits, risers, and effects, maybe it makes sense to get that instead of Symphobia. I read somewhere Symphobia's layout and multis are as awesome as its sound though and I'm curious if its character edges out the Albion Uist (also $100 cheaper).

Top Bottom